Re: [Hammock Camping] Not a banana (starting out)

  • Chris Aguilera
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2003
      Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the feet?  I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with.

      Chris
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
        Chris Aguilera wrote:
        Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the feet?  I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with.
        Hi Chris,

        The Speer and the HH both have a nice place for the feet on either side of the middle.  I have no experience with the Crazy Crib or the Clark to say.  I am sure someone here does.

        Rick

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
          Most hammocks have a sweet spot, the position that gets you
          flattest. Some more than others. A Crazy Crib probably dont have
          much of one while a HH A-sym pretty much picks it for you.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Aguilera"
          <cwalpole@l...> wrote:
          > Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the
          feet? I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard
          time deciding which one to go with.

          > Chris

          Service.
        • subypower
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
            well chris i use a HH expidition asym, and love it

            the reasons i like it are :

            i move a lot during the night and i think it has more room than a
            speer

            i like the bottom entry for bug reasons, it is fast and no bugs get
            in as well ( bad bugs where i live ... MD )

            i like the bug net in the winter too it does help hold a little heat

            it is cheaper than almost all the other hammocks

            what i dont like are (HH):

            well i drew a blank

            i have tried a speer but not slept in it and my opinions are :

            i think it is a little narrower and i feel more confined in it

            i do like the top entry but i think i can do the HH entry just as fast

            i like the idea of the peapod bag

            and the larger fly of the speer is nice but the HH has kept me dry,
            but i am planning on a larger fly ( one side of a hex fly ) for use
            when outside the hammock

            the best thing i can say is get in both and look at em to see what
            you think, you could make a speer type hammock for a comfort test for
            10 bucks ( not for long term use or even for a week )

            if you ask i am sure there is a tree hanger near you some where that
            would let you take a nap

            white knight
          • Chris Aguilera
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
              Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as white knight puts it below?  I'd be interested in looking at any and all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

              Thanks,

              Chris

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
                Chris Aguilera wrote:

                > Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as
                > white knight puts it below? I'd be interested in looking at any and
                > all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

                Hey Chris,

                Near being a relative term I am in Bakersfield California and would be
                happy to help you out if'n by near you mean the same state. (At least
                I'm a lot closer than them East Coasters!!!)

                I have a couple of spear type hammocks a Bana Travel hammock and I can
                get my hands on at least one and maybe two Hennessey hammocks with a
                little bit of notice.

                Tom
                Pura Vida