Re: [Hammock Camping] Waiting with bated breath!

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
      > OK Rick, just because you asked so nice--the Dec issue has just
      been posted
      > online at: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Dec2003.htm
      The
      > feature article is about the PeaPod!

      Thanks, Ed! You've inspired me! I've been toying with the idea of
      getting out this weekend. Yesterday, forecast (Maryland) called for
      freezing rain on Sat, snow flurries on Sun - didn't sound like too
      much fun. Now they're saying rain on Fri, with snow flurries on Sat
      and Sun - sounds like more fun! I've been wanting to try out
      something like the Garlington Insulator - sounds like the
      opportunity....

      Cheers!

      Steve
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
        > OK Rick, just because you asked so nice--the Dec issue has just been
        posted
        > online at: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Dec2003.htm The
        > feature article is about the PeaPod!

        Thank God and thank you. It is good to breathe again.

        The article on the PeaPod was really one of your best. Keep up the
        good work.

        > BTY Rick, thanks for your interest and enthusiasm! Regarding down
        > PeaPods--I stayed toasty warm last night, did you? .....Ed

        It only got down to 28 last night with winds below 10 mph all night.
        I slept very very well... one of my best nights outside in the
        hammock. I had made a mod to the TravelPod to get a little more
        wiggle room around my shoulders and chest.

        Friday's prediction is for blowing snow and low of about 20. I'm
        hoping to have some additional mods to the TravelPod by then. The
        down quilt is wonderful. My goal for the winter is comfort at 0
        degrees in 15 mph wind with no more pad than my overlap pad. I figure
        I can get 6-8 inches of effective insulation under me and about 4
        inches over me with the TravelPod arrangement. My main area of
        interest now is increasing the effective insulation on the sides to at
        least 3 inches.

        Have fun and let's keep pushing the envelope! If we can routinely get
        to these temps without worry, the AT is doable in a hammock 12 months
        of the year.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
          Message
          What are you using for insulation in the TravelPod Rick?  ...Ed
        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
            Quoting Ed Speer <info@...>:

            > What are you using for insulation in the TravelPod Rick? ...Ed

            Over: down quilt made from 12 oz of down
            Under: 8 oz pack with heavy duty plastic bag inside

            The night before, I was even warmer when I added my 10x10 foot silnylon tarp.
            It tends to expand a lot when it is outside of a stuff sack and breaks up the
            space into different chambers that each have their own convection cells. That
            is the sort of insulation I will be using for the very cold experiments.

            On Friday, I will see what happens when heavy snow comes down without a tarp.
            The top of the hammock will be sealed by the TravelPod and may allow the snow
            just to fall off. What I don't know is if the surface will get warm enough to
            allow the snow to stick.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
              Message
              Best of luck Steve--let us know how it goes this weekend...Ed