Re: [Hammock Camping] boat hammock

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      alidisaster wrote:

      >I have a problem. I need to fit more beds in my boat, but can't
      >build in bunks. There isn't enough length to fit in normal hammocks,
      >but I do have a steel roof.

      A couple more ideas:

      A pipe berth:

      http://dmcleish.com/oceanplanet/pipeberth.html

      A root berth:

      A root berth is usually a wooden bar with a canvas rolled around it. The
      bar has a square at either end that can be dropped into a socket that
      stops it from turning.

      The outboard edge is simply a hunk of pipe slipped into a pouch sewn into
      the canvas.

      In operation the pipe drops into a set of slots.

      The root berth is simply unrolled to the desired sag the sleeper wishes
      and the pipe is dropped into a slot suitable for the sea state.

      In port it functions much like any single bunk, but in slop the extra
      canvas can be unrolled so the sleeper is in a sagging pouch , and the
      pipe end placed into a high slot to preclude rolling out.
    • butuki
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
        > Sooo . . .
        > I was wondering about making some hammocks using spreader bars. I
        > know these are usually frowned on because they are unstable.
        > However, I could put eye bolts through the roof, so that each end of
        > the spreader bar was suspended. Then the hammock couldn't tip over.

        Have you looked at New Tribe's ( http://www.newtribe.com/index.html ) Tree Boat?
        Their hammocks are designed to be used in trees and are just about gospel for tree
        climbers. They use spreader bars and a four-way hanging-line system. They cannot
        tip over (though I'm not sure if the lack of ability to swing would be what you are
        looking for in a boat).

        Anyway have a look. Might give you some inspiration.
      • alidisaster
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
          Ta very much for that - I've emailed them for details - their
          Treeboat is what I was thinking of making - if it will fit in my
          space, I'll buy one.

          > Have you looked at New Tribe's (
          http://www.newtribe.com/index.html ) Tree Boat?
          > Their hammocks are designed to be used in trees and are just about
          gospel for tree
          > climbers. They use spreader bars and a four-way hanging-line
          system. They cannot
          > tip over (though I'm not sure if the lack of ability to swing would
          be what you are
          > looking for in a boat).
          >
          > Anyway have a look. Might give you some inspiration.
        • mindrehab248
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
            <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
            > Ta very much for that - I've emailed them for details - their
            > Treeboat is what I was thinking of making - if it will fit in my
            > space, I'll buy one.

            Sorry if this was already asked, but how tall are you? Several people
            taller than 6' tall, myself included, have had some difficulty
            getting comfortable. YMMV. Very well built and New Tribe is a company
            that really works with you. Patrick
          • alidisaster
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 7, 2004
              I'm only 5'8". My main prob is lack of space for a conventional
              hammock - so thought their solution might fit in.

              From the web photos, their hammocks do look quite curved - not sure
              about the sleeping position.

              No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.

              If I don't get a response, I might show the photo to a friend who is
              good with a sewing machine, and ask her about making something
              similar. Would prefer a properly made one tho'.

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mindrehab248"

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 7, 2004
                > From the web photos, their hammocks do look quite curved - not sure
                > about the sleeping position.

                I know several people who are comfortable on their sides. Back
                sleeping is apparently pretty good, too, especially if you put a
                rolled up towel or a smallish pillow behind your knees.

                > No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.

                Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp. Sophia) might have some
                ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.

                Patrick
              • alidisaster
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 9, 2004
                  Phoning is impractical - as I only have a mobile, and don't want to
                  use it to call the USA!

                  At this rate, I'll just have to try 'making my own'. don't have time
                  or facilities, tho' :-|
                  <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:

                  > > No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.
                  >
                  > Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp. Sophia) might have
                  some
                  > ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.
                  >
                  > Patrick
                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 9, 2004
                    Hi, I haven't really been keeping up with this
                    thread, but it seems you are overseas, UK, maybe??
                    Anyway I was looking a German outdoor supply store and
                    found a page with hammocks they sell.
                    http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/rubrik.php?&k_id=0503

                    I don't really understand what you are looking for but
                    maybe something here will do? This place has a lot of
                    interesting stuff. Bill

                    --- alidisaster <alastair.dent@...>
                    wrote:
                    > Phoning is impractical - as I only have a mobile,
                    > and don't want to
                    > use it to call the USA!
                    >
                    > At this rate, I'll just have to try 'making my own'.
                    > don't have time
                    > or facilities, tho' :-|
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com,
                    > "mindrehab248"
                    > <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > > No response to email - hope they haven't closed
                    > down or something.
                    > >
                    > > Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp.
                    > Sophia) might have
                    > some
                    > > ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.
                    > >
                    > > Patrick

                  • alidisaster
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 12, 2004
                      Ordinary hammocks aren't a problem - I have 3, 2 homemade. However,
                      they won't hang in the space avail.

                      The Treeboat is designed to fit into awkward places, and be more
                      stable. This is what I need.

                      Yup, I'm from the UK

                      People don't use hammocks for camping here, as most of the good
                      walking areas are pretty treeless.