Re:Re: Tarp/Rain

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 10, 2003
      Hi, All!

      My two cents about Hennessys in the rain.  The only time I had rain dripping from the supportropes into the hammock body was early in the test phase of the Safari prototype.  With Tom Hennessy's permission (modifying gear during testing is not always acceptable), I seam sealed one end and put a very small,  maybe 2-3 inch wick on the other.  That took care of the leaking on either end.  The Safari prototype models had nylon seat belt webbing for suspension and the body was sort of an oxford cloth, like in many of the the non-ultralight models.  Those straps were sewn in with several lines of stitching.

      Using my Ultralight Backpacker and Backbacker Asym, rain entering from the hanging ropes has NEVER been a problem.  The bodies are made of a DWR high thread count nylon, and the hanging ropes are fused into the body ends.  The DWR nylon should be quite hydrophobic, and the fusing should give the user a really tight seal.  I imagine the Prussic knots could be sort of a dam for water running down the hanging ropes.  If I think of it, maybe I will stand and watch for this as I camp in the rain.  MAYBE!

      I wonder if the people experiencing any leaks have the non-Asym models?  If you feel the need to use a drip line, a short piece of wicking material is all you should need.

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen