Ed's Winter Hammock Hike

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 22, 2003
      I leave tomorrow on my 90 mile hike of the Benton MaKaye Trail, TN &
      GA. Youngblood will be joing me on this cold-weather hammock hike;
      we're expecting some severe cold, snow and ice in the mountains of
      north GA. It was 16F here at my house last night--and it's only
      1,300' elev here! WE'll end up on top of Springer Mtn for the annual
      NYE hiker get-together! Hope to see lots of you hammockers there!
      Wish us luck...Ed

      PS Karen will be monitoring the List while I hike
    • Karen Sousa
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 29, 2003
        I spoke with Ed yesterday. He and Youngblood are having a great hike.
        The first couple of days were quite chilly with highs in the low 30s
        but the daytime temps have been in the 50's the last couple of days
        and they have had some really great hiking. They have both been able
        to stay warm. Ed says the down peapod prototype is working great! The
        plan is still to meet both of them at Springer on NYE and we hope
        y'all can make it up there.

        I'm looking forward to trying out my birthday and Christmas presents!

        Karen

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 29, 2003
          Karen,

          I'm glad to hear they are doing well. My plan is still to hike the
          approach trail from Amacola Falls SP on NYE during the day. I will
          drive down to near there tomorrow and spend the night in camper.

          See y'all there.

          Rick

          Karen Sousa wrote:

          >I spoke with Ed yesterday. He and Youngblood are having a great hike.
          >The first couple of days were quite chilly with highs in the low 30s
          >but the daytime temps have been in the 50's the last couple of days
          >and they have had some really great hiking. They have both been able
          >to stay warm. Ed says the down peapod prototype is working great! The
          >plan is still to meet both of them at Springer on NYE and we hope
          >y'all can make it up there.
          >
          >I'm looking forward to trying out my birthday and Christmas presents!
          >
          >Karen

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 30, 2003
            Karen

            I was thinking about them at yesterday at work. It started raining
            around 1 PM so i imagin it was closer to dark before they got wet.
            Still it raind hard even at 7 PM last night so i imagine they had
            rain most of the night. I have to work NYD or I'd try my best to get
            over there. Tell em Coy Boy says hi. Oh and hi Rick, have fun.

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Sousa" <karens62@a...>

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
              Happy New Year all!

              My 85 mi hike on the Benton MacKaye Trail went very well. Youngblood and I
              left the north trailhead in TN on 23 Dec and reached the southern trailhead
              on Springer Mtn, GA 30 Dec. We skipped some of the road walks, but the rest
              of the trail is very enjoyable with high mountain ridges and riverside
              traverses. The weather was almost perfect with cold nights and cool days
              (18-55F). Rain fell only twice--both times at night after we had already
              set up camp. Some cold wind above 3,000' provided a real test. In fact, we
              were able to test our stay-warm hammock gear in varying conditions and
              elevations. A more detailed trip report will be in the January Hammock
              Camping newsletter (due soon!).

              Youngblood certainly won the smallest backpack prize and put me to shame,
              but we were both carrying extra gear for the actual field testing. Dave's
              "Winter Tarp" was also a clear winner in the cold wind. However, we both
              stayed warm--Dave with his multiple closed-cell foam pads and me with my
              down PeaPods and Top Blankets.

              The highlight of the trip was certainly the hiker gathering atop Springer
              Mtn on New Year's Eve! We had about 25 hikers, including about 5
              southbounders who were finishing their AT thru hike! Everyone enjoyed the
              unseasonably warm temps and clear sky. Good food and drink were enjoyed by
              all. The sunset on NYE and sunrise on NYD were absolutly awesome--a fitting
              way to end one year and start another one! Karen and I hammocked without
              tarps and watched the moon and stars for hours and then watched with awe as
              the sun slowly rose above the mountain ridge to the east! Risk drove from
              Ohio and also set up his hammock near the summit--thanks for showing me all
              of your home-made gear Risk; very well done.

              For those who missed this gathering--you'll not have another chance until
              next year. Plan now to attend!
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                Ed (and Dave)

                sounds like an awsome trip. Will be looking for all the details in
                the news letter. Done looked at my scedual for next year. work new
                years day again. shucks! who said retirment aint all the great.

                Coy Boy

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Ed & All,

                  I finally got around to putting some info together with my trip
                  photos. They can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/29n86 .

                  Youngblood

                • Risk
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                    It really was fun spending New Year's atop Springer. On returning, I
                    can not believe I have no pictures of the hammocks! Many thanks to Ed
                    and Karen for their introductions all around to many of their friends
                    and also for the ride back to my car at Amacoloa Falls.

                    Link to my photo journal from the overnight hike is:

                    http://www.imrisk.com/springernewyear/springer.htm

                    I also changed the banner photo on my homepage to one of the Springer
                    photos. See:

                    http://www.imrisk.com

                    Oh, and Ed, about that newsletter...

                    It is now January 2nd (inside joke)

                    from Risk, Rick, and the rest of us.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                      Dave Womble wrote:

                      >Ed & All,
                      >
                      >I finally got around to putting some info together with my trip
                      >photos. They can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/29n86 .
                      >
                      >Youngblood

                      Great photos Dave. Looks like you had a ball. Sorry to miss you on the
                      31st.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                        Coy, we'll also run a few Hammock Hangers trips throughout the year, so you
                        should have a chance to make one of them. Schedule not set yet--we'll
                        surely return to the Chattooga River again...Ed
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 2, 2004
                          I was waiting for that Rick! Guess I deserve it thou. Maybe tomorrow--I'm
                          too tired to finish it tonight...Ed

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
                            > Great photos Dave. Looks like you had a ball. Sorry to miss you
                            on the
                            > 31st.
                            >
                            > Rick

                            Rick,

                            Sorry I missed you. We finished a day early, I was only a couple of
                            hours from home and I had been out in the woods for a while... so I
                            bolted for home instead of killing time for a day in north GA. In my
                            defense, I spent a lot of time in north GA this year. I was at the
                            outfitters at Neels Gap for a couple of hours the weekend before
                            Thanksgiving with a group of hikers that were involved with a seminar
                            that REI put on. Wished you could have joined us for the last leg of
                            the hike, we could have adjusted or mileage to meet you near the last
                            paved road crossing and hike the last day & a half with you. Maybe I
                            will catch up with you on another trip.

                            Ed & I both learned a lot from the trip. Some things worked well,
                            others didn't quite work as well as we hoped. But we were able to
                            handle what we ran in to.

                            The winter tarp worked pretty well except for my waterproofing job
                            and I also need to add a few more stakes to keep in more taut. I may
                            want to add some shock cord with limits to maintain the tautness when
                            the silnylon stretches. I believe it only trapped a couple of
                            degrees of heat, but more importantly, it keep me from losing heat
                            from the occasional swirls & breezes that are unavoidable unless you
                            are completely concealed from the wind. I think that this helped a
                            good bit when the temperature dropped to the lower limit of my
                            insulation... it kinda makes 20 degree weather feel like 20 degree
                            weather even in slight winds that might make 20 degree weather feel
                            more like 10 degree weather or worse. Of course, the winter tarp is
                            more complex and has a weight penalty so it is difficult to say that
                            the same comfort couldn't be had using other insulation techniques
                            that were simplier and maybe even more weight efficient. At the
                            least, it is another approach that some folks might prefer and some
                            might not (it is sorta a hammock tent made out of a flat tarp),
                            however, it does give you some 'room' where you are out of the wind.

                            The closed cell foam kinda worked. I basically had a stack of three
                            of the standard blue 3/8" closed cell foam pads from REI (they
                            weren't all the same length but they were all 24" wide). These kept
                            me warm enough, but after 14 hours on them on a long winter night, I
                            found that I need more cushioning for my tush (I felt almost
                            bruised). I also found that stuffing clothing to get insulation on
                            the edges around my shoulders was just too much trouble and that
                            using a section of a Zrest didn't work well because any air gap
                            allowed cool air to get to me. One night I substituted a 3/4 length
                            Ridgerest for one of my longer 3/8" pads and this felt a whole lot
                            better on my tush, so from no on I will use that when I am stacking
                            multiple pads and will place it on top of the stack. I am also
                            replacing my 24"x44" cut & taped pad with my 30"x44" cut & taped pad
                            so that I won't need extra insulation around my shoulders. The cut &
                            tapped pads fold accordian style into a 24"x11" stack or 30x11" stack
                            and are used as the back support/cushion for my Golite Breeze
                            backpack. The wider 30" pad means that the pads will have to extend
                            5" into my extension collar when it is in my backpack. Anyway, what
                            I used were three stacked pads: one 3/8"x24"x44" and two 3/8"x24"x56"
                            with a seperate 3/8"x20"x11" in my backpack under my feet. What I
                            would take if I had a 'do-over' would be a stack of three pads: one
                            3/8"x30"x44", one 3/8"x24"x67" (I taped the foot pad onto the 56"
                            long pad) and one 5/8"x20"x48" Ridgerest pad on top.

                            I must say that I took a lot longer to make/break camp than Ed did
                            with his 'mountain of down' and I was more worried about me staying
                            warm than I was about Ed staying warm... I think Ed has this figured
                            out better than I do.

                            Oh yeah, there were a couple of things that I have used before that
                            also worked well on this trip. I have accessory cords tied into the
                            knots of my two-layer hammock so that I can attach my pads to the
                            same postion every time. They worked fine, just as the have in the
                            past. Also, the shock cord harness system that I have for attaching
                            two closed cell foam pads on the back of my Golite Breeze backpack
                            performed fine and didn't have any breakdowns.

                            So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                            Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                            Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                            Fontana Dam?

                            Dave
                            aka Youngblood
                          • Coy
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004

                              > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                              > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                              > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                              > Fontana Dam?
                              >
                              > Dave
                              > aka Youngblood

                              Dave

                              well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more free
                              time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters. The
                              penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got sick
                              on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont mind
                              hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                              is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                              anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the same
                              trails around my house all the time and still love it. will holler
                              when I get a few free days.

                              Coy Boy
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
                                Coy,

                                Okay. Do you want to start at Three Forks or at Springer? US42
                                crosses the AT at Three Forks at mileage marker 4.1. GA60 crosses
                                the AT at Woody Gap at mileage marker 20 and US19 crosses the AT at
                                Neels Gap at mileage marker 30.7.

                                Dave

                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                                <dpwomble@y...>
                                > wrote:
                                >

                                > > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast? The
                                > > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The Foothills
                                > > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south of
                                > > Fontana Dam?
                                > >
                                > > Dave
                                > > aka Youngblood
                                >
                                > Dave
                                >
                                > well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more free
                                > time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters. The
                                > penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got
                                sick
                                > on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont
                                mind
                                > hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                                > is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                                > anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the same
                                > trails around my house all the time and still love it. will holler
                                > when I get a few free days.
                                >
                                > Coy Boy
                              • Coy
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 5, 2004
                                  Three Forks sounds good but whichever works better fo parking. In
                                  fact any section will do. and loop hiking or in and back is ok. ie
                                  parking both vehicles at the same place, or the shuttle where we
                                  meet at the ending, leave one vehicle and drive to start in the
                                  other. I'll holler as sonn as I see an opening. Will see if Paul is
                                  available too.

                                  Coy Boy

                                  > Coy,
                                  >
                                  > Okay. Do you want to start at Three Forks or at Springer? US42
                                  > crosses the AT at Three Forks at mileage marker 4.1. GA60 crosses
                                  > the AT at Woody Gap at mileage marker 20 and US19 crosses the AT
                                  at
                                  > Neels Gap at mileage marker 30.7.
                                  >
                                  > Dave

                                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                                  > <dpwomble@y...>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > > So, is anyone up for another winter hike in the southeast?
                                  The
                                  > > > Pinhoti Trail is pretty sweet this time of year. The
                                  Foothills
                                  > > > Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Chattooga Trail and the AT south
                                  of
                                  > > > Fontana Dam?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Dave
                                  > > > aka Youngblood
                                  > >
                                  > > Dave
                                  > >
                                  > > well as soon as basketball season is over i should have more
                                  free
                                  > > time. as it is I can only find time for short overnighters.
                                  The
                                  > > penhoti sounds great but I'd also like to rehike the hike I got
                                  > sick
                                  > > on. Sort of feel like I owe it another shot. I guess you dont
                                  > mind
                                  > > hiking the same trails several times. I know i dont, (mind that
                                  > > is) I find the more trips the more i enjoy the scenery becaus i
                                  > > anit anticipating whats next since i already know. I hike the
                                  same
                                  > > trails around my house all the time and still love it. will
                                  holler
                                  > > when I get a few free days.
                                  > >
                                  > > Coy Boy
                                • biker135803
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                                    Coy and Dave,
                                    Count me in on ANY winter hike. I jus got rid of a flock of
                                    Christmas guests and only hunting season stands in the way. Hunting
                                    days can be shuffled to accommodate hiking. Gotta use my DAM again.
                                    Paul
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                                      OK--I'm jealous guys. I know I just got home from a winter hike with Dave,
                                      but I guess you never get enough. And this warm weather is definitely not
                                      helping--feels like spring around here! I can't seem to get back into the
                                      dedication of office work--oh well, I know you guys will have a good
                                      hike--Dave is awesom with the maps! I am back off to Neels Gap tonight and
                                      Springer Mtn tomorrow am--droping Linguini off on his hike to Key West.
                                      Then it's back to the sweat shop know as hammock manufacturing. LOL! ...Ed

                                      Hammock Camping (the book) ISBN 0-9718594-4-2
                                      The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom
                                      also FREE Reports! FREE Hammock Camping Newsletters!
                                      http://www.hammockcamping.com

                                      Speer Hammocks, Inc
                                      Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
                                      34 Clear Creek Road
                                      Marion, NC 28752-6407
                                      828.724.4444
                                      http://www.speerhammocks.com
                                      info@...

                                      Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
                                      free online newsletter
                                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News
                                      http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm

                                      Hammock Camping-L (email List)
                                      a free open discussion group Learn from the experts
                                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping

                                    • Mark Hooper
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                                        Hey Ed,
                                        I got your book yesterday and couldn't put it down without finishing. I look forward to meeting you sometime on one of the campouts (if HH's are alllowed).

                                        Mark Hooper
                                        Charleston SC