RE: [Hammock Camping] Waiting with bated breath!

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
      Message
      What are you using for insulation in the TravelPod Rick?  ...Ed
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
        Quoting Ed Speer <info@...>:

        > What are you using for insulation in the TravelPod Rick? ...Ed

        Over: down quilt made from 12 oz of down
        Under: 8 oz pack with heavy duty plastic bag inside

        The night before, I was even warmer when I added my 10x10 foot silnylon tarp.
        It tends to expand a lot when it is outside of a stuff sack and breaks up the
        space into different chambers that each have their own convection cells. That
        is the sort of insulation I will be using for the very cold experiments.

        On Friday, I will see what happens when heavy snow comes down without a tarp.
        The top of the hammock will be sealed by the TravelPod and may allow the snow
        just to fall off. What I don't know is if the surface will get warm enough to
        allow the snow to stick.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
          Message
          Best of luck Steve--let us know how it goes this weekend...Ed