mini trip report from the DAM guy

  • biker135803
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 12, 2003
      I had the fortunate experience of making the trip last night
      with the famous "Coy Boy". As usual, his barnyard of animals went
      down in the "holler" with us, however the beagle that barks at the
      moon all night was fortunately not present-only his trusty old dog
      and a black and white cat. This hollow is about 3-400 ft below the
      top of the mountain and has a babbling creek at the bottom where we
      pitched camp in the dark.
      I received my DAM last week after one month + of waiting and
      was seriously excited to try it out in some hard core cold. On
      first examination, the DAM looks like a cheap Wal Mart pool
      mattress. On closer inspection, it has what can be best described
      as an anemic amount of down between the 5 longitudinal tubes. My
      DAM was the small size the shape of a coffin measuring 64" long, 23"
      at the widest point, 19" at the bottom and about 4" thick blown
      completely up. With the large stuff sack (which is used to inflate
      this contraption), it tipped the scales at 19 oz.
      You have no idea how intrepid I (and my wife)was in investing
      $140 in an air mattress, but our good friend Ed Speer swore that it
      was the ultimate solution to the HH cold bottom problem. So on his
      good word I gave the on-line nudist colony my life's savings.
      Now for the results: After inflating it with 14 sacks of air
      (a slight overfill) I plunked it into my HH adventure racer and it
      practically filled the interior. Next I inserted my WM ultralight
      bag and hopped in with nothing other than my socks and a thin
      Terramar top and bottom fully expecting a failure. To my amazment,
      no matter how I slept on it (back, side, belly) everything remained
      warm throughout the night in the low 20's!! THERE WAS NO HINT OF
      ANY COLD COMING THROUGH THE MATTRESS. Ed, your stellar reputation
      remains untarnished! However, there is a bit of bad news: the
      first time I turned on my side, out springs the air mattress from
      under me and I ended up beside it looking through the no-see-um at
      the ground! The nylon taffeta surface of the DAM and the slick,
      thin fabric of the WM makes for an exciting adventure when turning
      over. After gingerly climbing out of the HH and starting over
      again, I turned much more carefully and this scenario was not
      repeated. I believe that I could have minimized this debacle had I
      not inflated the mattress as much. When I lay on my side, my bottom
      and knees were against the HH material and got cold, so I cancelled
      the semi fetal position in favor of a straighter one. I will try
      the DAM in my HH backpacker ultralite next time thinking that the
      much larger compartment will not cause me to touch the hammock sides
      as frequently. Like Coy, my toes were mildly cold all night. I
      think this problem can be solved by either Seal Skinz or some
      polyuruthane booties I have.
      In summary, IMHO, all it takes is money to solve the HH cold
      problem. I am estatic over the performance of the DAM. I am
      probably unable to tax the bottom end of the temperature curve of
      the DAM here in Northern Alabama-and that's good because my blood is
      too thin for colder temperatures.
      Later, Paul Bucca
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 12, 2003
        Great report! I had hoped it would turn out this good!

        Rick

        biker135803 wrote:

        > I received my DAM last week after one month + of waiting and
        >was seriously excited to try it out in some hard core cold.

      • amy
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 12, 2003
          On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 05:40 PM, biker135803 wrote:

          > When I lay on my side, my bottom
          > and knees were against the HH material and got cold, so I cancelled
          > the semi fetal position in favor of a straighter one. I will try
          > the DAM in my HH backpacker ultralite next time thinking that the
          > much larger compartment will not cause me to touch the hammock sides
          > as frequently. Like Coy, my toes were mildly cold all night. I
          > think this problem can be solved by either Seal Skinz or some
          > polyuruthane booties I have.

          I've tried several things to keep my butt and knees from touching
          the sides. The widest pad I can find works, but it's a pain in the
          butt to carry. Other than that, stuffing something fleece between
          the chilly part and the hammock works great. Which is important,
          because that fetal position is some good sleepin'.

          I also find that chilly feets like some extra insulation - warm
          socks *and* extra padding. I stuff a Z-Rest sitpad in the footbox
          of my quilt. Then my calves complain about favoritism. :)

          -amy
        • Robert Moore
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 14, 2003
            Excellet report on the DAM.
            I think I would be interested (well I am interested in anything that pushes the hammock envelope) in a DAM that acts as underquilt but in the end I think for the really cold temps it is the Speer pod concept that will rule supreme...no matter how you turn you are still surrounded by insulation...and if my experiments with the Pon/Crib are any indication, Speer will achieve a greater level of stardom when he introduces his down version...while he's at it I would suggest a Primaloft or Polarguard version for those who are always in or near a wet environ, nevertheless I am pleased the DAM worked so well, and I look forward to the report using the Backpacker HH.
            Medicine Man

            Do you Yahoo!?

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
              Paul,

              When I started reading this I figured you took the cat with you to
              help keep your feet warm, but I was wrong! Guess you were worried
              about claws on an inflatable mattress? If you had taken the beagle
              you would not have had that worry and you could have kept your feet
              warm.

              How do you feel about the size, considering that you are taller than
              its 64" length and your feet got a little cold? What parts of your
              body are not on the pad? How difficult is it to inflate/deflate in
              the hammock, or do you have to do this outside of the hammock?

              I am trying to visualize you moving/bouncing around with your tiny HH
              racer on a fully inflated mattress, too bad Coy didn't have a video
              camera... and its a good thing it has a 'safey net'. Guess you will
              be a little more careful about how much you inflate it from now on.
              I get a little amused with that because with my Speer hammock there
              is a similar issue with setting it up too tight-- it just ain't the
              same animal if it is too tight.

              Anything that keeps you warm and weighs that little is good. I like
              it. I hope I am not having too much DAM envy later this month when
              I am on the Benton MacKay Trail with a cold backside. <very big grin>

              Dave

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "biker135803" <pjbucca@c...>
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
                Message
                Thanks for an excellent cold-weather trip report Paul.  I think you're right about inflating the DAM slightly less than maximun for a better fit and less slip.  Now for those cold toes--you're on your on!  ....Ed

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
                  Amy:

                  You put your finger on the problem as I see it. If the pad's
                  wide enough to be comfy, it's too wide to manage. My best
                  solution is to use short lengths of standard width pad in a
                  T configuration. I sometimes carry a small, square piece of
                  thick foam as a sit pad, that I also sleep with and position
                  on knees or butt as required.

                  Bear

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
                    Dave,
                    The fact that the length of the DAM was smaller than my height
                    wasn't the problem because the part of my feet that got cold were my
                    toes. I solved the "feet over the side of the pad" problem in my
                    reflectix days by putting my clothes at the foot of the hammock and
                    my feet over the top of them. My toes probably touched the top of
                    the HH-the adventure racer has a tiny compartment-less than one foot
                    excess length at my foot and my head.
                    Which body parts were not on the pad? When laying on my back,
                    everything was on the pad and I slept like a tired dog. When I lay
                    on my side, my butt hit the hammock on one side and my knees hit on
                    the other. I tried sleeping on my side by straightening out my
                    legs, but I don't think humans were ment to do that.
                    I didn't even try to inflate the DAM in the hammock. Instead I
                    inflated it on the ground. When I came home, I cut a piece of Tyvek
                    the size of he DAM to put on the ground for future inflations to
                    keep briars, etc away. I can also use the Tyvek as a ground cloth
                    for food prep or just resting as you do.
                    Paul
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 15, 2003
                      Paul,

                      I take it you are just going to ignore the cat, beagle and DAM envy
                      comments? Heck, I put a lot of thought into those. <grin>

                      About your toes touching the top of your adventure racer, seems like
                      that could be one or a combination of several factors: (1) You didn't
                      raise the foot end of your hammock enough to position yourself
                      forward enough in your hammock. And/or (2) the DAM raises you up a
                      little too high in your smallish hammock. And/or (again) (3) you are
                      just too big for the adventure racer.