Re: I am new here

  • letmedangle
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 21, 2003
      I can give two answers to this question, one practical and one philosophical.

      I live in the Pacific NW, where it's only a little cold, but very rainy. I like being up off
      the sodden ground and out of the puddles. To make this work requires insulation
      under the hammock, since it's too cold without it. Thus my effort on my under-quilt.
      (for which the link on Ed Speer's site is broken, courtesy ATT - I'll fix it RSN).

      The philosophical answer is that some enthusiatic people expended a lot of effort to
      make dome tents, bivy sacks, mummy bags, etc. That stuff didn't just fall from the
      sky ready-made. We're pioneering a new form of sleep system for backpacking.
      Someday you'll be able to buy a well designed hammock with a well designed under-
      quilt that works very nicely in a specified temp range, just like with tents and bags.

      I agree that there will be lower limits to the temp range for which a hammock makes
      sense, but for the southerners and us NW-ers a little insulation can make the
      hammock a superior solution for the temps we normally encounter.

      Ed