proper Speer tension?

  • mindrehab248
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 14, 2003
      I'm trying a loaner Speer hammock (thanks Ed!). I'm trying to figure
      out how tightly (or loosely) to hang it. I read the tips on
      hammockcamping.com, but I'm still not sure that I'm getting the best
      possible fit. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
      Also, the setup instructions mention loosening the bugnet's
      ridgeline before setting it up, then tightening it again after it is
      set up. How does that impact the hammock's tension, or is that just
      to determine the height of the bug net above you? Thanks for your
      ideas!
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 14, 2003
        I posted my method on post #2652. This was based on a 32 degree sag
        angle. If that is too confusing let me know and I will try to
        explain it again.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mindrehab248"
        <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:
        > I'm trying a loaner Speer hammock (thanks Ed!). I'm trying to
        figure
        > out how tightly (or loosely) to hang it. I read the tips on
        > hammockcamping.com, but I'm still not sure that I'm getting the
        best
        > possible fit. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
        > Also, the setup instructions mention loosening the bugnet's
        > ridgeline before setting it up, then tightening it again after it
        is
        > set up. How does that impact the hammock's tension, or is that just
        > to determine the height of the bug net above you? Thanks for your
        > ideas!
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
          My method is to tie the hammock ropes at about eye-level,
          and leave enough slack so that the middle of the hammock is
          just above the backs of my knees. When I sit in the hammock,
          it's the right height to serve as a chair, with my thighs
          more or less horizontal and no uncomfortable pressure on the
          backs of my knees.

          All this presupposes trees that are at a given separation.

          I don't know if this gives the best tension for sleeping,
          but it works well for me.

          Bear
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
            Bear's advice is below. I do something very different. I tie the
            hammock up between mid chest and waist level. I tie it between the
            trees so it is straight. When I sit in it, the weight causes the
            support ropes to come down to about 30 degrees below the horizontal. My
            bottom ends up about 18-24 inches off the ground. Different strokes for
            different folks.

            Rick

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
              Rick,

              The sag of the support ropes on my homemade Speer hammock doesn't
              seem to vary much at all when I get in it. I don't use a sewn-in bug
              net like you do. Do you think the difference is the stretch/tautness
              of your bug net?

              Dave

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
                Dave Womble wrote:

                >Rick,
                >
                >The sag of the support ropes on my homemade Speer hammock doesn't
                >seem to vary much at all when I get in it. I don't use a sewn-in bug
                >net like you do. Do you think the difference is the stretch/tautness
                >of your bug net?
                >
                >Dave

                Its that and likely the poly webbing I use. You may use something a
                little less prone to stretch. The bug net causes a sag of an in or two
                in the hammock itself. With the standard Speer hammock I always set it
                up the same way.

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
                  I posted a MSWord document in the 'Files' section titled "Hanging a
                  Speer Hammock.doc". Hopefully this will clarify how I hang my Speer
                  Hammock. It is very short and I hope easy to understand.

                  Youngblood

                  > I posted my method on post #2652. This was based on a 32 degree
                  sag
                  > angle. If that is too confusing let me know and I will try to
                  > explain it again.
                  >
                  > Youngblood
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mindrehab248"
                  > <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:
                  > > I'm trying a loaner Speer hammock (thanks Ed!). I'm trying to
                  > figure
                  > > out how tightly (or loosely) to hang it. I read the tips on
                  > > hammockcamping.com, but I'm still not sure that I'm getting the
                  > best
                  > > possible fit. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
                  > > Also, the setup instructions mention loosening the bugnet's
                  > > ridgeline before setting it up, then tightening it again after it
                  > is
                  > > set up. How does that impact the hammock's tension, or is that
                  just
                  > > to determine the height of the bug net above you? Thanks for your
                  > > ideas!
                • Karen Sousa
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
                    That's a great file - the pictures and text are easy for anyone to
                    understand. I had to chuckle though. My method for deciding if there
                    is enough sag is quite different than yours. It's not quite as exact
                    but evolved from the fact that Ed and I are comfortable with two
                    significantly different amounts of sag.

                    I find two trees and tie up the hammock, step back and look at it.
                    Yup, it looks good. Climb in, lie in it a few minutes, get out if
                    not perfect, fiddle with it, add sag, repeat process a time or two
                    until I am comfy. Take a long nap, get up, have dinner, readjust sag
                    as needed based on findings from nap. Lie down to sleep. Wake up well
                    rested in the morning.

                    The long nap is the key component to my methodology. The other motto
                    to live by is, when in doubt, add more sag!

                    Karen

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
                      Karen,

                      I like your procedure! It is simple, fun and honest. Only
                      improvement I can think of is to work in coffee and a piece of apple
                      pie. yummm

                      Dave

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Sousa" <karens62@a...>