Re: [Hammock Camping] Waiting with bated breath!

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
      > OK Rick, just because you asked so nice--the Dec issue has just been
      posted
      > online at: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Dec2003.htm The
      > feature article is about the PeaPod!

      Thank God and thank you. It is good to breathe again.

      The article on the PeaPod was really one of your best. Keep up the
      good work.

      > BTY Rick, thanks for your interest and enthusiasm! Regarding down
      > PeaPods--I stayed toasty warm last night, did you? .....Ed

      It only got down to 28 last night with winds below 10 mph all night.
      I slept very very well... one of my best nights outside in the
      hammock. I had made a mod to the TravelPod to get a little more
      wiggle room around my shoulders and chest.

      Friday's prediction is for blowing snow and low of about 20. I'm
      hoping to have some additional mods to the TravelPod by then. The
      down quilt is wonderful. My goal for the winter is comfort at 0
      degrees in 15 mph wind with no more pad than my overlap pad. I figure
      I can get 6-8 inches of effective insulation under me and about 4
      inches over me with the TravelPod arrangement. My main area of
      interest now is increasing the effective insulation on the sides to at
      least 3 inches.

      Have fun and let's keep pushing the envelope! If we can routinely get
      to these temps without worry, the AT is doable in a hammock 12 months
      of the year.

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
        Message
        What are you using for insulation in the TravelPod Rick?  ...Ed
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
          Quoting Ed Speer <info@...>:

          > What are you using for insulation in the TravelPod Rick? ...Ed

          Over: down quilt made from 12 oz of down
          Under: 8 oz pack with heavy duty plastic bag inside

          The night before, I was even warmer when I added my 10x10 foot silnylon tarp.
          It tends to expand a lot when it is outside of a stuff sack and breaks up the
          space into different chambers that each have their own convection cells. That
          is the sort of insulation I will be using for the very cold experiments.

          On Friday, I will see what happens when heavy snow comes down without a tarp.
          The top of the hammock will be sealed by the TravelPod and may allow the snow
          just to fall off. What I don't know is if the surface will get warm enough to
          allow the snow to stick.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
            Message
            Best of luck Steve--let us know how it goes this weekend...Ed