Strap Sewing???

  • polecatpop
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 18, 2003
      I have a new HH and the treehugger straps, while adequate just
      aren't long enough. Does this austere body of experts have any
      suggestions for sewing bigger, better, longer, wider straps?

      I have access to an industrial sewing machine from the local
      University.
      What thread, what pattern, what size, what lengths work best.

      The trees I'm interested in hugging go from 4 inches to 24 inches.

      What should I look for in web?

      I have access to some Kevlar 1 inch strapping. Will that work?

      Suggestions?

      Thanks

      Ralph
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 18, 2003
        Ralph,

        I would suggest that you call Tom Hennessy and explain what you need
        to him, I suspect he has solved that problem many times. And more
        importantly, he probably knows what doesn't work... you don't want to
        use something that might fail.

        Dave

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "polecatpop" <polecatpop@y...>
        wrote:
        > I have a new HH and the treehugger straps, while adequate just
        > aren't long enough. Does this austere body of experts have any
        > suggestions for sewing bigger, better, longer, wider straps?
        >
        > I have access to an industrial sewing machine from the local
        > University.
        > What thread, what pattern, what size, what lengths work best.
        >
        > The trees I'm interested in hugging go from 4 inches to 24 inches.
        >
        > What should I look for in web?
        >
        > I have access to some Kevlar 1 inch strapping. Will that work?
        >

        > Suggestions?
        >

        > Thanks
        >
        > Ralph
      • Risk
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 19, 2003
          Ralph,

          Actually the answer is very simple. It is much like Ed Speer explains
          in his book for making the webbing connection with the Speer Hammock.
          I don't know anything about the kevlar webbing, so I won't comment.
          You can use an industrial sewing machine, but a home model will work.
          If the kevlar is not too hard for the needle to go through, it will
          "probably" work. It may fray much easier than the more standard
          materials, because the kevlar thread is a lot like dental floss.

          My recommendation: You need some 1 inch polyproplene webbing. Nylon
          is OK but will stretch a little. Polyester is even better, however the
          only practical source is Ed Speer's website. The kind of webbing is
          not all that important for the tree huggers in the way it is for Speer
          Hammock support webbing. The webbing should be available for 50-80
          cents per yard. You can get it at OWC, seattle fabrics, or Quest
          Outfitters on the web, or you can likely get good enough stuff at
          WalMart. You will also need some 100 percent polyester thread, not
          cotton wrapped thread. Walmart sells white or black polyester thread
          for 50 cents, or better (Gutterman) thread is available from OWC and
          others. I find it useful to sew with a thread that is a contrasting
          color from the material.

          Cut with a hot knife to the length you desire plus 8 inches. The hot
          knife will seal the edges so they do not unravel. Fold over the ends
          to the real length you desire. Sew a bar tack 1.5 inches from the end
          of the loop, then at the end of the overlapped web, then half way between.

          To sew the bar tack: set your machine for zig-zag stitching, width
          about 3mm, length about 1 mm. Sew across the overlapped straps
          beginning about 1mm from the edge to 1 mm from the far edge, backup
          along the same path, and then go forward again along the same path.
          One bar tack is done. Sew the other two. Now do the same for the
          other end of the tree hugger. Now sew the two ends of the other tree
          hugger.

          This should take about 10 minutes once your sewing machine is out.

          One suggested webbing is:
          http://www.owfinc.com/Hardware/Shardware/webbing.asp
          WP1H is incredibly strong 1 inch webbing.

          And thread is:
          http://www.owfinc.com/Hardware/Shardware/thread.asp

          The other source (good enough) is WalMart sewing area.

          I hope this helps.

          Rick

          wrote:
          > I have a new HH and the treehugger straps, while adequate just
          > aren't long enough. Does this austere body of experts have any
          > suggestions for sewing bigger, better, longer, wider straps?

        • Lenny Nichols
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 19, 2003

            "polecatpop" <polecatpop@...> wrote:

            > I have a new HH and the treehugger straps, while adequate

            > just aren't long enough. Does this austere body of experts
            > have any suggestions for sewing bigger, better, longer,
            > wider straps?

            > The trees I'm interested in hugging go from 4 inches to

            > 24 inches.

            Hennessy sells longer straps. I got some because I had the same problem. They are 2 inches wide and 72 inches long. Check their website at http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.htm . See "Special Orders" about half way down the page.

            Regards,

            Lenny Nichols, PMP

          • rosaleen43@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
              Guys,

              You will have better luck in reaching Ann Hennessy than Tom, unless you have a number for him in New Zealand.  He is working on building up their holdings there.

              You can order longer straps from Hennessy Hammocks.  Try looking under accessories.  If you choose to make your own, see if you can pick up some pointers from the straps made for various Hennessy Hammocks.  I've see, for at least some hammocks, as the weight rating increases, the straps seem to be a bit wider.  The max, I think was the straps on the Safari model, those were seat belt webbing, maybe 2 inches wide.

              All the straps that I've looked at were sewn with an "X box" pattern.  It looks like a rectangular box, just fitting the width of the strap, with an "X" of stitching in the box, corner to corner.  There is a machine especially designed to sew this pattern.  It seems logical that, if so many manufacturers are using this that there is a special machine to perform the operation, it is an ideal fastening stitch.

              It is also logical to use a heavier thread.  If you don't need a lot more for other projects, see if you can find a home sewer sized spool of NYLON button and carpet thread.  It is much larger in diameter and strength than the stuff usually sold for general sewing.  You want nylon or polyester thread rather than cotton.  Cotton rots too soon for outdoor projects.  You will also need a heavy duty needle, and to loosen the tension on you bobbin.

              Hope this Helps!

              Rosaleen

              From: "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@...>
              Subject: Re: Strap Sewing???

              wrote:
              > I have a new HH and the treehugger straps, while adequate just
              > aren't long enough. Does this austere body of experts have any
              > suggestions for sewing bigger, better, longer, wider straps?

            • ciyd01
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
                Most of my hammocking requires very long tree huggers. I use 10 foot
                lengths of tubular webbing and have had one instance where one of
                those was just barely long enough. So the 72" versions from
                Hennessey would not work for me.

                I do not sew my webbing. I tie a loop in the ends with a water knot
                (this is just like an overhand knot except it is a 'follow through'
                knot that leaves a loop on the end). I use a wire gate climbing
                carabiner, the lightest I can find, on each end so that the support
                rope of the hammock does not saw through the tubular webbing. You
                could probably get by with PolyPro webbing instead of tubular, I just
                had 2 pieces that I retired from my climbing rack that I use.

                You can see an example in my pictures section of the setup I took on
                a beach camping trip.

                ciyd