[Hammock Camping] Re: boat hammock

  • alidisaster
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      I live in a narrowboat - no hold, cockpit, mast etc. I think the sub-
      zero temperatures out of the cabin might get me in trouble with
      social services, if I banished him. lol

      Current bed is only 6 ft - like most boat beds. How do you sleep on
      your boat?

      I've got a nice cotton hammock, with a cloth and rope section. Think
      I will try attaching spreader bars to it and seeing if I can hang it
      from some trees. Then when I have a working hammock, I'll put
      eyebolts in the boat.

    • Bror8588@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
        In a message dated 12/1/03 11:34:29 Eastern Standard Time, ra1@... writes:

        I have considered hanging a hammock between the mast and the backstay of my 22
        foot sail boat - or perhaps from the boom.  However, I decided that was too
        crazy for even me.

        Rick

        I think a hammock hung from the Backstay to the mainstay would work. The boom should be tied off to the opposite side and secured.  Be sure to remember to enter and exit on the cockpit side of the Hammock unless you want to wake up quick with a swim.

        Skylander
      • Chet Clocksin
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
          I've done this on my 30 footer, but I hang my Speer hammock between the forestay and the mainstay. I've also hung a smaller rope hammock between the mast and forestay. It is the ultimate in relaxation!

          Chet

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
            alidisaster wrote:

            >I live in a narrowboat - no hold, cockpit, mast etc. I think the sub-
            >zero temperatures out of the cabin might get me in trouble with
            >social services, if I banished him. lol
            >
            >Current bed is only 6 ft - like most boat beds. How do you sleep on
            >your boat?
            >
            >I've got a nice cotton hammock, with a cloth and rope section. Think
            >I will try attaching spreader bars to it and seeing if I can hang it
            >from some trees. Then when I have a working hammock, I'll put
            >eyebolts in the boat.

            I did a little search on narrowboats. I think I read an article on this
            form of cruising years ago, but had forgotten. Sorry for the joke
            earlier...

            I have two beds on the 22 foot Venture, now marketed as MacGreggor. One
            is the table laid down. The other is under the foredeck. We usually
            sleep under the foredeck so we do not need to put the table up and
            down. The beds are 6 feet, as you say, and I am constantly pressing my
            toes against the bottom, while my head presses against the top... Not
            really comfortable.

            I do believe your iterative solution may be best. You can decrease the
            necessary length some with use of a spreader bar. It will also be
            useful to hang the foot end higher to reduce the tendency of the bottom
            to move to the middle of the hammock, wasting a foot or more of space at
            the head end.

            If it were my experiment, I would use a mounted stout spreader about
            18-24 inches wide at the head and at least 18 inches down from the
            roof. I'd use hammock material 4 feet wide, and use a standard Speer
            knot in the material at the foot end, suspending it about 8 inches
            higher than the head end. With that set up, I think I could fit a
            hammock that fits my 6 foot frame into a 7 foot space. A hammock for a
            five footer could fit in a 6 foot space.

            Let us know how you do. I will be interested.

            Rick
          • navjohn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
              A traditional hammock-like nautical berth is called a "pipe berth." It's
              made using two longitudinal pieces of pipe with a canvas "bed" between them (like
              a cot). One pipe is attached to the side of the cabin, and the other pipe
              slides into holders at each end to keep the structure spread out. During the
              day, the movable side is released and folded up against the fixed side. The
              advantage of this system is that it only has to be as long as the berth itself.
              But it does have to be constructed in association with a bulkhead at each end,
              to give some support to the pipe, although you could hang the free side from
              the cabin ceiling with chain.
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
                alidisaster wrote:

                >I have a problem. I need to fit more beds in my boat, but can't
                >build in bunks. There isn't enough length to fit in normal hammocks,
                >but I do have a steel roof.

                A couple more ideas:

                A pipe berth:

                http://dmcleish.com/oceanplanet/pipeberth.html

                A root berth:

                A root berth is usually a wooden bar with a canvas rolled around it. The
                bar has a square at either end that can be dropped into a socket that
                stops it from turning.

                The outboard edge is simply a hunk of pipe slipped into a pouch sewn into
                the canvas.

                In operation the pipe drops into a set of slots.

                The root berth is simply unrolled to the desired sag the sleeper wishes
                and the pipe is dropped into a slot suitable for the sea state.

                In port it functions much like any single bunk, but in slop the extra
                canvas can be unrolled so the sleeper is in a sagging pouch , and the
                pipe end placed into a high slot to preclude rolling out.
              • butuki
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
                  > Sooo . . .
                  > I was wondering about making some hammocks using spreader bars. I
                  > know these are usually frowned on because they are unstable.
                  > However, I could put eye bolts through the roof, so that each end of
                  > the spreader bar was suspended. Then the hammock couldn't tip over.

                  Have you looked at New Tribe's ( http://www.newtribe.com/index.html ) Tree Boat?
                  Their hammocks are designed to be used in trees and are just about gospel for tree
                  climbers. They use spreader bars and a four-way hanging-line system. They cannot
                  tip over (though I'm not sure if the lack of ability to swing would be what you are
                  looking for in a boat).

                  Anyway have a look. Might give you some inspiration.
                • alidisaster
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                    Ta very much for that - I've emailed them for details - their
                    Treeboat is what I was thinking of making - if it will fit in my
                    space, I'll buy one.

                    > Have you looked at New Tribe's (
                    http://www.newtribe.com/index.html ) Tree Boat?
                    > Their hammocks are designed to be used in trees and are just about
                    gospel for tree
                    > climbers. They use spreader bars and a four-way hanging-line
                    system. They cannot
                    > tip over (though I'm not sure if the lack of ability to swing would
                    be what you are
                    > looking for in a boat).
                    >
                    > Anyway have a look. Might give you some inspiration.
                  • mindrehab248
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
                      <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                      > Ta very much for that - I've emailed them for details - their
                      > Treeboat is what I was thinking of making - if it will fit in my
                      > space, I'll buy one.

                      Sorry if this was already asked, but how tall are you? Several people
                      taller than 6' tall, myself included, have had some difficulty
                      getting comfortable. YMMV. Very well built and New Tribe is a company
                      that really works with you. Patrick
                    • alidisaster
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 7, 2004
                        I'm only 5'8". My main prob is lack of space for a conventional
                        hammock - so thought their solution might fit in.

                        From the web photos, their hammocks do look quite curved - not sure
                        about the sleeping position.

                        No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.

                        If I don't get a response, I might show the photo to a friend who is
                        good with a sewing machine, and ask her about making something
                        similar. Would prefer a properly made one tho'.

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mindrehab248"

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 7, 2004
                          > From the web photos, their hammocks do look quite curved - not sure
                          > about the sleeping position.

                          I know several people who are comfortable on their sides. Back
                          sleeping is apparently pretty good, too, especially if you put a
                          rolled up towel or a smallish pillow behind your knees.

                          > No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.

                          Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp. Sophia) might have some
                          ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.

                          Patrick
                        • alidisaster
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 9, 2004
                            Phoning is impractical - as I only have a mobile, and don't want to
                            use it to call the USA!

                            At this rate, I'll just have to try 'making my own'. don't have time
                            or facilities, tho' :-|
                            <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:

                            > > No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.
                            >
                            > Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp. Sophia) might have
                            some
                            > ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.
                            >
                            > Patrick
                          • Bill Fornshell
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 9, 2004
                              Hi, I haven't really been keeping up with this
                              thread, but it seems you are overseas, UK, maybe??
                              Anyway I was looking a German outdoor supply store and
                              found a page with hammocks they sell.
                              http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/rubrik.php?&k_id=0503

                              I don't really understand what you are looking for but
                              maybe something here will do? This place has a lot of
                              interesting stuff. Bill

                              --- alidisaster <alastair.dent@...>
                              wrote:
                              > Phoning is impractical - as I only have a mobile,
                              > and don't want to
                              > use it to call the USA!
                              >
                              > At this rate, I'll just have to try 'making my own'.
                              > don't have time
                              > or facilities, tho' :-|
                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com,
                              > "mindrehab248"
                              > <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > > No response to email - hope they haven't closed
                              > down or something.
                              > >
                              > > Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp.
                              > Sophia) might have
                              > some
                              > > ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.
                              > >
                              > > Patrick

                            • alidisaster
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 12, 2004
                                Ordinary hammocks aren't a problem - I have 3, 2 homemade. However,
                                they won't hang in the space avail.

                                The Treeboat is designed to fit into awkward places, and be more
                                stable. This is what I need.

                                Yup, I'm from the UK

                                People don't use hammocks for camping here, as most of the good
                                walking areas are pretty treeless.