Coy....a question

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2003
      Did you see my positing the potential use of the Hilleberg BivAnorak
      as a RiskPod? I'm just trying to used stuff laying around and the
      BivAnorak is a constant companion on day hikes...stopped carrying a
      rain jacket in leiu of it since it can also be shelter if needed to
      be. Just wondering if you thought any about it....I will put it over
      the Pon/Crib combo Wed. night.
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2003
        Yep I saw it and looked up the link. It does sound like a more
        flexable system than a dedicated hammock bivy. I would guess it
        over a bag like the ponderosa would trap quite a bit of heat and
        eliminate the need for for a tarp though i wouldnt try it without
        one along for standby. Then you have your poncho for the next days
        hiking if its raining. Something similar is the Paka (I thinks
        that's right). If it is big and long enough. I may do some
        experimenting with just some plain old Tyvec and some clothes or
        safty pins. I might have to get one of my kids to seal me up.
        then I might get like Rick and need a knife.

        Coy Boy
        PS if your still stuck at the hospitle good nite. I'm off to bed.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "simva4040" <simva4040@y...>
        wrote:
        > Did you see my positing the potential use of the Hilleberg
        BivAnorak
        > as a RiskPod? I'm just trying to used stuff laying around and the
        > BivAnorak is a constant companion on day hikes...stopped carrying
        > rain jacket in leiu of it since it can also be shelter if needed
        > be. Just wondering if you thought any about it....I will put it
        over
        > the Pon/Crib combo Wed. night.
      • Robert Moore
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2003
          The Packa is cool and I met Cedar Tree (owner/developer) 2 months ago on a section hike from Clingmans to Fontana on the AT....I like the Packa a lot and I did see him model it for all at the shelter but I dont think it is long enough to envelope the system you and I are talking about. It appears to be idea for hiking in the rain-and I mean a hard rain but I hate to carry anything anymore that only has one use. The best thing about the Packa (you probably know this) is that it is a pack cover that becomes a poncho without taking it off, just reach up and pull the rest of the machine out....and there is no way rain can leak down your back or neck with the Packa...so I'm thinking that it will be good when I am using the taco/underquilt, i.e. periods when the temp wont be in the teens, and at those temps I'll be with the other system.....wooooah I'm outta breath from that one.
          And yes you can borrow the Ponderosa, this summer :)

          wrote:
          > Did you see my positing the potential use of the Hilleberg
          BivAnorak
          > as a RiskPod? I'm just trying to used stuff laying around and the
          > BivAnorak is a constant companion on day hikes...stopped carrying
          > rain jacket in leiu of it since it can also be shelter if needed
          > be. Just wondering if you thought any about it....I will put it
          over
          > the Pon/Crib combo Wed. night.

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 2003
            Robert

            Oh well. The Hilleberg BivAnorac was a little spendy so this might
            be a good project. 1.1 oz sil-nylon aught to do the trick. A
            poncho/pack cover long enough to surround the hammock but with a
            way to fasten the long tail up so as not to inpede walking. A way
            to fasten the bottom end to keep out wind also. how does the
            hilleberg fasten out of the way for walking? Once made it will need
            a name. How about HammockHoncho?

            Coy Boy
            PS summer will be to late LOL

            -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <simva4040@y...>