RE: Hammock Camping RE: Radiant Heat Reflectors

  • Ernest Engman
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2003
      Message

      Thanks Ed. I think the two strongest sections of your book are the part on cold weather and building a hammock IMHO.

      And again, I hope everyone doesn’t think I’m putting them down for using a heat reflector or thinking the reason that they are staying warm is radiant heat reflection. I’m just certain now more than ever that there isn’t the science to support that. BUT, people using them are staying warm. If that is true, then how? If we can figure that out, then maybe more efficient systems can be found to make it work.

      Ernest Engman

      AKA SGT Rock

      sgtrock@...

      http://hikinghq.net

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
        Message
        Sarge:

        Didn't mean to get you side-tracked on the reflective heat issue (though I am glad to have someone more credible than me weigh in on it). You didn't answer my other question... How do you pack your super-wide closed-cell foam pad?

        Bear

      • Ernest Engman <ebengman@hikinghq.net>
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 3, 2003
          Doh,

          Sorry. I use a Moonbow Gearskin, so I don't roll up my pad. Instead I
          put the two layer part against my back and pack it like a Taco,
          compression straps on the side close the wings like side panels. You
          can see the pics of my gearskin and get the idea at:
          http://hikinghq.net/gear/moonbow_gearskin.html

          SGT Rock

          <dchinell@m...> wrote:
          > MessageSarge:
          >
          > Didn't mean to get you side-tracked on the reflective heat issue
          (though I
          > am glad to have someone more credible than me weigh in on it). You
          didn't
          > answer my other question... How do you pack your super-wide closed-
          cell foam
          > pad?
          >
          > Bear
        • David Chinell