Desert hamocking

  • bobmac18704
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2003
      Hello group; My name is bob and i've been lurking on this site ever since i bought my ultralite hennessy.I haven't taken my new hammock on a trip yet because it's just to darn cold. But i'm looking forward to the first trip. I do have a question though. Next august i'm headed for a two week kayaking trip thru the grand canyon. I would like to use this hammock as my crib for the trip.With the absence of trees what other options do i have.If i have to set up on the ground i'd just as soon take a tarp. Is their any type of break down tree or hammock stand that anyone has tried. Weight is not a factor here but size is. Our raft support crew has certain size bags it has to fit in. I've never been there before but would expect to be camped on sand and gravel bars and beaches. So i guess my question would be is it possible. Thanks Bob Mac
    • polecatpop
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2003
        Hey Bob,

        Many of the sandbars you will be camping on will have some trees
        (kind of) Tamarisk, russion olive etc. If you move a little away
        from the river you can get into juniper etc. Many of these won't be
        real thick but 3 inches or so is all you need at about six foot high.

        However the challenge would be to find two close enough to use. You
        might want to use a guyed pole or 2 (could be a single staff or a
        breakdown tentpole for the other end. Guy it with a couple of lines
        and stakes, happy sleeping. Your guylines should be reasonbly long,
        your stakes should be reasonable stout.

        The key would be to try it out at home first!!

        An advantage you will have over the tenters and tarpers is wherever
        they pick to sleep is invariavly directly over someone else's old
        latrine. I know it isn't proper river protocl but it happens. And
        they always seem to pick the only sweet camping spot on the sandbar.

        More than just Treehangers.....

        Ralph
      • firefly
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 2003

          I have been there many, many times, including a winter river trip. August is G-awful. So hot you may have a hard time sleeping. I advise you to forget the hammock, and take the biggest pad you can find. There are waterproof pads called Paco Pads. They’re heavenly. No place to hang the hammock, seriously. Marsanne

          ·         Hello group; My name is bob and i've been lurking on this site ever since i bought my ultralite hennessy.I haven't taken my new hammock on a trip yet because it's just to darn cold. But i'm looking forward to the first trip. I do have a question though. Next august i'm headed for a two week kayaking trip thru the grand canyon. I would like to use this hammock as my crib for the trip.With the absence of trees what other options do i have.If i have to set up on the ground i'd just as soon take a tarp. Is their any type of break down tree or hammock stand that anyone has tried. Weight is not a factor here but size is. Our raft support crew has certain size bags it has to fit in. I've never been there before but would expect to be camped on sand and gravel bars and beaches. So i guess my question would be is it possible.   Thanks Bob Mac

          .

        • subypower
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 21, 2003
            i would think a hammock would be much cooler in the heat, with every
            nice breeze on both sides of you and not sweating on a pad

            white knight

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
            > I have been there many, many times, including a winter river trip.
            August is
            > G-awful. So hot you may have a hard time sleeping. I advise you to
            forget
            > the hammock, and take the biggest pad you can find. There are
            waterproof
            > pads called Paco Pads. They're heavenly. No place to hang the
            hammock,
            > seriously. Marsanne
          • firefly
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 22, 2003

              You don’t need it for bug protection, because there are no bugs. Lots of snakes that time of year, but no bugs. I almost always think a hammock is better, IF there is a place to hang it. I cannot think of one single campsite along that river where I could have hung my HH.  Have you been there, White Knight?

              Marsanne