Re: [Hammock Camping] Not a banana (starting out)

  • subypower
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
      well chris i use a HH expidition asym, and love it

      the reasons i like it are :

      i move a lot during the night and i think it has more room than a
      speer

      i like the bottom entry for bug reasons, it is fast and no bugs get
      in as well ( bad bugs where i live ... MD )

      i like the bug net in the winter too it does help hold a little heat

      it is cheaper than almost all the other hammocks

      what i dont like are (HH):

      well i drew a blank

      i have tried a speer but not slept in it and my opinions are :

      i think it is a little narrower and i feel more confined in it

      i do like the top entry but i think i can do the HH entry just as fast

      i like the idea of the peapod bag

      and the larger fly of the speer is nice but the HH has kept me dry,
      but i am planning on a larger fly ( one side of a hex fly ) for use
      when outside the hammock

      the best thing i can say is get in both and look at em to see what
      you think, you could make a speer type hammock for a comfort test for
      10 bucks ( not for long term use or even for a week )

      if you ask i am sure there is a tree hanger near you some where that
      would let you take a nap

      white knight
    • Chris Aguilera
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
        Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as white knight puts it below?  I'd be interested in looking at any and all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

        Thanks,

        Chris

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
          Chris Aguilera wrote:

          > Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as
          > white knight puts it below? I'd be interested in looking at any and
          > all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

          Hey Chris,

          Near being a relative term I am in Bakersfield California and would be
          happy to help you out if'n by near you mean the same state. (At least
          I'm a lot closer than them East Coasters!!!)

          I have a couple of spear type hammocks a Bana Travel hammock and I can
          get my hands on at least one and maybe two Hennessey hammocks with a
          little bit of notice.

          Tom
          Pura Vida