"Staying Warm" in Hammock Wiki

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
      I made a few changes and modifications to the
      Staying WArm page on Hammock Wiki:

      http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Staying_Warm

      If you have not made an entry about yourself under Active Hammock
      Campers, I encourage you to do so on this page:

      http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Active_Hammock_Campers

      Just click
      "EDIT TEXT of this PAGE" at the bottom and it will be clear how to do so.

      Rick
    • ciyd01
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
        Wow, my first underquilt prototype is now famous! Nice additions
        Rick.

        ciyd

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
          You are allowed, encouraged, and asked to make any changes, additions,
          or comments to the page as you see fit. It is *our* project.

          So, if you want to be more famous, just add something.

          (I did take your posted yahoo picture and added it to my server so
          Wiki can get to it. Thanks in advance for not minding my use of it in
          my post.)

          Rick

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
          > Wow, my first underquilt prototype is now famous! Nice additions
          > Rick.
          >
          > ciyd
          >
          > > I made a few changes and modifications to the
          > > Staying WArm page on Hammock Wiki:
          > >
          > > http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Staying_Warm
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
            Hi Risk, A lot of people talk about using the Target
            "Blue Closed Cell Pad." Do you have any idea what the
            "R" value of this pad is?

            I have had great success staying warm in my hammock
            (down to 30 degrees)(this is south Texas) by just
            using a Therm-A-Rest "Standard" full size pad and a
            decent sleeping bag. I expect this combination and my
            long underwear will keep me much warmer without all
            the other extra stuff you are playing with. I believe
            in the KISS theory and hope to test this during Ed's
            Christmas Hike. Bill

            --- Risk <ra1@...> wrote:
            > You are allowed, encouraged, and asked to make any
            > changes, additions,
            > or comments to the page as you see fit. It is *our*
            > project.
            >
            > So, if you want to be more famous, just add
            > something.
            >
            > (I did take your posted yahoo picture and added it
            > to my server so
            > Wiki can get to it. Thanks in advance for not
            > minding my use of it in
            > my post.)
            >
            > Rick
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01"
            > <ciyd@a...> wrote:
            > > Wow, my first underquilt prototype is now famous!
            > Nice additions
            > > Rick.
            > >
            > > ciyd
            > >
            > > > I made a few changes and modifications to the
            > > > Staying WArm page on Hammock Wiki:
            > > >

            > http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Staying_Warm

            Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
            http://companion.yahoo.com/
          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
              Hi Bill,

              Replies in line...

              Quoting Bill Fornshell:

              > Hi Risk, A lot of people talk about using the Target
              > "Blue Closed Cell Pad." Do you have any idea what the
              > "R" value of this pad is?

              About the same as the RidgeRest, or a bit less... Ridge Rest is 2.6. I
              calculated the Target pad at something like 2.5. I will see if the package
              says, though I doubt it.

              > I have had great success staying warm in my hammock
              > (down to 30 degrees)(this is south Texas) by just
              > using a Therm-A-Rest "Standard" full size pad and a
              > decent sleeping bag. I expect this combination and my
              > long underwear will keep me much warmer without all
              > the other extra stuff you are playing with. I believe
              > in the KISS theory and hope to test this during Ed's
              > Christmas Hike. Bill

              I think you can stay reasonable warm with that set up as long as you can stay on
              top of the thermarest. My shoulders would get pretty cold in a Speer type
              hammock without a pad that rolled up around my shoulders, but using a flatter
              hammock like the HH you one probably do OK with that. I've used the standard
              Thermorest 72 incher in a HH.

              And if you get cold, you can always bail to the ground with that set-up. I can
              too, but it seems like a nice challenge to see how low a temperature I can stay
              comfortable in and still stay in the hammock.

              Here's why I consider other alternatives: That bugger of yours (I have one too)
              weighs 2 pounds and 11 ounces. My pad and TravelPod weigh a little under a
              pound and will keep me warm, not just down to 30 but down to at least 25 in the
              wind. How much lower, I don't know yet. I admit to being a gram-weenie. The
              extra pound and 11 is an obvious target.

              What I am describing ("all the extra stuff")is only a bit more complicated. You
              throw a pad in the hammock and then zip a cover over the hammock. Put some of
              my camping stuff in the cover. I believe the system has the potential to give
              R values considerably higher than it is possible to get with a thermarest.

              Have a great Christmas hike in Georgia. Wish I had a few days to come along. I
              get down
              to SA several times a year. Maybe we can meet one of these days.

              Risk
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
                Hi Risk, Thanks for the reply. I should also have
                said that when or if my sewing skills improve I will
                try some other things like you and others are doing.
                At this time I have to be content with trying to make
                do with what I have. I can trade a little extra weight
                for the "Standard" pad and a Down bag as my pack and
                other things are very light. I use a Speer Silk
                Hammock with a Silk Gauze Bug Net (14oz) with a
                "Standard" pad and sleep on my side. I don't move much
                when I sleep. I want to also get a Target pad but the
                store near me doesn't have them this time of the year.
                Therm-A-Rest has a new pad coming out called the
                Pro-Lite 4, one is 25" wide by 77" long, has an "R"
                value of 3.2, is 1-1/2" thick and weights 33oz. I
                want to try one when they go on sale. On the hike in
                Georgia I hope to see some snow and at least one night
                of temperatures near 0 degrees. Then it can go back
                to between 20 to 30 degrees or warmer. I need a base
                line to see what works and what doesn't. I believe 0
                degrees in a Hammock is possible, just have to work
                out the engineering for it.

                I am making an aluminum Pack Frame/Sled for the hike
                that I can wear or if there is enough snow I can pull
                it. I will finish it today and then try and make a
                pack bag for it. Bill

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
                  Hey guys,

                  I looked at R-values for closed cell foam pads last January. One of
                  the few closed cell foam pads with solid surfaces that I could find
                  manufactures specifications on was the Link Rest by Cascade Designs
                  and I am assuming that other solid surfaced closed cell foam pads
                  that have a density between 1.5 and 2.0 pounds per cubic foot have an
                  R-value proportional to the R-value of the Link Rest, which is 1.9
                  with a thickness of 7/16 inch. That would mean that a quality 3/8
                  inch closed cell foam pad would have an R-value of about 1.6.

                  I contacted Cascade Designs and asked them about their R-value
                  tests. I was told that they use flat plates to equally weight the
                  pad under test over its entire surface area. To me, this means that
                  the self inflating pads test higher that they perform because we
                  don't load them equally-- we collapse the pads significantly in the
                  areas of our greatest weight, our butts for instance. It also means
                  that we have to be careful how we use the closed cell pads with large
                  open surface cells, i.e. the Ridgerest, Z-rest, convoluted pads,
                  etc. These pads are intended to be used against air-tight surfaces
                  on both sides; if that condition is not meet I think the R-value will
                  be determined by something in between the minimun and maximum
                  thickness of the pad. This is a concern to me when one side of the
                  pad is placed against the breathable material of a hammock.

                  Anyway, I thought I would throw that out there since the subject came
                  up... it is what I figured out and hopefully some of it is right. I
                  didn't get to test this out in cold weather because I was in and out
                  of town pretty much all of last winter. Since then I have decided to
                  try out multiple 3/8 inch REI blue pads but haven't had them in
                  temperatures much below freezing.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
                    Dave Womble wrote:

                    >Hey guys,
                    >
                    >I looked at R-values for closed cell foam pads last January. One of
                    >the few closed cell foam pads with solid surfaces that I could find
                    >manufactures specifications on was the Link Rest by Cascade Designs
                    >and I am assuming that other solid surfaced closed cell foam pads
                    >that have a density between 1.5 and 2.0 pounds per cubic foot have an
                    >R-value proportional to the R-value of the Link Rest, which is 1.9
                    >with a thickness of 7/16 inch. That would mean that a quality 3/8
                    >inch closed cell foam pad would have an R-value of about 1.6.
                    >
                    >I contacted Cascade Designs and asked them about their R-value
                    >tests. I was told that they use flat plates to equally weight the
                    >pad under test over its entire surface area. To me, this means that
                    >the self inflating pads test higher that they perform because we
                    >don't load them equally-- we collapse the pads significantly in the
                    >areas of our greatest weight, our butts for instance. It also means
                    >that we have to be careful how we use the closed cell pads with large
                    >open surface cells, i.e. the Ridgerest, Z-rest, convoluted pads,
                    >etc. These pads are intended to be used against air-tight surfaces
                    >on both sides; if that condition is not meet I think the R-value will
                    >be determined by something in between the minimun and maximum
                    >thickness of the pad. This is a concern to me when one side of the
                    >pad is placed against the breathable material of a hammock.
                    >
                    >Anyway, I thought I would throw that out there since the subject came
                    >up... it is what I figured out and hopefully some of it is right. I
                    >didn't get to test this out in cold weather because I was in and out
                    >of town pretty much all of last winter. Since then I have decided to
                    >try out multiple 3/8 inch REI blue pads but haven't had them in
                    >temperatures much below freezing.
                    >
                    >Dave

                    Cool! err... Hot!

                    One thing I did learn when I was looking up info on what the value might
                    be was that 3 1/2 in fiberglass batting has an R value of 11. So to my
                    little mind, 4 in of down probably has about the same. Empty vertical
                    spaces from 1/2 to 4 inches have only an R value of 1. Part of that may
                    be because it is vertical. Horizontal may do better. Nevertheless, it
                    is important to fill up those empty spaces with micro convection systems.

                    BTW, my calculation came from taking a value here:

                    http://coloradoenergy.org/procorner/stuff/r-values.htm

                    Specifically the foamed in place polyurethane, and multiplying 6.25 x
                    3/8. The actual answer is 2.3. But I did not take into consideration
                    weight being applied. If I assume that the 3/8 pad is compressed to 1/4
                    inch, then the calculation is 1.56 which is what Bear mentions above.

                    All of this helps explain to me why I have the impression, with my
                    overlap pad, that it is much warmer than a single pad. In the most
                    compressed part of the pad, the central 8 or 9 inches, I have an overlap
                    of two pads.

                    Thanks Dave!

                    Rick
                  • firefly
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003

                      When you come to a conclusion please let me know. I am curious. Thanks, Marsanne