salmon chowder on the trail

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2003
      Hi, Gang-

      I have this message today in my E-mail, so I will answer to the group as well as to HopLite.

      *fainting*  Salmon chowder on the trail??!?  Tell me how this wondrous thing is achieved??  Please???
      HopLite

      I can't give you very many absolute measurements for most of my "recipes."  Growing up, I was one of those kids who helped in the kitchen, flipped through cookbooks to study like any other reference book, and learned to improvise.   A lot of what I do is whim or availability driven.  The salmon chowder was something I put together when I figured I'd spend most of the summer hiking and put together about a month's worth of lunches and dinners from individual ingredients I'd dehydrated.

      Rule of thumb for me-Figure on actual serving being about 1 1/2 times the recommended servings for most foods.  I happened to have some Bear Creek potato soup mix on hand the weekend I put this together.  So, guessing what I'd likely have done: 1 1/2 measures of a "serving" of the soup mix, with 1 to 2 tablespoons each of dried celery, dried cut corn, and dehydrated potato flakes.  Also, 1/3 cup of dry milk, and maybe 1/3 of the packet I would have made from a can of dehydrated salmon, and 2 teaspoons of "Butter Buds," 1/2 teaspoon of lemon-pepper salt, 2 teaspoons of dried onion flakes, and 2 teaspoons of dried parsley.

      Really, HopLite, and All, these are mentally reconstructed guesses.  If I were low on one thing, I might come up with something else to toss in.  Dehydrated red bell pepper or spinach might suit a mood, or some sort of dried cheese, or dried bacon bits (or soy substitute).  If I planned on sharing this with someone that I know really dislikes celery but likes corn chowder, I might skip the celery and increase the corn and parsley.  The fun of preparing one's own concoctions is the creativity and flexibility involved.  I try really hard to include vegetables as I would at home, and look for ways to sneak in milk for calcium and high quality protein.

      I can tell you when I had the chowder on the trail, hubby had dropped me off along the Mass. Midstate Trail about 9 AM one Saturday.  Within 20 minutes, the sky opened up and it poured for most of the next 10 hours, or so.  I passed along a lot of swamp, and the mosquitoes were in feeding frenzy any time the rain slowed in intensity.  When I felt like lunch, because the 'skeeters were hovering, I grabbed a nutrition bar and kept walking.  So, when I came to a shelter on higher ground about 3 PM, I was happy to stop and get out a stove.  The soup was wonderful and a real boost to body and spirit.  I mixed the concoction up with about 2 cups of water in my LaBatt's Beer can pot over my candle cup stove, and brought it to boiling, maintained the boil for about 5 minutes, and let it coast in a cozy.  I really enjoyed the meal.  It was the first time I remember hiking nearly the whole day in steady rain, or switching my lunch for dinner menu.  Because I plan on one hot meal a day on the trail, I ate my planned cold "lunch" sitting in my hammock later that night once I'd made camp and changed to dry clothes.  I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't miss the hot supper, and the snug hammock, up off the soaked ground, sure was wonderful, too!

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen