Re: REI

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
      Steve,

      I don't think that it is wrong to buy it, take it home, try it out
      and then return it if you don't like it enough to keep it. That is
      one of REI's selling points and I think they are serious about it.
      Sometimes that is the only way you can see what a product really is--
      and certainly something like the Hennessy Hammocks needs to be tried
      out... it is different from your average shelter. I would be
      reluctant to buy any backpacking hammock without the understanding
      that I could return it after I got a chance to get it and try it
      out. With the local REI, you can return it without incurring
      shipping charges that you would likely have to absorb if you weren't
      able to buy locally. Use that to your advantage and don't feel as if
      you are doing something wrong, because you're not. I think the other
      backpacking hammock manufacturers will let you 'try out' there
      products (maybe by buying and then returning), but I suspect that
      they will want you to pay the shipping charges.

      REI has been selling the HHs since last year and I have observed
      their employees several times when potential customers asked about
      them. Usually the employee hasn't used one and therefore doesn't
      have much to say about them, but one time I saw an employee who had
      used one on a thru-hike and he was very informative. I think he
      pulled it out and hung it up between two shelves to give the customer
      some idea as to what it looked like. But, they obviously couldn't
      get in and try it out.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <sjoiner@a...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "canoetrip_2000"
      > <firefly@e...> wrote:
      > > I just looked at the REI website for the first time in a long
      time
      > > and they are selling HH! What a surprise!
      > > Marsanne
      >
      > Hi, Marsanne. When I was in the market for a hammock a couple of
      > months ago, I dropped by the new REI near my home. While they had
      > HH exped asym in stock (and I do mean one, and only the exped
      asym),
      > they didn't have anywhere to put it up. The sales person wasn't
      > very excited about taking it out of the bag, and they obviously
      > wouldn't let me take it home to try it out. (In retrospect, I
      > thought I could have just bought it, and taken it home to try out
      > with the intention of returning it, but am not sure I'm comfortable
      > with the ethics of that...) So, while I agree that they are now
      > selling them - they sure aren't selling them very well at my local
      > REI!
      >
      > Cheers!
      >
      > Steve
    • canoetrip_2000
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
        We have a really good local outdoor shop, locally owned, been in
        business for 30 years. I have a friend who works there, and tried to
        persuade them to start carrying HH. She said markup is not nearly
        enough. I would imagine, also, that potential lawsuit issues factor
        in, unlike with crawling into tents. It's not easy to get hurt in a
        hammock that is properly set up, but some people will sue over
        nothing. I bought my HH without trying it. I just looked at Shane's
        video and used my brain. It's not a complicated knot.
        Marsanne

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
          The outfitter in Hot Springs NC has a HH up on a stand, but the stand is
          not strong enough to hold one's weight. I wonder when the market gurus
          will figure out that a hammock on a hammock stand will sell itself.

          Risk

          Steve wrote:

          > When I was in the market for a hammock a couple of
          >months ago, I dropped by the new REI near my home. While they had a
          >HH exped asym in stock (and I do mean one, and only the exped asym),
          >they didn't have anywhere to put it up. The sales person wasn't
          >very excited about taking it out of the bag, and they obviously
          >wouldn't let me take it home to try it out.

        • Shane
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
            > The outfitter in Hot Springs NC has a HH up on a stand, but the stand is
            > not strong enough to hold one's weight. I wonder when the market gurus
            > will figure out that a hammock on a hammock stand will sell itself.

            It's just simple ignorance. Hammocks are still in the 'gadget' category as
            far as the merchants are concerned.

            Shane
          • jjoven_49
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2003
              Those of us who surf the net looking for new camping ideas are 18-24
              months ahead of the retail game. I remember walking into our local
              big name camping retailer two years ago (anyone heard of Galyans?)
              and asking the clerk if they had any LED flashlights. No one in the
              store had even heard of LEDs. Now they have an entire display.
            • firefly

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 7, 2003
                  <firefly@e...> wrote:
                  > I just looked at the REI website for the first time in a long time
                  > and they are selling HH! What a surprise!
                  > Marsanne

                  A little over a year ago a Missoula REI dude-ess asked if she could
                  help. I asked if they stocked HHs. She said no but then I found one
                  in the tent display. When I let her know she didn't seem too
                  impressed...things catch on slowly in the backpacking world.
                • robbstanek
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 21, 2003
                    <firefly@e...> wrote:
                    > I just looked at the REI website for the first time in a long time
                    > and they are selling HH! What a surprise!
                    > Marsanne

                    I work part time at the REI store near Dunwoody in Georgia. We've
                    been stocking HH's for well over a year, and there are many of us in
                    the store who own one. We're lucky, we have 2 trees out front that
                    are just about perfect for a demo.

                    Perhaps the reluctance comes from (1) lack of knowledge, and (2) once
                    set up outside, any tent or hammock can be perceived as used. With
                    the way we change the store plan, it's hard to find an area to set it
                    up indoors consistently.

                    I feel like a disciple in the HH church, as anyone who comes in
                    looking for a lightweight solo shelter gets my HH intro. Last I
                    looked, we had on exped in stock, but 5 asym backpackers.

                    What can I say, spread the word...

                    Robb
                  • Robert Moore
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 21, 2003
                      Spread the word? Well maybe, just my end up with the government posting bans on hammocking for fear of tree damage. I would hate to see a 'trail head inspector' looking for HH's or Speers. Its easy enough now to stealth camp, in fact that much easier considering the hammcocks real estate advantage....on the serious side the hammock will mushroom into exceptance much like the internal frame pack, there is a collective cumbustible number of people who have to 'get in the know' or jump on the proverbial band wagon before it becomes as common as Avery wanted his Tobasco to be. I remember when my oldest daughter first got into an HH, it was after a week of camping on the upper P in Michigan, her response 'oooo this is nice' says it all.

                      <firefly@e...> wrote:
                      > I just looked at the REI website for the first time in a long time
                      > and they are selling HH! What a surprise!
                      > Marsanne

                      I work part time at the REI store near Dunwoody in Georgia. We've
                      been stocking HH's for well over a year, and there are many of us in
                      the store who own one. We're lucky, we have 2 trees out front that
                      are just about perfect for a demo.

                      Perhaps the reluctance comes from (1) lack of knowledge, and (2) once
                      set up outside, any tent or hammock can be perceived as used. With
                      the way we change the store plan, it's hard to find an area to set it
                      up indoors consistently.

                      I feel like a disciple in the HH church, as anyone who comes in
                      looking for a lightweight solo shelter gets my HH intro. Last I
                      looked, we had on exped in stock, but 5 asym backpackers.

                      What can I say, spread the word...

                      Robb

                      Do you Yahoo!?