TearInMosquitoNetting

  • canoetrip_2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
      It's official: The kids are now banned from the HH. I think it was
      my niece, who is like a Mexican Jumping Bean, and I was trying to be
      a nice auntie....

      Anyway, there's a small tear, about the size of a quarter, in the
      mosquito netting of my beloved HH, a couple of inches away from any
      seams, meaning, right in the middle of the fabric. I slept in it
      last night, temps in the mid 40's, LOVE that Neat Sheet.

      What is the best way to repair a hole like that? I DO NOT SEW WELL.
      Should I get a piece of no-see-um as close to that as possible (I
      have an old tarptent thing) and try to match it? I have one of those
      generic repair kits but the netting square is not no-see um and
      would stand out like a sore finger. Or is there enough flexibility
      in the netting that I could just get a small needle and dark thread
      and sew it up? Maybe this sounds silly to people used to this kind
      of thing, but I am not...
      Thanks!
      Marsanne
    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
        Needle and thread will work. Better is a zigzag stitch with a machine about 3
        mm wide and 1 mm long. If all the material is still there, a patch is probably
        not necessary.

        When I heard about the child playing in the hammock, I wondered how it might
        turn out.

        Rick

        Quoting canoetrip_2000 <firefly@...>:

        > It's official: The kids are now banned from the HH.
      • firefly
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003

          All material still there. Mom fixed it. I learned a lesson about energetic 7 year olds and where they belong and DON’T belong. But it’s clear she’s got that Serious Outdoor Gene, and am thinking of snitching her for a vacation in a couple of years to help her direct that wonderful energy and otherwise corrupt her young mind. Get her away from Barbie Radio, etc…

          Kim, sorry you got cold. We will talk soon.

          Marsanne

          Needle and thread will work.  Better is a zigzag stitch with a machine about 3
          mm wide and 1 mm long.  If all the material is still there, a patch is probably
          not necessary.

          When I heard about the child playing in the hammock, I wondered how it might
          turn out.

          Rick

          Quoting canoetrip_2000 <firefly@...>:

          > It's official: The kids are now banned from the HH.

        • robi dawson
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003
            As the father of a 7 year old, a 10 year old to be and an 11 year old i say take here out now and corrupt her! make sure she learns to love nature before barbie radio gets to her --- what is that BTW?

            robi

            At 04:08 PM 12/1/03 -0600, you wrote:

            All material still there. Mom fixed it. I learned a lesson about energetic 7 year olds and where they belong and DON T belong. But it s clear she s got that Serious Outdoor Gene, and am thinking of snitching her for a vacation in a couple of years to help her direct that wonderful energy and otherwise corrupt her young mind. Get her away from Barbie Radio, etc&

            Kim, sorry you got cold. We will talk soon.

            Marsanne

            Needle and thread will work.  Better is a zigzag stitch with a machine about 3
            mm wide and 1 mm long.  If all the material is still there, a patch is probably
            not necessary.

            When I heard about the child playing in the hammock, I wondered how it might
            turn out.

            Rick

            Quoting canoetrip_2000 <firefly@...>:

            > It's official: The kids are now banned from the HH.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            bb324.jpg
            bb3f2.jpg

          • firefly
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2003

              Robi,

              I totally agree, but she’s my niece, not my daughter, she lives 250 miles away, and I am probably about to move even farther away because of a job (or jobs) I expect to be offered. When I get settled, I will look into getting her on a plane with me and going to Colorado or the Grand Canyon or some other magnificent place that will make her forget all about Barbie, etc.  I was making a joke about Barbie Radio. It’s a girl’s alarm clock that plays a jingle that sings “This is Barbie Radio”.  Once when I spent the night in her room while visiting my brother, over a holiday, it came on at 6am and I didn’t know how to turn it off.  She is obsessed with all things Barbie. I was not that kind of kid…

              Back to something resembling a topic…I am the eldest of 5 children and our father, who is now in a nursing home, taught each of us to love the outdoors. We have inherited family farmland and we had a cabin there when I was growing up. My youngest brother and his son go hunting there. The more kids are outdoors, the better, in my opinion. I would really like to get my niece a camping hammock but I think she would tear it up. I am going to wait until I have her on a camping trip and can teach her how to sleep in it without turning it into a swing set.

              Marsanne

              .