RE: [Hammock Camping] Waiting with bated breath!

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
      Message
      OK Rick, just because you asked so nice--the Dec issue has just been posted online at: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Dec2003.htm  The feature article is about the PeaPod!

      It will be sent out via the subscription list in the next few minutes--yeah, I went canoeing over the weekend and didn't get around to the newsletter until yesterday and today.  Haven't even unpacked from the trip yet--waiting til the newsletter is done!  The house is a mess, but the newsletter is now finished!  Good thing, cause Karen's coming for a visit today--maybe I'd have time to clear the mess out!

      BTY Rick, thanks for your interest and enthusiasm!   Regarding down PeaPods--I stayed toasty warm last night, did you?   .....Ed

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
        > OK Rick, just because you asked so nice--the Dec issue has just
        been posted
        > online at: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Dec2003.htm
        The
        > feature article is about the PeaPod!

        Thanks, Ed! You've inspired me! I've been toying with the idea of
        getting out this weekend. Yesterday, forecast (Maryland) called for
        freezing rain on Sat, snow flurries on Sun - didn't sound like too
        much fun. Now they're saying rain on Fri, with snow flurries on Sat
        and Sun - sounds like more fun! I've been wanting to try out
        something like the Garlington Insulator - sounds like the
        opportunity....

        Cheers!

        Steve
      • Risk
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
          > OK Rick, just because you asked so nice--the Dec issue has just been
          posted
          > online at: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Dec2003.htm The
          > feature article is about the PeaPod!

          Thank God and thank you. It is good to breathe again.

          The article on the PeaPod was really one of your best. Keep up the
          good work.

          > BTY Rick, thanks for your interest and enthusiasm! Regarding down
          > PeaPods--I stayed toasty warm last night, did you? .....Ed

          It only got down to 28 last night with winds below 10 mph all night.
          I slept very very well... one of my best nights outside in the
          hammock. I had made a mod to the TravelPod to get a little more
          wiggle room around my shoulders and chest.

          Friday's prediction is for blowing snow and low of about 20. I'm
          hoping to have some additional mods to the TravelPod by then. The
          down quilt is wonderful. My goal for the winter is comfort at 0
          degrees in 15 mph wind with no more pad than my overlap pad. I figure
          I can get 6-8 inches of effective insulation under me and about 4
          inches over me with the TravelPod arrangement. My main area of
          interest now is increasing the effective insulation on the sides to at
          least 3 inches.

          Have fun and let's keep pushing the envelope! If we can routinely get
          to these temps without worry, the AT is doable in a hammock 12 months
          of the year.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
            Message
            What are you using for insulation in the TravelPod Rick?  ...Ed
          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
              Quoting Ed Speer <info@...>:

              > What are you using for insulation in the TravelPod Rick? ...Ed

              Over: down quilt made from 12 oz of down
              Under: 8 oz pack with heavy duty plastic bag inside

              The night before, I was even warmer when I added my 10x10 foot silnylon tarp.
              It tends to expand a lot when it is outside of a stuff sack and breaks up the
              space into different chambers that each have their own convection cells. That
              is the sort of insulation I will be using for the very cold experiments.

              On Friday, I will see what happens when heavy snow comes down without a tarp.
              The top of the hammock will be sealed by the TravelPod and may allow the snow
              just to fall off. What I don't know is if the surface will get warm enough to
              allow the snow to stick.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
                Message
                Best of luck Steve--let us know how it goes this weekend...Ed