Re: "Staying Warm" in Hammock Wiki

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
      Wow, my first underquilt prototype is now famous! Nice additions
      Rick.

      ciyd

      > I made a few changes and modifications to the
      > Staying WArm page on Hammock Wiki:
      >
      > http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Staying_Warm
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
        You are allowed, encouraged, and asked to make any changes, additions,
        or comments to the page as you see fit. It is *our* project.

        So, if you want to be more famous, just add something.

        (I did take your posted yahoo picture and added it to my server so
        Wiki can get to it. Thanks in advance for not minding my use of it in
        my post.)

        Rick

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
        > Wow, my first underquilt prototype is now famous! Nice additions
        > Rick.
        >
        > ciyd
        >
        > > I made a few changes and modifications to the
        > > Staying WArm page on Hammock Wiki:
        > >
        > > http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Staying_Warm
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
          Hi Risk, A lot of people talk about using the Target
          "Blue Closed Cell Pad." Do you have any idea what the
          "R" value of this pad is?

          I have had great success staying warm in my hammock
          (down to 30 degrees)(this is south Texas) by just
          using a Therm-A-Rest "Standard" full size pad and a
          decent sleeping bag. I expect this combination and my
          long underwear will keep me much warmer without all
          the other extra stuff you are playing with. I believe
          in the KISS theory and hope to test this during Ed's
          Christmas Hike. Bill

          --- Risk <ra1@...> wrote:
          > You are allowed, encouraged, and asked to make any
          > changes, additions,
          > or comments to the page as you see fit. It is *our*
          > project.
          >
          > So, if you want to be more famous, just add
          > something.
          >
          > (I did take your posted yahoo picture and added it
          > to my server so
          > Wiki can get to it. Thanks in advance for not
          > minding my use of it in
          > my post.)
          >
          > Rick
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01"
          > <ciyd@a...> wrote:
          > > Wow, my first underquilt prototype is now famous!
          > Nice additions
          > > Rick.
          > >
          > > ciyd
          > >
          > > > I made a few changes and modifications to the
          > > > Staying WArm page on Hammock Wiki:
          > > >

          > http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Staying_Warm

          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
          http://companion.yahoo.com/
        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
            Hi Bill,

            Replies in line...

            Quoting Bill Fornshell:

            > Hi Risk, A lot of people talk about using the Target
            > "Blue Closed Cell Pad." Do you have any idea what the
            > "R" value of this pad is?

            About the same as the RidgeRest, or a bit less... Ridge Rest is 2.6. I
            calculated the Target pad at something like 2.5. I will see if the package
            says, though I doubt it.

            > I have had great success staying warm in my hammock
            > (down to 30 degrees)(this is south Texas) by just
            > using a Therm-A-Rest "Standard" full size pad and a
            > decent sleeping bag. I expect this combination and my
            > long underwear will keep me much warmer without all
            > the other extra stuff you are playing with. I believe
            > in the KISS theory and hope to test this during Ed's
            > Christmas Hike. Bill

            I think you can stay reasonable warm with that set up as long as you can stay on
            top of the thermarest. My shoulders would get pretty cold in a Speer type
            hammock without a pad that rolled up around my shoulders, but using a flatter
            hammock like the HH you one probably do OK with that. I've used the standard
            Thermorest 72 incher in a HH.

            And if you get cold, you can always bail to the ground with that set-up. I can
            too, but it seems like a nice challenge to see how low a temperature I can stay
            comfortable in and still stay in the hammock.

            Here's why I consider other alternatives: That bugger of yours (I have one too)
            weighs 2 pounds and 11 ounces. My pad and TravelPod weigh a little under a
            pound and will keep me warm, not just down to 30 but down to at least 25 in the
            wind. How much lower, I don't know yet. I admit to being a gram-weenie. The
            extra pound and 11 is an obvious target.

            What I am describing ("all the extra stuff")is only a bit more complicated. You
            throw a pad in the hammock and then zip a cover over the hammock. Put some of
            my camping stuff in the cover. I believe the system has the potential to give
            R values considerably higher than it is possible to get with a thermarest.

            Have a great Christmas hike in Georgia. Wish I had a few days to come along. I
            get down
            to SA several times a year. Maybe we can meet one of these days.

            Risk
          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
              Hi Risk, Thanks for the reply. I should also have
              said that when or if my sewing skills improve I will
              try some other things like you and others are doing.
              At this time I have to be content with trying to make
              do with what I have. I can trade a little extra weight
              for the "Standard" pad and a Down bag as my pack and
              other things are very light. I use a Speer Silk
              Hammock with a Silk Gauze Bug Net (14oz) with a
              "Standard" pad and sleep on my side. I don't move much
              when I sleep. I want to also get a Target pad but the
              store near me doesn't have them this time of the year.
              Therm-A-Rest has a new pad coming out called the
              Pro-Lite 4, one is 25" wide by 77" long, has an "R"
              value of 3.2, is 1-1/2" thick and weights 33oz. I
              want to try one when they go on sale. On the hike in
              Georgia I hope to see some snow and at least one night
              of temperatures near 0 degrees. Then it can go back
              to between 20 to 30 degrees or warmer. I need a base
              line to see what works and what doesn't. I believe 0
              degrees in a Hammock is possible, just have to work
              out the engineering for it.

              I am making an aluminum Pack Frame/Sled for the hike
              that I can wear or if there is enough snow I can pull
              it. I will finish it today and then try and make a
              pack bag for it. Bill

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
                Hey guys,

                I looked at R-values for closed cell foam pads last January. One of
                the few closed cell foam pads with solid surfaces that I could find
                manufactures specifications on was the Link Rest by Cascade Designs
                and I am assuming that other solid surfaced closed cell foam pads
                that have a density between 1.5 and 2.0 pounds per cubic foot have an
                R-value proportional to the R-value of the Link Rest, which is 1.9
                with a thickness of 7/16 inch. That would mean that a quality 3/8
                inch closed cell foam pad would have an R-value of about 1.6.

                I contacted Cascade Designs and asked them about their R-value
                tests. I was told that they use flat plates to equally weight the
                pad under test over its entire surface area. To me, this means that
                the self inflating pads test higher that they perform because we
                don't load them equally-- we collapse the pads significantly in the
                areas of our greatest weight, our butts for instance. It also means
                that we have to be careful how we use the closed cell pads with large
                open surface cells, i.e. the Ridgerest, Z-rest, convoluted pads,
                etc. These pads are intended to be used against air-tight surfaces
                on both sides; if that condition is not meet I think the R-value will
                be determined by something in between the minimun and maximum
                thickness of the pad. This is a concern to me when one side of the
                pad is placed against the breathable material of a hammock.

                Anyway, I thought I would throw that out there since the subject came
                up... it is what I figured out and hopefully some of it is right. I
                didn't get to test this out in cold weather because I was in and out
                of town pretty much all of last winter. Since then I have decided to
                try out multiple 3/8 inch REI blue pads but haven't had them in
                temperatures much below freezing.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
                  Dave Womble wrote:

                  >Hey guys,
                  >
                  >I looked at R-values for closed cell foam pads last January. One of
                  >the few closed cell foam pads with solid surfaces that I could find
                  >manufactures specifications on was the Link Rest by Cascade Designs
                  >and I am assuming that other solid surfaced closed cell foam pads
                  >that have a density between 1.5 and 2.0 pounds per cubic foot have an
                  >R-value proportional to the R-value of the Link Rest, which is 1.9
                  >with a thickness of 7/16 inch. That would mean that a quality 3/8
                  >inch closed cell foam pad would have an R-value of about 1.6.
                  >
                  >I contacted Cascade Designs and asked them about their R-value
                  >tests. I was told that they use flat plates to equally weight the
                  >pad under test over its entire surface area. To me, this means that
                  >the self inflating pads test higher that they perform because we
                  >don't load them equally-- we collapse the pads significantly in the
                  >areas of our greatest weight, our butts for instance. It also means
                  >that we have to be careful how we use the closed cell pads with large
                  >open surface cells, i.e. the Ridgerest, Z-rest, convoluted pads,
                  >etc. These pads are intended to be used against air-tight surfaces
                  >on both sides; if that condition is not meet I think the R-value will
                  >be determined by something in between the minimun and maximum
                  >thickness of the pad. This is a concern to me when one side of the
                  >pad is placed against the breathable material of a hammock.
                  >
                  >Anyway, I thought I would throw that out there since the subject came
                  >up... it is what I figured out and hopefully some of it is right. I
                  >didn't get to test this out in cold weather because I was in and out
                  >of town pretty much all of last winter. Since then I have decided to
                  >try out multiple 3/8 inch REI blue pads but haven't had them in
                  >temperatures much below freezing.
                  >
                  >Dave

                  Cool! err... Hot!

                  One thing I did learn when I was looking up info on what the value might
                  be was that 3 1/2 in fiberglass batting has an R value of 11. So to my
                  little mind, 4 in of down probably has about the same. Empty vertical
                  spaces from 1/2 to 4 inches have only an R value of 1. Part of that may
                  be because it is vertical. Horizontal may do better. Nevertheless, it
                  is important to fill up those empty spaces with micro convection systems.

                  BTW, my calculation came from taking a value here:

                  http://coloradoenergy.org/procorner/stuff/r-values.htm

                  Specifically the foamed in place polyurethane, and multiplying 6.25 x
                  3/8. The actual answer is 2.3. But I did not take into consideration
                  weight being applied. If I assume that the 3/8 pad is compressed to 1/4
                  inch, then the calculation is 1.56 which is what Bear mentions above.

                  All of this helps explain to me why I have the impression, with my
                  overlap pad, that it is much warmer than a single pad. In the most
                  compressed part of the pad, the central 8 or 9 inches, I have an overlap
                  of two pads.

                  Thanks Dave!

                  Rick
                • firefly
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003

                    When you come to a conclusion please let me know. I am curious. Thanks, Marsanne