RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: REI

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003

      You are SO RIGHT. My sister and her hubby are buying backpacking gear. I found out over TG. They live in Cincinnati. Neither has home emails and with their money, no excuse…. I insisted she have him call me to clear all purchases before he goes into an REI or whatever they have up there and blows a lot of $$$ and ends up carrying a bunch of junk that will hurt my baby sister’s back!

      Marsanne

      Those of us who surf the net looking for new camping ideas are 18-24
      months ahead of the retail game. I remember walking into our local
      big name camping retailer two years ago (anyone heard of Galyans?)
      and asking the clerk if they had any LED flashlights. No one in the
      store had even heard of LEDs. Now they have an entire display.

      .

    • jmgiv47
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 7, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "canoetrip_2000"
        <firefly@e...> wrote:
        > I just looked at the REI website for the first time in a long time
        > and they are selling HH! What a surprise!
        > Marsanne

        A little over a year ago a Missoula REI dude-ess asked if she could
        help. I asked if they stocked HHs. She said no but then I found one
        in the tent display. When I let her know she didn't seem too
        impressed...things catch on slowly in the backpacking world.
      • robbstanek
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 21, 2003
          <firefly@e...> wrote:
          > I just looked at the REI website for the first time in a long time
          > and they are selling HH! What a surprise!
          > Marsanne

          I work part time at the REI store near Dunwoody in Georgia. We've
          been stocking HH's for well over a year, and there are many of us in
          the store who own one. We're lucky, we have 2 trees out front that
          are just about perfect for a demo.

          Perhaps the reluctance comes from (1) lack of knowledge, and (2) once
          set up outside, any tent or hammock can be perceived as used. With
          the way we change the store plan, it's hard to find an area to set it
          up indoors consistently.

          I feel like a disciple in the HH church, as anyone who comes in
          looking for a lightweight solo shelter gets my HH intro. Last I
          looked, we had on exped in stock, but 5 asym backpackers.

          What can I say, spread the word...

          Robb
        • Robert Moore
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 21, 2003
            Spread the word? Well maybe, just my end up with the government posting bans on hammocking for fear of tree damage. I would hate to see a 'trail head inspector' looking for HH's or Speers. Its easy enough now to stealth camp, in fact that much easier considering the hammcocks real estate advantage....on the serious side the hammock will mushroom into exceptance much like the internal frame pack, there is a collective cumbustible number of people who have to 'get in the know' or jump on the proverbial band wagon before it becomes as common as Avery wanted his Tobasco to be. I remember when my oldest daughter first got into an HH, it was after a week of camping on the upper P in Michigan, her response 'oooo this is nice' says it all.

            <firefly@e...> wrote:
            > I just looked at the REI website for the first time in a long time
            > and they are selling HH! What a surprise!
            > Marsanne

            I work part time at the REI store near Dunwoody in Georgia. We've
            been stocking HH's for well over a year, and there are many of us in
            the store who own one. We're lucky, we have 2 trees out front that
            are just about perfect for a demo.

            Perhaps the reluctance comes from (1) lack of knowledge, and (2) once
            set up outside, any tent or hammock can be perceived as used. With
            the way we change the store plan, it's hard to find an area to set it
            up indoors consistently.

            I feel like a disciple in the HH church, as anyone who comes in
            looking for a lightweight solo shelter gets my HH intro. Last I
            looked, we had on exped in stock, but 5 asym backpackers.

            What can I say, spread the word...

            Robb

            Do you Yahoo!?