Re: [Hammock Camping] Risk....a question on insulation values....

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
      Ooooooosh Medicin Man!!! I wondered what the coldest Al temp was so
      I looked it up. -27. and sure nuff Tenn shows -32 I dont plan on
      experimenting in those temps without some major gear upgrades.

      see

      http://www.geobop.com/world/NA/Topics/Weather/Temp/

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <simva4040@y...>
      wrote:
      > Marsanne,
      > I am laughing! No to buying many pads at Target! I was driving by
      a building (commercial) and saw a small mountain of expanded
      polystyrene (rigid white foam produced by Perma-R of Jonesborough,
      TN) piled up against a wall, went over and climbed up the ladder and
      asked the roofers what was going to be the fate of the 'foam', they
      said wait for the owner who showed up 10 mins. later. I told him I
      need some foam to insulate a cabin I had bought (the former owners
      only used it in the spring/summer), then I asked if I could buy
      some.....He told me I could have it all for 50$ !!! but I had to
      have it off sight by Monday-that gave me 2 days. I didnt know the
      price for new foam but I new that I had found a bargain. It turns
      out I bought 3000 square feet of expanded polystyrene for 50
      dollars, rented a Ryder truck to haul it for another 50$....then
      what to do with it. I had seen new motels constructed, they started
      out white, then green then a final tan color. I stopped and
      watched/asked the
      > stucco guys what was going on,,,,they explained Dryvit to
      me....so that it how I got started insulating my cabin...it is on
      Ripshin Lake, 2.5 miles from Roan High Knob. Coldest temp on record
      there was in 1982, 32 below zero so it is hard to have too much
      insulation. And when studying insulation, be it fiberglass or rigid
      roam panels that is when I discovered r and k values, condensation
      points, heat transfer rates etc. When you think of insulation a
      house with foam think of the coffee cup ad McDonalds and how you can
      hold coffee that is almost boiling only a few millimeters from your
      hand.
      > Back to Dryvit, did find out that a lot of modern homes had
      trouble with synthetic stucco, seems like water would get behind the
      walls and couldnt get out...my home is a modified a-fram with
      extreme roof overhangs that protect the window and door seals from
      rain so no problems yet....
      > I am not an engineer either but found that studying insulation was
      very interesting especially since it is so important for winter
      hiking!

      > firefly <firefly@e...> wrote:
      >

      > v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url
      (#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape
      {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
      > I don't want to sound like I am being critical or being a smart
      aleck, but I had a little wine last nightÂ…for those of us who are
      not engineers, or don't have the patience to try to interpret it,
      would you mind putting this post into, uh, English? Because it looks
      really interesting and I would like to know what it means. Again,
      seriously, not trying to be rude. I am glad we have so many smart
      people in the group. I like solid foam pads, too. What did you do?
      Go to Target and get a hundred blue pads and stick them inside the
      walls when you were building your house? Thanks! Marsanne

      > I am a big fan of rigid foam insulation- in fact I wrapped my
      house
      > in it after putting it in the ceiling, then did my version of the
      > dryvit system....I dont think the traditional 'r' value truly
      applies
      > to foam, whether rigid or not and in studies I discovered the 'k'
      > value....it seems that fiberglass insulation and therefore down-
      > insulation that allows a point where moisture can condense
      somewhere
      > within the mass of insulation dependent on temp/humidity contrasts
      > with insulation that will not allow this,i.e. foam, whether rigid
      > panels like I used in my home, or closed cell pads....just curious
      if
      > you had encountered the 'k' value in your studies??
      > Also have you encountered the ceramic panels used for insulation
      and
      > also the insulative paints being applied to houses these days that
      > incorporate micro ceramic particles within the paint matrix, and
      then
      > there are the wire grids and the small battery packs that hunters
      use
      > in their socks and in some realy sweet suits...... just thinking
      out
      > loud.
      > MM

      Service.