Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: boat hammock

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      alidisaster wrote:

      >I live in a narrowboat - no hold, cockpit, mast etc. I think the sub-
      >zero temperatures out of the cabin might get me in trouble with
      >social services, if I banished him. lol
      >
      >Current bed is only 6 ft - like most boat beds. How do you sleep on
      >your boat?
      >
      >I've got a nice cotton hammock, with a cloth and rope section. Think
      >I will try attaching spreader bars to it and seeing if I can hang it
      >from some trees. Then when I have a working hammock, I'll put
      >eyebolts in the boat.

      I did a little search on narrowboats. I think I read an article on this
      form of cruising years ago, but had forgotten. Sorry for the joke
      earlier...

      I have two beds on the 22 foot Venture, now marketed as MacGreggor. One
      is the table laid down. The other is under the foredeck. We usually
      sleep under the foredeck so we do not need to put the table up and
      down. The beds are 6 feet, as you say, and I am constantly pressing my
      toes against the bottom, while my head presses against the top... Not
      really comfortable.

      I do believe your iterative solution may be best. You can decrease the
      necessary length some with use of a spreader bar. It will also be
      useful to hang the foot end higher to reduce the tendency of the bottom
      to move to the middle of the hammock, wasting a foot or more of space at
      the head end.

      If it were my experiment, I would use a mounted stout spreader about
      18-24 inches wide at the head and at least 18 inches down from the
      roof. I'd use hammock material 4 feet wide, and use a standard Speer
      knot in the material at the foot end, suspending it about 8 inches
      higher than the head end. With that set up, I think I could fit a
      hammock that fits my 6 foot frame into a 7 foot space. A hammock for a
      five footer could fit in a 6 foot space.

      Let us know how you do. I will be interested.

      Rick
    • navjohn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
        A traditional hammock-like nautical berth is called a "pipe berth." It's
        made using two longitudinal pieces of pipe with a canvas "bed" between them (like
        a cot). One pipe is attached to the side of the cabin, and the other pipe
        slides into holders at each end to keep the structure spread out. During the
        day, the movable side is released and folded up against the fixed side. The
        advantage of this system is that it only has to be as long as the berth itself.
        But it does have to be constructed in association with a bulkhead at each end,
        to give some support to the pipe, although you could hang the free side from
        the cabin ceiling with chain.
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
          alidisaster wrote:

          >I have a problem. I need to fit more beds in my boat, but can't
          >build in bunks. There isn't enough length to fit in normal hammocks,
          >but I do have a steel roof.

          A couple more ideas:

          A pipe berth:

          http://dmcleish.com/oceanplanet/pipeberth.html

          A root berth:

          A root berth is usually a wooden bar with a canvas rolled around it. The
          bar has a square at either end that can be dropped into a socket that
          stops it from turning.

          The outboard edge is simply a hunk of pipe slipped into a pouch sewn into
          the canvas.

          In operation the pipe drops into a set of slots.

          The root berth is simply unrolled to the desired sag the sleeper wishes
          and the pipe is dropped into a slot suitable for the sea state.

          In port it functions much like any single bunk, but in slop the extra
          canvas can be unrolled so the sleeper is in a sagging pouch , and the
          pipe end placed into a high slot to preclude rolling out.
        • butuki
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
            > Sooo . . .
            > I was wondering about making some hammocks using spreader bars. I
            > know these are usually frowned on because they are unstable.
            > However, I could put eye bolts through the roof, so that each end of
            > the spreader bar was suspended. Then the hammock couldn't tip over.

            Have you looked at New Tribe's ( http://www.newtribe.com/index.html ) Tree Boat?
            Their hammocks are designed to be used in trees and are just about gospel for tree
            climbers. They use spreader bars and a four-way hanging-line system. They cannot
            tip over (though I'm not sure if the lack of ability to swing would be what you are
            looking for in a boat).

            Anyway have a look. Might give you some inspiration.
          • alidisaster
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
              Ta very much for that - I've emailed them for details - their
              Treeboat is what I was thinking of making - if it will fit in my
              space, I'll buy one.

              > Have you looked at New Tribe's (
              http://www.newtribe.com/index.html ) Tree Boat?
              > Their hammocks are designed to be used in trees and are just about
              gospel for tree
              > climbers. They use spreader bars and a four-way hanging-line
              system. They cannot
              > tip over (though I'm not sure if the lack of ability to swing would
              be what you are
              > looking for in a boat).
              >
              > Anyway have a look. Might give you some inspiration.
            • mindrehab248
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
                <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                > Ta very much for that - I've emailed them for details - their
                > Treeboat is what I was thinking of making - if it will fit in my
                > space, I'll buy one.

                Sorry if this was already asked, but how tall are you? Several people
                taller than 6' tall, myself included, have had some difficulty
                getting comfortable. YMMV. Very well built and New Tribe is a company
                that really works with you. Patrick
              • alidisaster
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 7, 2004
                  I'm only 5'8". My main prob is lack of space for a conventional
                  hammock - so thought their solution might fit in.

                  From the web photos, their hammocks do look quite curved - not sure
                  about the sleeping position.

                  No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.

                  If I don't get a response, I might show the photo to a friend who is
                  good with a sewing machine, and ask her about making something
                  similar. Would prefer a properly made one tho'.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mindrehab248"

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 7, 2004
                    > From the web photos, their hammocks do look quite curved - not sure
                    > about the sleeping position.

                    I know several people who are comfortable on their sides. Back
                    sleeping is apparently pretty good, too, especially if you put a
                    rolled up towel or a smallish pillow behind your knees.

                    > No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.

                    Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp. Sophia) might have some
                    ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.

                    Patrick
                  • alidisaster
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 9, 2004
                      Phoning is impractical - as I only have a mobile, and don't want to
                      use it to call the USA!

                      At this rate, I'll just have to try 'making my own'. don't have time
                      or facilities, tho' :-|
                      <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:

                      > > No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.
                      >
                      > Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp. Sophia) might have
                      some
                      > ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.
                      >
                      > Patrick
                    • Bill Fornshell
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 9, 2004
                        Hi, I haven't really been keeping up with this
                        thread, but it seems you are overseas, UK, maybe??
                        Anyway I was looking a German outdoor supply store and
                        found a page with hammocks they sell.
                        http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/rubrik.php?&k_id=0503

                        I don't really understand what you are looking for but
                        maybe something here will do? This place has a lot of
                        interesting stuff. Bill

                        --- alidisaster <alastair.dent@...>
                        wrote:
                        > Phoning is impractical - as I only have a mobile,
                        > and don't want to
                        > use it to call the USA!
                        >
                        > At this rate, I'll just have to try 'making my own'.
                        > don't have time
                        > or facilities, tho' :-|
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com,
                        > "mindrehab248"
                        > <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > > No response to email - hope they haven't closed
                        > down or something.
                        > >
                        > > Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp.
                        > Sophia) might have
                        > some
                        > > ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.
                        > >
                        > > Patrick

                      • alidisaster
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 12, 2004
                          Ordinary hammocks aren't a problem - I have 3, 2 homemade. However,
                          they won't hang in the space avail.

                          The Treeboat is designed to fit into awkward places, and be more
                          stable. This is what I need.

                          Yup, I'm from the UK

                          People don't use hammocks for camping here, as most of the good
                          walking areas are pretty treeless.