Re: boat hammock

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
      Sounds OK but will be more of a cot than a hammock. The material
      will not support as much of your body as a true hammocks and thus
      fell harder. But sometimes you have to play with the hand you've
      been dealt. Good Luck.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"

    • ra1@imrisk.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
        Al,

        How much room do you have? I keep coming back in my mind to those hammocks in
        the first scenes of "Master and Commander".

        The inexpensive travel hammock may be able to be held up by an eyebolt to which
        you attach a carabiner at either end. If you have 9 feet of space, you should
        be able to hang any of the Speer like hammocks with minimal webbing length on
        either end.

        Of course, you have already thought about hanging the hammock across the
        diagonal instead of straight across.

        As for using blanket material, it may not have the strength of ripstop and begin
        to sag badly when you put your weight in it.

        Rick

        Quoting Coy <starnescr@...>:

        > Sounds OK but will be more of a cot than a hammock. The material
        > will not support as much of your body as a true hammocks and thus
        > fell harder. But sometimes you have to play with the hand you've
        > been dealt. Good Luck.
        >
        > Coy Boy
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
        > <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
        > > I have a problem. I need to fit more beds in my boat, but can't
        > > build in bunks. There isn't enough length to fit in normal
        > hammocks,
        > > but I do have a steel roof.
        > >
        > > Sooo . . .
        > > I was wondering about making some hammocks using spreader bars. I
        > > know these are usually frowned on because they are unstable.
        > > However, I could put eye bolts through the roof, so that each end
        > of
        > > the spreader bar was suspended. Then the hammock couldn't tip
        > over.
        > >
        > > I was thinking of using blanket material for the hammock,
        > doubled.
        > > then attaching it to the bars via a lacing, so I could adjust the
        > > side and centre tension.
        > >
        > > Anyone ever constructed anything similar, or have any
        > suggestions?
        > > How long would a hammock have to be with spreader bars; i.e., how
        > > much longer than the sleeper?
        > >
        > > Cheers
        > > Al

      • alidisaster
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
          I have about 7 ft - hence the thought about using spreader bars. The
          hammock only needs to fit my son - though it would be great if I
          could fit in it!

          When touring the replica of the Endeavour, I saw the hammocks used by
          the sailors. Officers got fancier models with spreaders. Think they
          used a canvas material.

          I was also thinking; the spreader bars could be curved - so that they
          are holding the ends of the hammock in the curve that a normal
          hammock would have - just doing without that last foot or so of
          fabric at either end.

          I did wonder if the blanket material would be too loose and stretchy -
          seems you guys thought the same.

        • ra1@imrisk.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
            Quoting alidisaster <alastair.dent@...>:

            > I have about 7 ft - hence the thought about using spreader bars. The
            > hammock only needs to fit my son - though it would be great if I
            > could fit in it!
            >
            > When touring the replica of the Endeavour, I saw the hammocks used by
            > the sailors. Officers got fancier models with spreaders. Think they
            > used a canvas material.

            Hmm,

            I can barely sleep in a bed 7 feet long. Two choices: Give him a hammock and
            have him camp on an island until you return someday, or tie him up and throw him
            in the hold. Well, if he is a good kid, let him sleep in the cockpit in a bivy bag.

            I have considered hanging a hammock between the mast and the backstay of my 22
            foot sail boat - or perhaps from the boom. However, I decided that was too
            crazy for even me.

          • alidisaster
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
              I live in a narrowboat - no hold, cockpit, mast etc. I think the sub-
              zero temperatures out of the cabin might get me in trouble with
              social services, if I banished him. lol

              Current bed is only 6 ft - like most boat beds. How do you sleep on
              your boat?

              I've got a nice cotton hammock, with a cloth and rope section. Think
              I will try attaching spreader bars to it and seeing if I can hang it
              from some trees. Then when I have a working hammock, I'll put
              eyebolts in the boat.

            • Bror8588@AOL.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
                In a message dated 12/1/03 11:34:29 Eastern Standard Time, ra1@... writes:

                I have considered hanging a hammock between the mast and the backstay of my 22
                foot sail boat - or perhaps from the boom.  However, I decided that was too
                crazy for even me.

                Rick

                I think a hammock hung from the Backstay to the mainstay would work. The boom should be tied off to the opposite side and secured.  Be sure to remember to enter and exit on the cockpit side of the Hammock unless you want to wake up quick with a swim.

                Skylander
              • Chet Clocksin
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
                  I've done this on my 30 footer, but I hang my Speer hammock between the forestay and the mainstay. I've also hung a smaller rope hammock between the mast and forestay. It is the ultimate in relaxation!

                  Chet

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
                    alidisaster wrote:

                    >I live in a narrowboat - no hold, cockpit, mast etc. I think the sub-
                    >zero temperatures out of the cabin might get me in trouble with
                    >social services, if I banished him. lol
                    >
                    >Current bed is only 6 ft - like most boat beds. How do you sleep on
                    >your boat?
                    >
                    >I've got a nice cotton hammock, with a cloth and rope section. Think
                    >I will try attaching spreader bars to it and seeing if I can hang it
                    >from some trees. Then when I have a working hammock, I'll put
                    >eyebolts in the boat.

                    I did a little search on narrowboats. I think I read an article on this
                    form of cruising years ago, but had forgotten. Sorry for the joke
                    earlier...

                    I have two beds on the 22 foot Venture, now marketed as MacGreggor. One
                    is the table laid down. The other is under the foredeck. We usually
                    sleep under the foredeck so we do not need to put the table up and
                    down. The beds are 6 feet, as you say, and I am constantly pressing my
                    toes against the bottom, while my head presses against the top... Not
                    really comfortable.

                    I do believe your iterative solution may be best. You can decrease the
                    necessary length some with use of a spreader bar. It will also be
                    useful to hang the foot end higher to reduce the tendency of the bottom
                    to move to the middle of the hammock, wasting a foot or more of space at
                    the head end.

                    If it were my experiment, I would use a mounted stout spreader about
                    18-24 inches wide at the head and at least 18 inches down from the
                    roof. I'd use hammock material 4 feet wide, and use a standard Speer
                    knot in the material at the foot end, suspending it about 8 inches
                    higher than the head end. With that set up, I think I could fit a
                    hammock that fits my 6 foot frame into a 7 foot space. A hammock for a
                    five footer could fit in a 6 foot space.

                    Let us know how you do. I will be interested.

                    Rick
                  • navjohn@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
                      A traditional hammock-like nautical berth is called a "pipe berth." It's
                      made using two longitudinal pieces of pipe with a canvas "bed" between them (like
                      a cot). One pipe is attached to the side of the cabin, and the other pipe
                      slides into holders at each end to keep the structure spread out. During the
                      day, the movable side is released and folded up against the fixed side. The
                      advantage of this system is that it only has to be as long as the berth itself.
                      But it does have to be constructed in association with a bulkhead at each end,
                      to give some support to the pipe, although you could hang the free side from
                      the cabin ceiling with chain.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 1, 2003
                        alidisaster wrote:

                        >I have a problem. I need to fit more beds in my boat, but can't
                        >build in bunks. There isn't enough length to fit in normal hammocks,
                        >but I do have a steel roof.

                        A couple more ideas:

                        A pipe berth:

                        http://dmcleish.com/oceanplanet/pipeberth.html

                        A root berth:

                        A root berth is usually a wooden bar with a canvas rolled around it. The
                        bar has a square at either end that can be dropped into a socket that
                        stops it from turning.

                        The outboard edge is simply a hunk of pipe slipped into a pouch sewn into
                        the canvas.

                        In operation the pipe drops into a set of slots.

                        The root berth is simply unrolled to the desired sag the sleeper wishes
                        and the pipe is dropped into a slot suitable for the sea state.

                        In port it functions much like any single bunk, but in slop the extra
                        canvas can be unrolled so the sleeper is in a sagging pouch , and the
                        pipe end placed into a high slot to preclude rolling out.
                      • butuki
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 3, 2004
                          > Sooo . . .
                          > I was wondering about making some hammocks using spreader bars. I
                          > know these are usually frowned on because they are unstable.
                          > However, I could put eye bolts through the roof, so that each end of
                          > the spreader bar was suspended. Then the hammock couldn't tip over.

                          Have you looked at New Tribe's ( http://www.newtribe.com/index.html ) Tree Boat?
                          Their hammocks are designed to be used in trees and are just about gospel for tree
                          climbers. They use spreader bars and a four-way hanging-line system. They cannot
                          tip over (though I'm not sure if the lack of ability to swing would be what you are
                          looking for in a boat).

                          Anyway have a look. Might give you some inspiration.
                        • alidisaster
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                            Ta very much for that - I've emailed them for details - their
                            Treeboat is what I was thinking of making - if it will fit in my
                            space, I'll buy one.

                            > Have you looked at New Tribe's (
                            http://www.newtribe.com/index.html ) Tree Boat?
                            > Their hammocks are designed to be used in trees and are just about
                            gospel for tree
                            > climbers. They use spreader bars and a four-way hanging-line
                            system. They cannot
                            > tip over (though I'm not sure if the lack of ability to swing would
                            be what you are
                            > looking for in a boat).
                            >
                            > Anyway have a look. Might give you some inspiration.
                          • mindrehab248
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 6, 2004
                              <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
                              > Ta very much for that - I've emailed them for details - their
                              > Treeboat is what I was thinking of making - if it will fit in my
                              > space, I'll buy one.

                              Sorry if this was already asked, but how tall are you? Several people
                              taller than 6' tall, myself included, have had some difficulty
                              getting comfortable. YMMV. Very well built and New Tribe is a company
                              that really works with you. Patrick
                            • alidisaster
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 7, 2004
                                I'm only 5'8". My main prob is lack of space for a conventional
                                hammock - so thought their solution might fit in.

                                From the web photos, their hammocks do look quite curved - not sure
                                about the sleeping position.

                                No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.

                                If I don't get a response, I might show the photo to a friend who is
                                good with a sewing machine, and ask her about making something
                                similar. Would prefer a properly made one tho'.

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mindrehab248"

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 7, 2004
                                  > From the web photos, their hammocks do look quite curved - not sure
                                  > about the sleeping position.

                                  I know several people who are comfortable on their sides. Back
                                  sleeping is apparently pretty good, too, especially if you put a
                                  rolled up towel or a smallish pillow behind your knees.

                                  > No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.

                                  Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp. Sophia) might have some
                                  ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.

                                  Patrick
                                • alidisaster
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 9, 2004
                                    Phoning is impractical - as I only have a mobile, and don't want to
                                    use it to call the USA!

                                    At this rate, I'll just have to try 'making my own'. don't have time
                                    or facilities, tho' :-|
                                    <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:

                                    > > No response to email - hope they haven't closed down or something.
                                    >
                                    > Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp. Sophia) might have
                                    some
                                    > ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.
                                    >
                                    > Patrick
                                  • Bill Fornshell
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 9, 2004
                                      Hi, I haven't really been keeping up with this
                                      thread, but it seems you are overseas, UK, maybe??
                                      Anyway I was looking a German outdoor supply store and
                                      found a page with hammocks they sell.
                                      http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/rubrik.php?&k_id=0503

                                      I don't really understand what you are looking for but
                                      maybe something here will do? This place has a lot of
                                      interesting stuff. Bill

                                      --- alidisaster <alastair.dent@...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > Phoning is impractical - as I only have a mobile,
                                      > and don't want to
                                      > use it to call the USA!
                                      >
                                      > At this rate, I'll just have to try 'making my own'.
                                      > don't have time
                                      > or facilities, tho' :-|
                                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com,
                                      > "mindrehab248"
                                      > <mindrehab248@y...> wrote:
                                      >

                                      > > > No response to email - hope they haven't closed
                                      > down or something.
                                      > >
                                      > > Try calling them. 1-866-223-3371 They (esp.
                                      > Sophia) might have
                                      > some
                                      > > ideas to help keep it stabilized, too.
                                      > >
                                      > > Patrick

                                    • alidisaster
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 12, 2004
                                        Ordinary hammocks aren't a problem - I have 3, 2 homemade. However,
                                        they won't hang in the space avail.

                                        The Treeboat is designed to fit into awkward places, and be more
                                        stable. This is what I need.

                                        Yup, I'm from the UK

                                        People don't use hammocks for camping here, as most of the good
                                        walking areas are pretty treeless.