Re: [Hammock Camping] 4 Risk: Woodgas stove starting (off topic)

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6 9:44 AM
      jjoven_49 wrote:

      >I have been looking at that woodgas stove and am going to make one.
      >There seems to be some concern with starting the fire. Alcohol,
      >starter fluid, tinder. Has anyone suggested cotton balls coated with
      >vaseline? I usually carry a small ziploc bag of these on my canoe
      >trips as they make excellent fire starters. I suspect a small piece
      >would be all it takes to get that stove going.

      I have used:
      2 cc of kerosene - works well
      2cc of alcohol - works well
      2cc of coleman fuel - works well
      a paraffin coated piece of cardboard... not so great, even though it
      works great for starting a fire normally

      I have used cotton balls and vasiline a couple times as fire starters.
      I am ambivilant about them. But it probably would work.