Re: [Hammock Camping] Not a banana (starting out)

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
      Most hammocks have a sweet spot, the position that gets you
      flattest. Some more than others. A Crazy Crib probably dont have
      much of one while a HH A-sym pretty much picks it for you.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Aguilera"
      <cwalpole@l...> wrote:
      > Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the
      feet? I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard
      time deciding which one to go with.

      > Chris

      Service.
    • subypower
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
        well chris i use a HH expidition asym, and love it

        the reasons i like it are :

        i move a lot during the night and i think it has more room than a
        speer

        i like the bottom entry for bug reasons, it is fast and no bugs get
        in as well ( bad bugs where i live ... MD )

        i like the bug net in the winter too it does help hold a little heat

        it is cheaper than almost all the other hammocks

        what i dont like are (HH):

        well i drew a blank

        i have tried a speer but not slept in it and my opinions are :

        i think it is a little narrower and i feel more confined in it

        i do like the top entry but i think i can do the HH entry just as fast

        i like the idea of the peapod bag

        and the larger fly of the speer is nice but the HH has kept me dry,
        but i am planning on a larger fly ( one side of a hex fly ) for use
        when outside the hammock

        the best thing i can say is get in both and look at em to see what
        you think, you could make a speer type hammock for a comfort test for
        10 bucks ( not for long term use or even for a week )

        if you ask i am sure there is a tree hanger near you some where that
        would let you take a nap

        white knight
      • Chris Aguilera
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
          Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as white knight puts it below?  I'd be interested in looking at any and all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

          Thanks,

          Chris

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
            Chris Aguilera wrote:

            > Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as
            > white knight puts it below? I'd be interested in looking at any and
            > all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

            Hey Chris,

            Near being a relative term I am in Bakersfield California and would be
            happy to help you out if'n by near you mean the same state. (At least
            I'm a lot closer than them East Coasters!!!)

            I have a couple of spear type hammocks a Bana Travel hammock and I can
            get my hands on at least one and maybe two Hennessey hammocks with a
            little bit of notice.

            Tom
            Pura Vida