down quilts

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2003
      I would love to use down in anything, however I am
      allergic to it. NOt badly but puffy eyes and annoying
      nose watering. Has anyone experimented with some kind
      of barrier or sil possibly that might block the down
      stuff that causes allergic reactions? The new I think
      Mountainsmith bags are supposed to be down proof but
      arenot...I slept in one...

      vera

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2003
        Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:

        >I would love to use down in anything, however I am
        >allergic to it. NOt badly but puffy eyes and annoying
        >nose watering. Has anyone experimented with some kind
        >of barrier or sil possibly that might block the down
        >stuff that causes allergic reactions? The new I think
        >Mountainsmith bags are supposed to be down proof but
        >arenot...I slept in one...
        >
        >Hi vera,

        I did some allergy practice years ago. If you are allergic to the down
        or duck dandruff, the molecules that drift around and cause your problem
        are small enough that the ripstop is no barrier to them. It does not
        matter that the cloth is down proof. Since it would be intolerable to
        have a vapor barrier between you and the bag, I believe you are stuck
        using the best synthetic you can find.

        Risk
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2003
          Hi Vera

          To bad about the down alergies. I hear primaloft is about the
          closest synthetic insulation to down but I have no idea how true
          that really is. Rick is probably right about the downproof fabric.
          I have a Wisp and have notice a few feathers sticking out. I see 3
          looking at my bag right now. One looks like a paint speck in the
          middle of a baffle, the other 2 are where the seams are. I think
          all down bags leak a little down but of course some worse than
          others. I understant it is best to pull them back from the opposite
          side and then massage the fabric. I'm wondering if just leaving
          them alone might be as good. They may ride around a long time half
          in half out. I'm going to try and keep track of these plumes.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2003
            Message
            Hi Vera, sorry to hear you're allergic to down.  In my web searching for a source of down for my upcoming PeaPods, I learned a lot about down--seems most down is poorly washed/treated and it can cause reactions in some folks.  However, some of the better-quality down producers go to great lengths to assure customers that their down is non-allogenic because it has been washied and/or treated properly--this is also the more expensive down, of course.  Have you found that all down causes you problems, or just some of it?  ...Ed

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 16, 2003
              You might consider Primaloft insulation instead. It's not as
              compressible or as long lasting as down, but it is better than
              Polargard IMHO. There are bedding manufuacturers that make Primaloft
              quilts for those with down allergies. My underquilt uses Primaloft
              since my winter camping is wet wet wet and I would anticipate that
              down would absorb too much moisture from the humidity.

              anyway, a consideration.
              ciyd