Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: "Staying Warm" in Hammock Weekie

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
      Hi Bill,

      Replies in line...

      Quoting Bill Fornshell:

      > Hi Risk, A lot of people talk about using the Target
      > "Blue Closed Cell Pad." Do you have any idea what the
      > "R" value of this pad is?

      About the same as the RidgeRest, or a bit less... Ridge Rest is 2.6. I
      calculated the Target pad at something like 2.5. I will see if the package
      says, though I doubt it.

      > I have had great success staying warm in my hammock
      > (down to 30 degrees)(this is south Texas) by just
      > using a Therm-A-Rest "Standard" full size pad and a
      > decent sleeping bag. I expect this combination and my
      > long underwear will keep me much warmer without all
      > the other extra stuff you are playing with. I believe
      > in the KISS theory and hope to test this during Ed's
      > Christmas Hike. Bill

      I think you can stay reasonable warm with that set up as long as you can stay on
      top of the thermarest. My shoulders would get pretty cold in a Speer type
      hammock without a pad that rolled up around my shoulders, but using a flatter
      hammock like the HH you one probably do OK with that. I've used the standard
      Thermorest 72 incher in a HH.

      And if you get cold, you can always bail to the ground with that set-up. I can
      too, but it seems like a nice challenge to see how low a temperature I can stay
      comfortable in and still stay in the hammock.

      Here's why I consider other alternatives: That bugger of yours (I have one too)
      weighs 2 pounds and 11 ounces. My pad and TravelPod weigh a little under a
      pound and will keep me warm, not just down to 30 but down to at least 25 in the
      wind. How much lower, I don't know yet. I admit to being a gram-weenie. The
      extra pound and 11 is an obvious target.

      What I am describing ("all the extra stuff")is only a bit more complicated. You
      throw a pad in the hammock and then zip a cover over the hammock. Put some of
      my camping stuff in the cover. I believe the system has the potential to give
      R values considerably higher than it is possible to get with a thermarest.

      Have a great Christmas hike in Georgia. Wish I had a few days to come along. I
      get down
      to SA several times a year. Maybe we can meet one of these days.

      Risk
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
        Hi Risk, Thanks for the reply. I should also have
        said that when or if my sewing skills improve I will
        try some other things like you and others are doing.
        At this time I have to be content with trying to make
        do with what I have. I can trade a little extra weight
        for the "Standard" pad and a Down bag as my pack and
        other things are very light. I use a Speer Silk
        Hammock with a Silk Gauze Bug Net (14oz) with a
        "Standard" pad and sleep on my side. I don't move much
        when I sleep. I want to also get a Target pad but the
        store near me doesn't have them this time of the year.
        Therm-A-Rest has a new pad coming out called the
        Pro-Lite 4, one is 25" wide by 77" long, has an "R"
        value of 3.2, is 1-1/2" thick and weights 33oz. I
        want to try one when they go on sale. On the hike in
        Georgia I hope to see some snow and at least one night
        of temperatures near 0 degrees. Then it can go back
        to between 20 to 30 degrees or warmer. I need a base
        line to see what works and what doesn't. I believe 0
        degrees in a Hammock is possible, just have to work
        out the engineering for it.

        I am making an aluminum Pack Frame/Sled for the hike
        that I can wear or if there is enough snow I can pull
        it. I will finish it today and then try and make a
        pack bag for it. Bill

        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
        http://companion.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
          Hey guys,

          I looked at R-values for closed cell foam pads last January. One of
          the few closed cell foam pads with solid surfaces that I could find
          manufactures specifications on was the Link Rest by Cascade Designs
          and I am assuming that other solid surfaced closed cell foam pads
          that have a density between 1.5 and 2.0 pounds per cubic foot have an
          R-value proportional to the R-value of the Link Rest, which is 1.9
          with a thickness of 7/16 inch. That would mean that a quality 3/8
          inch closed cell foam pad would have an R-value of about 1.6.

          I contacted Cascade Designs and asked them about their R-value
          tests. I was told that they use flat plates to equally weight the
          pad under test over its entire surface area. To me, this means that
          the self inflating pads test higher that they perform because we
          don't load them equally-- we collapse the pads significantly in the
          areas of our greatest weight, our butts for instance. It also means
          that we have to be careful how we use the closed cell pads with large
          open surface cells, i.e. the Ridgerest, Z-rest, convoluted pads,
          etc. These pads are intended to be used against air-tight surfaces
          on both sides; if that condition is not meet I think the R-value will
          be determined by something in between the minimun and maximum
          thickness of the pad. This is a concern to me when one side of the
          pad is placed against the breathable material of a hammock.

          Anyway, I thought I would throw that out there since the subject came
          up... it is what I figured out and hopefully some of it is right. I
          didn't get to test this out in cold weather because I was in and out
          of town pretty much all of last winter. Since then I have decided to
          try out multiple 3/8 inch REI blue pads but haven't had them in
          temperatures much below freezing.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
            Dave Womble wrote:

            >Hey guys,
            >
            >I looked at R-values for closed cell foam pads last January. One of
            >the few closed cell foam pads with solid surfaces that I could find
            >manufactures specifications on was the Link Rest by Cascade Designs
            >and I am assuming that other solid surfaced closed cell foam pads
            >that have a density between 1.5 and 2.0 pounds per cubic foot have an
            >R-value proportional to the R-value of the Link Rest, which is 1.9
            >with a thickness of 7/16 inch. That would mean that a quality 3/8
            >inch closed cell foam pad would have an R-value of about 1.6.
            >
            >I contacted Cascade Designs and asked them about their R-value
            >tests. I was told that they use flat plates to equally weight the
            >pad under test over its entire surface area. To me, this means that
            >the self inflating pads test higher that they perform because we
            >don't load them equally-- we collapse the pads significantly in the
            >areas of our greatest weight, our butts for instance. It also means
            >that we have to be careful how we use the closed cell pads with large
            >open surface cells, i.e. the Ridgerest, Z-rest, convoluted pads,
            >etc. These pads are intended to be used against air-tight surfaces
            >on both sides; if that condition is not meet I think the R-value will
            >be determined by something in between the minimun and maximum
            >thickness of the pad. This is a concern to me when one side of the
            >pad is placed against the breathable material of a hammock.
            >
            >Anyway, I thought I would throw that out there since the subject came
            >up... it is what I figured out and hopefully some of it is right. I
            >didn't get to test this out in cold weather because I was in and out
            >of town pretty much all of last winter. Since then I have decided to
            >try out multiple 3/8 inch REI blue pads but haven't had them in
            >temperatures much below freezing.
            >
            >Dave

            Cool! err... Hot!

            One thing I did learn when I was looking up info on what the value might
            be was that 3 1/2 in fiberglass batting has an R value of 11. So to my
            little mind, 4 in of down probably has about the same. Empty vertical
            spaces from 1/2 to 4 inches have only an R value of 1. Part of that may
            be because it is vertical. Horizontal may do better. Nevertheless, it
            is important to fill up those empty spaces with micro convection systems.

            BTW, my calculation came from taking a value here:

            http://coloradoenergy.org/procorner/stuff/r-values.htm

            Specifically the foamed in place polyurethane, and multiplying 6.25 x
            3/8. The actual answer is 2.3. But I did not take into consideration
            weight being applied. If I assume that the 3/8 pad is compressed to 1/4
            inch, then the calculation is 1.56 which is what Bear mentions above.

            All of this helps explain to me why I have the impression, with my
            overlap pad, that it is much warmer than a single pad. In the most
            compressed part of the pad, the central 8 or 9 inches, I have an overlap
            of two pads.

            Thanks Dave!

            Rick
          • firefly
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003

              When you come to a conclusion please let me know. I am curious. Thanks, Marsanne