Hammock stands

  • Chet Clocksin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2003
      Anyone have experience using a walmart hammock stand with a Speer or HH ?
      I'm wondering if it is high enough to work with these type of hammocks.

      Chet
    • Robert Moore
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2003
        Chet-
        I bought and use a Walmart hammock stand..metal with a green coating, very solid, paid around 50$ via walmart.com for it...have used it to 'model' my underquilts and the Ponderosa/CrazyCreekCrib with it....so def. have used it with an HH, in fact kept the stand in my bedroom for the last year and slept in a hammock there as well. The green metal looks good to but hardly designer :)
        Medicine Man

        Chet Clocksin <cclocksin@...> wrote:
        Anyone have experience using a walmart hammock stand with a Speer or HH ?
        I'm wondering if it is high enough to work with these type of hammocks.

        Chet

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Chet Clocksin
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2003
          Medicine Man,
          Thanks for the info. If it works with the HH, it should work for my Speer as well (also my HH expedition). Kept it in your bedroom last year? You are dedicated! To tell you the truth, I would love to be able to hang my hammock in the house, especially for prototyping new hammocks and accessories.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
            Why do some stands say they're for hammocks with spreader bars only?
            It doesn't seem like they'd be too unstable for one without
            spreaders...are they too shallow to accept the amount of sag? Anyone
            tried using a Speer on a stand like that?

            Jeff
          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
              > Why do some stands say they're for hammocks with spreader bars
              only?
              > It doesn't seem like they'd be too unstable for one without
              > spreaders...are they too shallow to accept the amount of sag?
              Anyone
              > tried using a Speer on a stand like that?

              Found part of the answer (below). But with a ridgeline you don't
              have to hang it so low to get the same sag. Hrm...

              ===============
              http://www.hammocks.com/information/hammock-stands.cfm

              Hammock Stands for Hammocks with and without Spreader bars
              (Spreader bars are the wood bars on each end of the hammock bed)
              There are two main type of hammocks - those with spreader bars and
              those without. Most of the time, you cannot interchange hammock
              stands with these two types of hammocks. The main reason for this is
              because hammock without spreader bars must be set up higher either
              on trees or a stand. Hammocks with spreader bars don't need to be
              hung so high and if you did, you'd have a tough time getting
              in . . . unless of course you were 7ft tall.
              ===============
            • Randy & Cheyanne
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
                Jeff,

                I use a Hammock Bliss Double and a Single as my "yard" hammocks with a
                cheapy stand that is supposed to be for use with "spreader bar" hammock
                (should be called "EASY-OVER" Hammocks ;-). The Bliss is similar
                enough to the Speer to get an idea of how it would work from my ravings
                below.

                When I use the HB double on the stand, I just tie the hammock to the
                chain hooks using something like the hennesy knot/lashing (writing this
                I suddenly thought it might be better to just tie the ropes to a chain
                link without a hook, which would "capture" the ropes better). With the
                Hammock Bliss there was an initial big stretching of the ropes the
                first time it was hung and I piled in that led to a low, low hammock.
                After that I have just tied off the hammock so it is almost
                horizontally straight across from the upper most holes in the
                "uprights" of the stand. Imagine the stand as a sort of squashed "V"
                and the hammock is a line across the top of the "V" creating something
                like the Roman numeral 5. Was that clear as mud? Tie the hammock
                tight and straight and the "give" of the stand, and open design of the
                "V" will get you very close to the proper sag (proper "sag" is what is
                comfortable for you). BTW, I have never gotten my Hennessy Safari
                Deluxe Asym hammock to work with my "cheapy" stand, the uprights aren't
                tall enough or far enough apart or both.

                If you have your choice and don't already have that other stand, make
                a pipe stand like here:

                http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm

                or:

                http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm

                These kits would be a little less work, too:

                http://www.hammocks.com/cart/iso.cfm/detail=product_listing/sku=AC003
                http://www.seasidehammocks.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=118

                Or if you don't want to deal with creating your own, order a stand for
                a mayan hammock, which should have longer and stronger uprights like
                this one:

                http://www.hammocks.com/cart/shopper.cfm/action=view/key=BM011
                http://www.seasidehammocks.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=135

                Or just go wild:

                http://www.seasidehammocks.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=35
                http://www.hammacher.com/publish/
                10629.asp?source=FROOGLE&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_ite=10629#

                enjoy,

                Randy

                On Friday, Aug 5, 2005, at 18:44 US/Central, jwj32542 wrote:

                > Why do some stands say they're for hammocks with spreader bars only?
                > It doesn't seem like they'd be too unstable for one without
                > spreaders...are they too shallow to accept the amount of sag? Anyone
                > tried using a Speer on a stand like that? Jeff

                arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to
                skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other,
                body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what
                a ride!"
              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 6, 2005
                  That makes sense...thanks for the info.

                  I've looked at Ed's and Risk's, but this is going in our sunroom most
                  of the time and I'm thinking the wife's already gonna be irritated
                  that I'm spending so MUCH time in the hammock, so I might as well buy
                  a finished one...at least she'll like the way it looks!

                  I'll either get the Vario or the 4x4 version of it, I think. The one
                  I really want is the wrought iron New Orleans one here:
                  http://www.floridaplants.com/Store/hammocks.htm

                  Eh...don't think I can justify $1100, though. Well...I could, just
                  not to her!

                  Jeff

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Randy & Cheyanne <cheyran@s...>