RE: [Hammock Camping] TravelPod weight:

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 3, 2003
      Risk:

      Where are you getting the zipper? And what kind is it?

      Bear
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 3, 2003
        David Chinell wrote:

        >Risk:
        >
        >Where are you getting the zipper? And what kind is it?
        >
        >Bear
        >

        >Quest Outfitters
        >
        >#5153 #5 coil 96"L blk-rev tabs $5.85 ea
        >
        >http://tinyurl.com/xmd4

        Got any better ideas for my next one?

        Risk
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2003
          Thanks Rick. Talk about waiting for an answer...:') And good luck
          with the 1.1 oz model. we will wait patiently for pics, performance
          and weight

          Coy Boy

          -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <ra1@i...> wrote:
          > For Coy and anyone else who just had to know...
          >
          > I brought the TravelPod prototype to a good scale today. Its
          weight is:

          > 7.8 oz (222 gm)
          >
          > I have ordered no kidding 1.1 oz material and a lighweight zipper
          > make a second prototype. I'll let y'all know when that gets done
          and
          > weighed.
          >
          > Rick
        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003
            Risk:

            I must admit to having glossed over the details of your
            TravelPod. But here are the ideas I'd like to incorporate
            into a pod of my own some day.

            Drawstrings: A drawstring at either end, secured in the
            middle of the casing, but otherwise just a cord running
            through the casing. This lets you gather the material around
            the outside of the hammock, and secure the pod to the
            hammock even when the zippers are opened and detached.

            Zippers: A short, one-way, separating zipper running from
            the pod end to my nose on either end, met by a long,
            two-way, separating zipper in the middle. I'd rather have a
            two-way separating zipper with the runners facing each
            other. The idea would be that you could make the runners
            meet wherever you wanted, and leave a breathing hole of
            whatever size over your face. But Ed and others say it's not
            possible. So using two zippers is a compromise. Using three
            makes the pod bidirectional. (I.E. it doesn't have a head
            end and foot end.)

            I blather while others sew. Meanwhile I use one of Ed's
            PeaPods, and it's a nice piece of gear.

            Bear
          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003
              David,

              A few comments in line:

              Quoting David Chinell

              But here are the ideas I'd like to incorporate
              > into a pod of my own some day.
              >
              > Drawstrings: A drawstring at either end, secured in the
              > middle of the casing, but otherwise just a cord running
              > through the casing. This lets you gather the material around
              > the outside of the hammock, and secure the pod to the
              > hammock even when the zippers are opened and detached.

              One modification I want to test is a GI like cord on each side at the junction
              between top and side. This will allow the insulation to stay in contact with
              the bottom of the hammock even if the zipper is opened. This may be what you
              are saying.

              > Zippers: A short, one-way, separating zipper running from
              > the pod end to my nose on either end, met by a long,
              > two-way, separating zipper in the middle. I'd rather have a
              > two-way separating zipper with the runners facing each
              > other. The idea would be that you could make the runners
              > meet wherever you wanted, and leave a breathing hole of
              > whatever size over your face. But Ed and others say it's not
              > possible. So using two zippers is a compromise. Using three
              > makes the pod bidirectional. (I.E. it doesn't have a head
              > end and foot end.)

              I have not found a way to build a zipper like you suggest. They are not on the
              market as a pre-built. It's easy enough to have an opening zipper, like a
              suitcase, but then the ends don't open. One goal is to be able to slip this
              device on a hammock without taking down either end. That requires a separating
              zipper. Such a beast should be possible, just not available right now.

              I also dreamed of a symetric, bidirectional TravelPod. However I discovered
              that my shoulders need a lot more room than my knees. If I keep that much room
              down by my knees, then the bag is too big. The only solution I am happy with is
              a non-symetric pattern.

              I could use two zippers, but having all that hardware hanging around my face is
              not a perfect solution. Using buttons between my face, where the zipper stops,
              and the head end is a simple and elegant solution that works. All but one of
              the buttons is fastened before getting in the hammock. And that one is seldom
              shut.

              A couple other improvements are on the drawing board as well.

              Rick
            • Per-Arne Asp
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003
                Hi all!

                I'm making my own TravelPod just now. It will have rather heavy
                waterproof fabric in the bottom (80 g/m2 ~ 3 oz/y2) and a light
                Pertex DWR on top (50 g/m2 ~ 1.9 oz/y2). It will have a full Velcro
                opening and drawstrings at the ends.

                With a waterproof bottom the pod can double as a ground sheet/ bivvy
                bag for those occations when there are no trees. At least thats my
                intention. New name: BivvyPod? I hope it will work. What do you think?

                //p-a
              • Risk
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003

                  > I'm making my own TravelPod just now. It will have rather heavy
                  > waterproof fabric in the bottom (80 g/m2 ~ 3 oz/y2) and a light
                  > Pertex DWR on top (50 g/m2 ~ 1.9 oz/y2). It will have a full Velcro
                  > opening and drawstrings at the ends.
                  >
                  > With a waterproof bottom the pod can double as a ground sheet/ bivvy
                  > bag for those occations when there are no trees. At least thats my
                  > intention. New name: BivvyPod? I hope it will work. What do you think?

                  With the waterproof on bottom design, you may be able to twirl the
                  waterproof over your head for rain protection from infrequent showers.
                  (Just grab one side and start moving the velcro to under you.)
                  However, you will need to be resistant to claustrophobia to stay that
                  way for long. Call it the RotaBivy. :)

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003
                    I think it sounds a lot like the Hammock Bivy DebW put together last
                    winter. Take a look:

                    http://tinyurl.com/xqgi

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Per-Arne Asp" <per-
                    arne.asp@t...> wrote:
                    > Hi all!
                    >
                    > I'm making my own TravelPod just now. It will have rather heavy
                    > waterproof fabric in the bottom (80 g/m2 ~ 3 oz/y2) and a light
                    > Pertex DWR on top (50 g/m2 ~ 1.9 oz/y2). It will have a full Velcro
                    > opening and drawstrings at the ends.
                    >
                    > With a waterproof bottom the pod can double as a ground sheet/
                    bivvy
                    > bag for those occations when there are no trees. At least thats my
                    > intention. New name: BivvyPod? I hope it will work. What do you
                    think?

                    > //p-a
                  • Debra Weisenstein
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003
                      Sounds similar to my hammock bivy, which is displayed in the photo
                      section of this group. Mine had waterproof bottom and Goretex top.
                      Looks much like a standard bivy, but extended ends and strips of
                      velcro to pass the hammock straps through.

                      <per-arne.asp@t...> wrote:
                      > Hi all!
                      >
                      > I'm making my own TravelPod just now. It will have rather heavy
                      > waterproof fabric in the bottom (80 g/m2 ~ 3 oz/y2) and a light
                      > Pertex DWR on top (50 g/m2 ~ 1.9 oz/y2). It will have a full Velcro
                      > opening and drawstrings at the ends.
                      >
                      > With a waterproof bottom the pod can double as a ground sheet/ bivvy
                      > bag for those occations when there are no trees. At least thats my
                      > intention. New name: BivvyPod? I hope it will work. What do you think?
                      >
                      > //p-a
                    • ciyd01
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003
                        > > Zippers: A short, one-way, separating zipper running from
                        > > the pod end to my nose on either end, met by a long,
                        > > two-way, separating zipper in the middle.
                        <snip>

                        > I have not found a way to build a zipper like you suggest. They
                        are not on the
                        > market as a pre-built. It's easy enough to have an opening zipper,
                        like a
                        > suitcase, but then the ends don't open. One goal is to be able to
                        slip this
                        > device on a hammock without taking down either end. That requires
                        a separating
                        > zipper. Such a beast should be possible, just not available right
                        now.

                        As a compromise, you could use 2 separating zippers that 'meet in the
                        middle' and make some sort of draft tube to cover up the gap where
                        they meet.

                        > I also dreamed of a symetric, bidirectional TravelPod. However I
                        discovered
                        > that my shoulders need a lot more room than my knees. If I keep
                        that much room
                        > down by my knees, then the bag is too big. The only solution I am
                        happy with is
                        > a non-symetric pattern.

                        You might think of adding some elastic to the leg section similart to
                        Sierra Designs flex series of bags. The amounts to buying an elastic
                        thread and sewing a couple lines in the bag using that. I would try
                        regular Ply thread in the bobbin. this would take up the slack
                        around your knees but still allow it to expand if you want to use it
                        in camp as a robe.

                        Some amazing design ideas floating around here. Too bad we dont' all
                        work for a hammock design company with lots of capital, seamstresses,
                        and time!

                        ciyd
                      • Risk
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003
                          Ciyd commented:

                          RIck wrote:

                          > > I also dreamed of a symetric, bidirectional TravelPod. However I
                          > discovered
                          > > that my shoulders need a lot more room than my knees. If I keep
                          > that much room
                          > > down by my knees, then the bag is too big. The only solution I am
                          > happy with is
                          > > a non-symetric pattern.
                          >
                          > You might think of adding some elastic to the leg section similart to
                          > Sierra Designs flex series of bags. The amounts to buying an elastic
                          > thread and sewing a couple lines in the bag using that. I would try
                          > regular Ply thread in the bobbin. this would take up the slack
                          > around your knees but still allow it to expand if you want to use it
                          > in camp as a robe.

                          Yes, however...

                          One of my goals is lightweight. It is lighter to cut the cover so it
                          does not need to be gathered up. And, I don't think the draft tube is
                          necessary. I like a little air to be moving. That is one good thing
                          about the small line of buttons. I originally tried to make it with
                          just buttons, but it took too long to button up/unbutton the central
                          buttons from inside in the dark right when I needed to pee pretty bad.
                          The zipper is just because I am a little lazy. It probably adds an
                          ounce to the weight.

                          I have received my material for prototype two. The uncut cloth and
                          zipper weigh about 50 more grams than the first version. So maybe the
                          first one is 1.1 oz ripstop.

                          I am going to try to be a bit clever about the pattern for this one.
                          I want it to be easy for y'all to copy.

                          Rick.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003
                              Ed Speer wrote:

                              > Amen! I'll second that...Ed
                              >
                              > Some amazing design ideas floating around here. Too bad we dont' all
                              > work for a hammock design company with lots of capital, seamstresses,
                              > and time!
                              >
                              > ciyd

                              OH what fun we would have!!
                            • Risk
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003

                                > Some amazing design ideas floating around here. Too bad we dont' all
                                > work for a hammock design company with lots of capital, seamstresses,
                                > and time!
                                >
                                > ciyd

                                Ahh.. we are just a little co-op working out some designs of some
                                things we find it hard to buy. We build them ourselves. Maybe we
                                will start selling them. Ed already has.

                                There was a little co-op of amateur radio operators who could not get
                                the radios they wanted back in the 50s. They started doing some
                                inventing and some outsourced manufacturing. Now they are famous for
                                batteries. You have been in their store: Radio Shack.

                                There was a little co-op of climbers who could not get quality
                                climbing equipment in the US. They went together to buy some of the
                                good european stuff. Then they sold it here to each other. You have
                                been in their store: REI.

                                We don't need lots of capital or seamstresses. We do need ideas and
                                time.

                                Let's keep pushing the envelope.

                                Risk
                              • subypower
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003
                                  here is an idea...

                                  take Eds pea pod but shorten it to just go to the upper edges of the
                                  hammock. then take some dwr ripstop and make a top section similar to
                                  the bug netting on a HH . now you have an insulated bottom with a
                                  large top area to move around in with plenty of head room, you have
                                  something which weighs less than Eds peapod.

                                  draw back is a larger air volumn to heat up but a lot less
                                  constraining then the typical peapod or travel pod. also it does give
                                  you a large contained air mass as insulation and a larger surface
                                  area for mosture to escape.

                                  basicly it is an inclosed HH ( with rip stop not netting )with built
                                  in underquilt. i know some body built the insulated hammock all he
                                  needs to do is tent it.

                                  white knight
                                • Thomas
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003

                                    > We don't need lots of capital or seamstresses. We do need ideas and
                                    > time.
                                    >
                                    > Let's keep pushing the envelope.
                                    >
                                    > Risk

                                    I like the way you think Rick.
                                    You are quite insightfull and an inspiration.

                                    Tom
                                    Pura Vida
                                  • Robert Moore
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 4, 2003
                                      Your're right, DebW should get credit for the first pod other than the peapod so she may get an invitation to the hammocking hall of fame too. I think she was also one of the first to wrap a hammock with a sleeping bag, this via whiteblaze.net
                                      Of course in her environs a warm hammock is def. a challenge.

                                      arne.asp@t...> wrote:
                                      > Hi all!
                                      >
                                      > I'm making my own TravelPod just now. It will have rather heavy
                                      > waterproof fabric in the bottom (80 g/m2 ~ 3 oz/y2) and a light
                                      > Pertex DWR on top (50 g/m2 ~ 1.9 oz/y2). It will have a full Velcro
                                      > opening and drawstrings at the ends.
                                      >
                                      > With a waterproof bottom the pod can double as a ground sheet/
                                      bivvy
                                      > bag for those occations when there are no trees. At least thats my
                                      > intention. New name: BivvyPod? I hope it will work. What do you
                                      think?

                                      > //p-a

                                      Do you Yahoo!?
                                      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

                                    • robi dawson
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 5, 2003

                                        Let's keep pushing the envelope.

                                        Risk

                                        right on Risk! that's the way i look at things too!!!

                                        robi

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                        134f09.jpg
                                        13501a.jpg

                                      • Scott..
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 15, 2003
                                          > But here are the ideas I'd like to incorporate
                                          > > into a pod of my own some day.
                                          > >
                                          > > Drawstrings: A drawstring at either end, secured in the
                                          > > middle of the casing, but otherwise just a cord running
                                          > > through the casing. This lets you gather the material around
                                          > > the outside of the hammock, and secure the pod to the
                                          > > hammock even when the zippers are opened and detached.
                                          >
                                          > One modification I want to test is a GI like cord on each side at the
                                          junction
                                          > between top and side. This will allow the insulation to stay in contact
                                          with
                                          > the bottom of the hammock even if the zipper is opened. This may be what
                                          you
                                          > are saying.
                                          > >
                                          > > Zippers: A short, one-way, separating zipper running from
                                          > > the pod end to my nose on either end, met by a long,
                                          > > two-way, separating zipper in the middle. I'd rather have a
                                          > > two-way separating zipper with the runners facing each
                                          > > other. The idea would be that you could make the runners
                                          > > meet wherever you wanted, and leave a breathing hole of
                                          > > whatever size over your face. But Ed and others say it's not
                                          > > possible. So using two zippers is a compromise. Using three
                                          > > makes the pod bidirectional. (I.E. it doesn't have a head
                                          > > end and foot end.)
                                          >
                                          > I have not found a way to build a zipper like you suggest. They are not
                                          on the
                                          > market as a pre-built. It's easy enough to have an opening zipper, like a
                                          > suitcase, but then the ends don't open. One goal is to be able to slip
                                          this
                                          > device on a hammock without taking down either end. That requires a
                                          separating
                                          > zipper. Such a beast should be possible, just not available right now.

                                          How about having a piece of fabric about one or two inches wide running the
                                          length of the pod. You could have velcro, or a separating zipper, on one
                                          side and the other type of zipper on the other. This way a non-separating
                                          zipper can be used and the pod could still be attached when the hammock is
                                          up.