Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: boat hammock

  • navjohn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      A traditional hammock-like nautical berth is called a "pipe berth." It's
      made using two longitudinal pieces of pipe with a canvas "bed" between them (like
      a cot). One pipe is attached to the side of the cabin, and the other pipe
      slides into holders at each end to keep the structure spread out. During the
      day, the movable side is released and folded up against the fixed side. The
      advantage of this system is that it only has to be as long as the berth itself.
      But it does have to be constructed in association with a bulkhead at each end,
      to give some support to the pipe, although you could hang the free side from
      the cabin ceiling with chain.
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
        alidisaster wrote:

        >I have a problem. I need to fit more beds in my boat, but can't
        >build in bunks. There isn't enough length to fit in normal hammocks,
        >but I do have a steel roof.

        A couple more ideas:

        A pipe berth:

        http://dmcleish.com/oceanplanet/pipeberth.html

        A root berth:

        A root berth is usually a wooden bar with a canvas rolled around it. The
        bar has a square at either end that can be dropped into a socket that
        stops it from turning.

        The outboard edge is simply a hunk of pipe slipped into a pouch sewn into
        the canvas.

        In operation the pipe drops into a set of slots.

        The root berth is simply unrolled to the desired sag the sleeper wishes
        and the pipe is dropped into a slot suitable for the sea state.

        In port it functions much like any single bunk, but in slop the extra
        canvas can be unrolled so the sleeper is in a sagging pouch , and the
        pipe end placed into a high slot to preclude rolling out.
      • butuki
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
          > Sooo . . .
          > I was wondering about making some hammocks using spreader bars. I
          > know these are usually frowned on because they are unstable.
          > However, I could put eye bolts through the roof, so that each end of
          > the spreader bar was suspended. Then the hammock couldn't tip over.

          Have you looked at New Tribe's ( http://www.newtribe.com/index.html ) Tree Boat?
          Their hammocks are designed to be used in trees and are just about gospel for tree
          climbers. They use spreader bars and a four-way hanging-line system. They cannot
          tip over (though I'm not sure if the lack of ability to swing would be what you are
          looking for in a boat).

          Anyway have a look. Might give you some inspiration.
        • alidisaster
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
            Ta very much for that - I've emailed them for details - their
            Treeboat is what I was thinking of making - if it will fit in my
            space, I'll buy one.

            > Have you looked at New Tribe's (
            http://www.newtribe.com/index.html ) Tree Boat?
            > Their hammocks are designed to be used in trees and are just about
            gospel for tree
            > climbers. They use spreader bars and a four-way hanging-line
            system. They cannot
            > tip over (though I'm not sure if the lack of ability to swing would
            be what you are
            > looking for in a boat).
            >
            > Anyway have a look. Might give you some inspiration.
          • mindrehab248
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
              <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
              > Ta very much for that - I've emailed them for details - their
              > Treeboat is what I was thinking of making - if it will fit in my
              > space, I'll buy one.

              Sorry if this was already asked, but how tall are you? Several people
              taller than 6' tall, myself included, have had some difficulty
              getting comfortable. YMMV. Very well built and New Tribe is a company
              that really works with you. Patrick
            • alidisaster
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 7, 2004
                I'm only 5'8". My main prob is lack of space for a conventional
                hammock - so thought their solution might fit in.

                From the web photos, their hammocks do look quite curved - not sure
                about the sleeping position.

                No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.

                If I don't get a response, I might show the photo to a friend who is
                good with a sewing machine, and ask her about making something
                similar. Would prefer a properly made one tho'.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mindrehab248"

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 7, 2004
                  > From the web photos, their hammocks do look quite curved - not sure
                  > about the sleeping position.

                  I know several people who are comfortable on their sides. Back
                  sleeping is apparently pretty good, too, especially if you put a
                  rolled up towel or a smallish pillow behind your knees.

                  > No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.

                  Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp. Sophia) might have some
                  ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.

                  Patrick
                • alidisaster
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 9, 2004
                    Phoning is impractical - as I only have a mobile, and don't want to
                    use it to call the USA!

                    At this rate, I'll just have to try 'making my own'. don't have time
                    or facilities, tho' :-|
                    <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:

                    > > No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.
                    >
                    > Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp. Sophia) might have
                    some
                    > ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.
                    >
                    > Patrick
                  • Bill Fornshell
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 9, 2004
                      Hi, I haven't really been keeping up with this
                      thread, but it seems you are overseas, UK, maybe??
                      Anyway I was looking a German outdoor supply store and
                      found a page with hammocks they sell.
                      http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/rubrik.php?&k_id=0503

                      I don't really understand what you are looking for but
                      maybe something here will do? This place has a lot of
                      interesting stuff. Bill

                      --- alidisaster <alastair.dent@...>
                      wrote:
                      > Phoning is impractical - as I only have a mobile,
                      > and don't want to
                      > use it to call the USA!
                      >
                      > At this rate, I'll just have to try 'making my own'.
                      > don't have time
                      > or facilities, tho' :-|
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com,
                      > "mindrehab248"
                      > <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > > No response to email - hope they haven't closed
                      > down or something.
                      > >
                      > > Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp.
                      > Sophia) might have
                      > some
                      > > ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.
                      > >
                      > > Patrick

                    • alidisaster
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 12, 2004
                        Ordinary hammocks aren't a problem - I have 3, 2 homemade. However,
                        they won't hang in the space avail.

                        The Treeboat is designed to fit into awkward places, and be more
                        stable. This is what I need.

                        Yup, I'm from the UK

                        People don't use hammocks for camping here, as most of the good
                        walking areas are pretty treeless.