Question fro ED: Down PeaPod?

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2003
      Ed, did you mention possibly making a down PeaPod. If so could the
      bottom be made to handle cold wather, say 20 deg. I could always
      easily augment the top with another bag, more clothes or maybe a
      quilt but would want the bottom side to be good for southeaster
      winter. Any idea what the cost and finished weitght would be. I'm
      thinking a 3 in loft on the bottom and 2 in on the top would be
      pretty vercatil. I was also hoping it would be cheaper than say a
      Ponderosa, maybe a little higher than the Goliath but lighter.

      Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2003
        Message
        Coy, thaks for your interest.  My down Peapods are still in the prototype stage--may be ready in a few weeks/months.  Here are a few specifics:

        I am using your suggestion and keeping the PeaPod lightweight so it can be used in any weather below 70F, not just in winter time.  It will be 1.5" thick on bottom and 1" thick on top; this will function well at summer/spring/fall temps while for colder temps the addition of liners or pads can take it down to any temp!  The PeaPod is simply part of a component system where additional insulation is added only as needed.  The 1.5"/1" version weighs much less than 2 lbs!  With a 1.5" thick Down Top Blanket (~8 ozs), the system has been successfully tested as toasty warm to 35F!  With the addition of a summer-weight sleeping bag on top and the 1.5" down Top Blanket doubled as a liner inside the PeaPod (total 4.5" on bottom!), I've been warm down to 18F!  For colder temps, I'm simply adding another 1.5" thick Top Blanket doubled as liner for a total of 7.5" of bottom insulation!  I really don't like being cold!

        The final weights, thicknesses, and costs are yet to be determined--you'll just have to wait, sorry.  I'll be using the prototypes on my upcoming Christmas hike of the BMT and the New Year's Eve campout on Springer Mtn.  I'm also leaving now for two nights of testing at the campground in Hot Springs, NC--I'm working as fast as I can here!  ....Ed

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2003
          Thanks ED, I really dont have the skills needed to tackle this
          project and I'd rather get a down version as opposed to something
          like a 4 lb winter bag like the Goliath. Of course I'll need to
          start saving my pennies now. In the meantime I'll just make do with
          my 2 target pads. Simple, cheap and BULKY as all get out. LOL

          Coy Boy
          PS wish i could come see the prototype at the New Years Springer
          bash. I might be able to sneak over but plan to ski the that wek
          and will need to catch up on life and spen time with the famaly
          while there out of school. Maybe if I can't make it there will be a
          springtime hammockhangers hangout I can make, or one of your gear
          booth weekends.

          > Coy, thaks for your interest. My down Peapods are still in the
          prototype
          > stage--may be ready in a few weeks/months. Here are a few
          specifics:

          > I am using your suggestion and keeping the PeaPod lightweight so
          it can be
          > used in any weather below 70F, not just in winter time. It will
          be 1.5"
          > thick on bottom and 1" thick on top; this will function well at
          > summer/spring/fall temps while for colder temps the addition of
          liners or
          > pads can take it down to any temp! The PeaPod is simply part of a
          component
          > system where additional insulation is added only as needed. The
          1.5"/1"
          > version weighs much less than 2 lbs! With a 1.5" thick Down Top
          Blanket (~8
          > ozs), the system has been successfully tested as toasty warm to
          35F! With
          > the addition of a summer-weight sleeping bag on top and the 1.5"
          down Top
          > Blanket doubled as a liner inside the PeaPod (total 4.5" on
          bottom!), I've
          > been warm down to 18F! For colder temps, I'm simply adding
          another 1.5"
          > thick Top Blanket doubled as liner for a total of 7.5" of bottom
          insulation!
          > I really don't like being cold!
          >
          > The final weights, thicknesses, and costs are yet to be determined-
          -you'll
          > just have to wait, sorry. I'll be using the prototypes on my
          upcoming
          > Christmas hike of the BMT and the New Year's Eve campout on
          Springer Mtn.
          > I'm also leaving now for two nights of testing at the campground
          in Hot
          > Springs, NC--I'm working as fast as I can here! ....Ed

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cv8ed6s/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D
          =egroup

          web/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1071333901/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix
          com/Def
          > ault?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732> click here
          >
          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
          M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 15, 2003
            Message
            Sorry we'll miss ya at Springer Coy.  But we will have another winter trip in Jan or Feb.  In March, we're giving a Stay Warm Hammock workshop at the Florida Trail Assoc convention near Live Oak, FL--details in the next newsletter...Ed