RE: [Hammock Camping] hung down hammock

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003
      Message
      Rick, I still remember your experience with ripped fabric on the hammock edge and I've also seen it.  I think the stresses on the edges of the hammock are greater than one would imagine.  Every time one gets into or out of the Speer hammock, there are great stresses applied to the hammock edges--this can cause failure at any weak point, such as needle holes in edge hems or stitches holding the Velcro strips.  damage is usually not immediate, but worsens over time until the point of failure is reached.  Constant viligance is called for.

      The recent posts suggesting adding the quilted insulation to the bottom fabric of a two-bottom hammock makes good sense....Ed