Re: [Hammock Camping] Not a banana (starting out)

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
      Chris Aguilera wrote:
      Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the feet?  I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with.
      Hi Chris,

      The Speer and the HH both have a nice place for the feet on either side of the middle.  I have no experience with the Crazy Crib or the Clark to say.  I am sure someone here does.

      Rick

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
        Most hammocks have a sweet spot, the position that gets you
        flattest. Some more than others. A Crazy Crib probably dont have
        much of one while a HH A-sym pretty much picks it for you.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Aguilera"
        <cwalpole@l...> wrote:
        > Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the
        feet? I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard
        time deciding which one to go with.

        > Chris

        Service.
      • subypower
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
          well chris i use a HH expidition asym, and love it

          the reasons i like it are :

          i move a lot during the night and i think it has more room than a
          speer

          i like the bottom entry for bug reasons, it is fast and no bugs get
          in as well ( bad bugs where i live ... MD )

          i like the bug net in the winter too it does help hold a little heat

          it is cheaper than almost all the other hammocks

          what i dont like are (HH):

          well i drew a blank

          i have tried a speer but not slept in it and my opinions are :

          i think it is a little narrower and i feel more confined in it

          i do like the top entry but i think i can do the HH entry just as fast

          i like the idea of the peapod bag

          and the larger fly of the speer is nice but the HH has kept me dry,
          but i am planning on a larger fly ( one side of a hex fly ) for use
          when outside the hammock

          the best thing i can say is get in both and look at em to see what
          you think, you could make a speer type hammock for a comfort test for
          10 bucks ( not for long term use or even for a week )

          if you ask i am sure there is a tree hanger near you some where that
          would let you take a nap

          white knight
        • Chris Aguilera
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
            Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as white knight puts it below?  I'd be interested in looking at any and all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

            Thanks,

            Chris

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
              Chris Aguilera wrote:

              > Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as
              > white knight puts it below? I'd be interested in looking at any and
              > all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

              Hey Chris,

              Near being a relative term I am in Bakersfield California and would be
              happy to help you out if'n by near you mean the same state. (At least
              I'm a lot closer than them East Coasters!!!)

              I have a couple of spear type hammocks a Bana Travel hammock and I can
              get my hands on at least one and maybe two Hennessey hammocks with a
              little bit of notice.

              Tom
              Pura Vida