Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: REI

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
      The outfitter in Hot Springs NC has a HH up on a stand, but the stand is
      not strong enough to hold one's weight. I wonder when the market gurus
      will figure out that a hammock on a hammock stand will sell itself.

      Risk

      Steve wrote:

      > When I was in the market for a hammock a couple of
      >months ago, I dropped by the new REI near my home. While they had a
      >HH exped asym in stock (and I do mean one, and only the exped asym),
      >they didn't have anywhere to put it up. The sales person wasn't
      >very excited about taking it out of the bag, and they obviously
      >wouldn't let me take it home to try it out.

    • Shane
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
        > The outfitter in Hot Springs NC has a HH up on a stand, but the stand is
        > not strong enough to hold one's weight. I wonder when the market gurus
        > will figure out that a hammock on a hammock stand will sell itself.

        It's just simple ignorance. Hammocks are still in the 'gadget' category as
        far as the merchants are concerned.

        Shane
      • jjoven_49
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
          Those of us who surf the net looking for new camping ideas are 18-24
          months ahead of the retail game. I remember walking into our local
          big name camping retailer two years ago (anyone heard of Galyans?)
          and asking the clerk if they had any LED flashlights. No one in the
          store had even heard of LEDs. Now they have an entire display.
        • firefly

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 7, 2003
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "canoetrip_2000"
              <firefly@e...> wrote:
              > I just looked at the REI website for the first time in a long time
              > and they are selling HH! What a surprise!
              > Marsanne

              A little over a year ago a Missoula REI dude-ess asked if she could
              help. I asked if they stocked HHs. She said no but then I found one
              in the tent display. When I let her know she didn't seem too
              impressed...things catch on slowly in the backpacking world.
            • robbstanek
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 21, 2003
                <firefly@e...> wrote:
                > I just looked at the REI website for the first time in a long time
                > and they are selling HH! What a surprise!
                > Marsanne

                I work part time at the REI store near Dunwoody in Georgia. We've
                been stocking HH's for well over a year, and there are many of us in
                the store who own one. We're lucky, we have 2 trees out front that
                are just about perfect for a demo.

                Perhaps the reluctance comes from (1) lack of knowledge, and (2) once
                set up outside, any tent or hammock can be perceived as used. With
                the way we change the store plan, it's hard to find an area to set it
                up indoors consistently.

                I feel like a disciple in the HH church, as anyone who comes in
                looking for a lightweight solo shelter gets my HH intro. Last I
                looked, we had on exped in stock, but 5 asym backpackers.

                What can I say, spread the word...

                Robb
              • Robert Moore
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 21, 2003
                  Spread the word? Well maybe, just my end up with the government posting bans on hammocking for fear of tree damage. I would hate to see a 'trail head inspector' looking for HH's or Speers. Its easy enough now to stealth camp, in fact that much easier considering the hammcocks real estate advantage....on the serious side the hammock will mushroom into exceptance much like the internal frame pack, there is a collective cumbustible number of people who have to 'get in the know' or jump on the proverbial band wagon before it becomes as common as Avery wanted his Tobasco to be. I remember when my oldest daughter first got into an HH, it was after a week of camping on the upper P in Michigan, her response 'oooo this is nice' says it all.

                  <firefly@e...> wrote:
                  > I just looked at the REI website for the first time in a long time
                  > and they are selling HH! What a surprise!
                  > Marsanne

                  I work part time at the REI store near Dunwoody in Georgia. We've
                  been stocking HH's for well over a year, and there are many of us in
                  the store who own one. We're lucky, we have 2 trees out front that
                  are just about perfect for a demo.

                  Perhaps the reluctance comes from (1) lack of knowledge, and (2) once
                  set up outside, any tent or hammock can be perceived as used. With
                  the way we change the store plan, it's hard to find an area to set it
                  up indoors consistently.

                  I feel like a disciple in the HH church, as anyone who comes in
                  looking for a lightweight solo shelter gets my HH intro. Last I
                  looked, we had on exped in stock, but 5 asym backpackers.

                  What can I say, spread the word...

                  Robb

                  Do you Yahoo!?