RE: Hammock Camping Re: Bottom Quilt for HH...

    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 4, 2003
      Message
      Thanks for the links to the Expend down-filled air mattress, Matthew.  I was not aware of these.  Like you said they sound similar to the Warmlight DAM, which I have used successfully in my hammock.  Looks like the Expend would work equally as well...Ed
      By the way, has anyone seen this?

      <http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/bc533c91605f6841c12566e6006e0c82/abe00eea82521552c1256ae2002374a4!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,down,mattress>

      <http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/sleeping_pads/exped_downairmattress.html>

      - Matthew Takeda
      - the JOAT
    • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 4, 2003
        Bill

        Be carefull. You may be building a better mouse trap. If it works
        out and the cost is reasonable I would like for you to build me one.
        Or could you supply or tell me where to get these tubes and how to
        seal them off and add a stopper for adding/removing the air.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, wsmurdoch@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 2/4/03 5:25:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        Matthew Takeda <

      • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 5, 2003
          Since it is cold outside and my HH arrives in the UPS today, I keep
          thinking of ways to add warmth.

          Ed's use of leaves between the hammock and the pea pod bottom started
          me thinking of other ways to have a breathable dead air space. I
          began to think of carrying just a nylon shell which velcros to the
          bottom of the hammock and which could be stuffed with dry leaves.

          But what if there are no dry leaves? Well, clothes could work in the
          space under the hammock... or rain gear, or rucksack.

          But if that works, why not just the nylon shell alone hanging a
          couple inches below the hammock - or perhaps two layers which are not
          quite the same size, so they hang away from each other. How about
          sewing "tubes" which self inflate because the bottom cross-section of
          the the tube is a little longer than the top of the tube and the
          bottom hangs down a bit more?

          True, there will be convection currents in the air filled spaces
          which will not work quite as well as space filled with down or other
          insulation... but it might be quite good enough for most cases.

          Has anyone already tried these approaches?? It seems they could add
          considerable warmth for just a tiny bit of weight (1-2 oz of 1.1 oz
          material) and almost no bulk.

          Rick aka Flyfisher <><
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 5, 2003
            Message
            While I haven't tried exactly what you're suggesting Flyfisher, I have noticed that any dead air space is better than none at all.  Of course the smaller the dead air spaces in an insulating thickness, the slower the overall heat loss and the better it works.  For instance skirting around a moble home works wonders keeping out cold wind; thus the house is warmer and heating bills are lower.  However, my limited experience with large dead air spaces beheath my hammock is that they are significantly colder than filling those spaces with insulation.  In fact it is often warmer to eliminate the large dead air space and relpace it with a much thiner insulation.  For instance, when my PeaPod sleeping bag is kept open on the top, it can sag below the bottom of the hammock and create a large dead air space there (6-10" deep).  It can be significantly warmer on my bottom to tuck up the PeaPod to elmininate this dead air space and bring the 0.8"-thick PeaPod insulation right up to the bottom of the hammock.

            The Clark Jungle Hammock, a very adequate camping hammock, has 6 large gear pockets beneath the hammock fabric.  The pocket fabric is the same non-breathable fabric as the hammock.  Filling the pockets with gear, clothes, leaves, etc. creates a bottom insulation similar to your ideas (and others posted previously on this List).  While the bottom pockets are handy, they must be fully stuffed with gear or clothes to provide adquate insulation in cool weather; I found that only overstuffing them with leaves worked in below freezing temps.  Thus, in cold temps, the bottom pockets worked best when large dead air spaces were replaced with tiny dead air spaces.

            The double-bottom idea you mentioned is employed in several hammock models--but I suspect, it's still necessary to add proper insulation in cold conditions.

            Dead air space is the best insulation---it just takes a hell of a lot of them to be warm!  But even a sleeping bag which has millions of dead air spaces does not stop heat loss--it only slows it down long enough for one to get a good night's sleep.  If you have too few dead air spaces around you, the heat loss is too fast.

            The various systems most folks are describing on this List employ a combination of items, such as 1) one or more wind blocking fabrics to create a large dead air space, and 2)  one or more insulation layers consisting of millions of tiny dead air spaces.  Some of us also emply a radiant heat reflector fabric...Ed

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 5, 2003
              Very well said as always! I think the improvement made by the
              insulation is in the break-up of convection currents without adding
              conduction paths. I'm with Sgt ROCK in believing that it is very
              hard to break out the effects of vapor barrier vs reflection on the
              shiny fabrics/materials.

              Yes, I had never seen an adequate description of the Clark Hammock,
              but after I did the patent search on the Hennessy hammock, I just
              went searching for hammock and tarp. The Clark patent came up and I
              see from the drawings how the pockets would work just like the idea I
              posted (and is listed in the patent as doing so). It is certainly
              not the first time I have had an idea and found out that it has
              already been patented!!

              I look forward to getting your book in the mail tomorrow Ed. I look
              forward to trying out the new hammock this afternoon. I look forward
              to all the experiments everyone is doing with the cold.

              Rick aka Flyfisher

> [...]
              >
              > But what if there are no dry leaves? Well, clothes could work in
              the
              > space under the hammock... or rain gear, or rucksack.
              >
              > But if that works, why not just the nylon shell alone hanging a
              > couple inches below the hammock - or perhaps two layers which are
              not
              > quite the same size, so they hang away from each other. How about
              > sewing "tubes" which self inflate because the bottom cross-section
              of
              > the the tube is a little longer than the top of the tube and the
              > bottom hangs down a bit more?
              >
              > True, there will be convection currents in the air filled spaces
              > which will not work quite as well as space filled with down or
              other
              > insulation... but it might be quite good enough for most cases.

              M=237194.2927557.4274366.2848452/D=egrou
            • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 5, 2003
                <snip>
                I look forward to all the experiments everyone is doing with the
                cold.

                GGGGGoooodddd tttttooo haaaaave youuuu alllloonnnnnng - ;)

                Tim
              • tcoug7 <tcoug7@aol.com>
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 5, 2003
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "geoflyfisher
                  <geoflyfisher@y...>" <geoflyfisher@y...> wrote:
                  > Very well said as always! I think the improvement made by the
                  > insulation is in the break-up of convection currents without adding
                  > conduction paths.

                  That's true, but as you know, heat is transferred by either
                  conduction, convection or radiation. Actually in our instance, by
                  all three simutaneously. But, by creating millions of 'cells' of
                  dead air space, each one becomes more stable with regards to dynamic
                  changes. The overall effect on a macroscopic view is an insulating
                  layer. But, on a microscopic view, each little cell is doing it's
                  own thing. Just like the fiberglass insulation in you house walls.
                  If it was just to create a dead air space, then there would be no
                  need for the 'pain-in-the-a@#-to-install' stuff. Rather, by creating
                  millions of little dead air spaces, a much more stable layer is
                  created - which translates into much greater resistance to changein
                  temperature.

                  PS - I'm for the vapor layer. Radiant heat loss is real. It may be
                  least important, but we are really trying to capture all heat that's
                  available - so we sleep better. In my tests, I feel it's made a
                  difference.
                • debweisenstein <dweisens@aer.com>
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 6, 2003
                    Ed, what about an easy modification of the PeaPod to add mitten
                    hooks or toggles to the inside of the Peapod along the edges of the
                    hammock so that the PeaPod could be left open but attached to the
                    hammock in a way that it couldn't sag. This would mimick the
                    underquilts people are designing for the Hennessey and provide
                    more flexibility. Also, do you ever keep the PeaPod attached to
                    your hammock and stuff the whole thing together? Or roll up the
                    hammock with foam pad inside?

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 6, 2003
                      Message
                      Good thinking Deb, but one can easily position the PeaPod the prevent this sag.  Since the PeaPod and my hammock both have Velcro along the long edges, the PeaPod can be Velcroed to one edge of the hammock and the other edge can be tucked inside the hammock far enought to eliminate the unwanted air space bleow.  Of course when the PePod is fully wrapped around the hammock, there is no botom sag anyway.

                      And yes, I often keep the PeaPod and hammock together and stuff them together into my pack.  On a recent trip, my partner used the Moonbow Gearskin pack which easily allowed him to stuff the PeaPod, hammock, sleep pads, and sleeping bag all together into the pack at the same time--it was very simple and took only 1-2 minutes from take down to be fully packed!  Sure beats stuffing gear into tiny stuff bags on cold mornings!...Ed
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 6, 2003
                        After my post yesterday... Thanks to all who responded with great
                        ideas, I got an email off list pointing me to the Garlington
                        insulator, a "taco" shell hanging below the hammock. R. Garlington
                        (first name unknown to me) has a site describing the contraption at:

                        http://www.mindspring.com/~rgarling/Insulator.htm

                        I built one last night, having a bit of silnylon on hand for a
                        project I will not do, and hope to test it soon in our cold weather.

                        Ed mentioned in his post that insulation is inefficient if a lot of
                        sag exists between the hammock and the insulation. Great point, that
                        I had forgotten. Since the warmth will be due to my body heating up
                        the insulation area, a large space will take more energy to heat than
                        a rather small space. (Vpor barrier warming methods are the ultamet
                        end of this line of reasoning.) But having a couple inches of dead
                        space can take less energy than having many inches of dead space...
                        if there is little gradient across that dead space... ie if the space
                        is not filled with many little spaces like down.

                        The other problem is movement in the space. The more the space moves
                        around, the more mixing occurs, and the more heat is lost by the
                        enhanced convection.

                        The Garlington insulator attempts to minimize this motion and a
                        uniformly medium thick layer of dead space by sandwitching plastic
                        gargage bags, partly inflated with air between the hammock and a
                        silnylon shell.

                        Well, its a great theory. And it is going to be cold tonight...
                        maybe too cold at 10, but I may get a data point tonight or soon.