Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Rope tension

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003
      > > PS If anyone would like a copy of the spreadsheet so they can
      > > calculate their stress level, give me a holler.

      I just got it out of the files section. This is very useful. Any
      possibility I could get permission to put this on my website. Seems like
      something we would want in the Wiki too.

      Shane (not Mirage)
    • polecatpop
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
        > > > PS If anyone would like a copy of the spreadsheet so they
        can
        > > > calculate their stress level, give me a holler.
        >
        > I just got it out of the files section. This is very useful. Any
        > possibility I could get permission to put this on my website.
        Seems like
        > something we would want in the Wiki too.
        >
        > Shane (not Mirage)

        Of course!!

        I'm really hoping somebody will have some suggestions to improve it!
      • Shane
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003
          > Of course!!
          >
          > I'm really hoping somebody will have some suggestions to improve it!

          Actually, simple is better. How should the credit read?

          Shane
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003
            Shane,

            As you remember, we also made these calculations about a year ago.  It came up again 6 months ago.  It was a mistake to not get something out on our sites then.  Though Wiki will not take the spreadsheet directly, it will take the output.  Please feel free to post a set of angle and tension measurements on the Hammock Wiki!  It would be cool to have someone else actually post something there!

            Hammock Wiki, a group written encyclopedia on hammock camping is here:
            http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl

            Rick

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/z1TolB/TM

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003
              Message
              Just so no one gets hurt--be aware that the listed stresses are static, not dynamic stresses.  This is a very important distinction since the dynamic stresses caused by body movements inside the hammock can exert many times the static stress to the hanging ropes/straps!  Just turning over in a hammock will exert extreme dynamic stresses.  For safety and peace of mind, the hanging hardware MUST be many times stronger than the stresses give in this table.

              The concept demonstrated by the table (that the static stresses diminish as the hanging angle gets lower) is well protrayed...Ed

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
                > As you remember, we also made these calculations about a year ago. It
                came
                > up again 6 months ago. It was a mistake to not get something out on our
                sites
                > then.

                Agreed. I need to get my act back together. I've started making changes to
                the website again. I'm going to be posting some stuff in January, and
                working on the next part of 'Why Hammock?'. In February I hope to take some
                more pictures of some unique setups, and maybe some more video. I've been
                working on a hanging camp chair that can also be used as a hammock, although
                I have quite a way to go on that...

                > Though Wiki will not take the spreadsheet directly, it will take the
                output.
                > Please feel free to post a set of angle and tension measurements on the
                > Hammock Wiki! It would be cool to have someone else actually post
                > something there!

                Will do. I've been meaning to get back to that too. I think for my website
                I'll post the XL spreadsheet, but provide sample data for a range of weights
                in 20 pound increments. Not everyone can run XL.

                Shane