Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: piece of mind was travelpod and balaclava

  • Chris Aguilera
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
      What kind of pack are you using?

      Chris
      -----Original Message-----
      From: subypower <a9144me@...>
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Saturday, November 29, 2003 7:39 PM
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: piece of mind was travelpod and balaclava

      risk try taking a knife into the hammock with you, it might be that
      piece of mind thing that can let you sleep less worry free.

      well  lets see the things a bring in to the hammock with me are: the
      top bag from my pack which i put the following things ( my hammock
      fits in it perfectly btw), and in that goes a small water bottle, a
      snack or 2, if solo a hand gun, and last but not least a sharp
      knife.  also i put a shirt or socks in it so it works for a pillow.

      my reasons for each are snack and water are obvious... handgun is
      also obvious, and sense i use a hennessey hammock the knife might be
      very nessessary if something goes wrong like the foot end tree falls
      on me and pins the bottom of the hammock down.  as a matter of fact i
      carry a knife everywhere i can and it has been very useful including
      possibly saving a life once.

      BTW i have come up with a new hammock design that crosses the HH with
      the speer and should weigh about 1 lb in it lightest set up, it is a
      modular design so you only have to carry what you will need for
      expected weather. i will post more later as the prototype is built

      white knight
      aka scott

    • Chet Clocksin
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        Scott,
        I'm looking forward to hearing more about your new hammock design. I too had thought about combining some elements of the two hammocks, such as a larger bug net and structural ridgeline. I've used the ridgeline with my speer hammock all season, as it makes set quick up with, no adjusting for the correct sag. I haven't got around to making a bigger bug net yet, and not sure if I will.

        Chet

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
          i use a kelty coyote 4500, which is a 4 lb 3 or so oz pack in stock
          trim. i have or can loose over a pound of that when i want too, i
          like it because i got it cheap and holds 5 days of stuff even during
          the winter. all in side i dont hang stuff on the out side except a
          coat during the winter for easy access during breaks. it has a full
          suspension including load lifters, and i can carry 35 lbs with out
          noticing it ( closer to 25 lbs during the summer )

          the top of the pack is set up to use as a fanny pack when you want i
          removed the straps, because they were annoying.

          white knight
        • subypower
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
            well i wont use a structural ridge line per say it would be a strap
            from one tree to another that the fly can hang off of.

            also the hammock will hook to loops ( multible loops ) on the strap
            so different sags only take a second. different sags apply to useing
            as a chair vrs hammock or even both sides to one loop and it is out
            of the way in 1 sec

            the bug net will also hang from this strap but be removable

            and will have asym tie outs ( i like um )

            now for extreme light weight the ridge strap can be changed to just
            short straps and hung speer style with no bug net or fly

            just think HH shape with speer access, risk's weighted bug net, a
            ridge line you could hang on. A single step in the rain ie : run
            strap to hang both hammock and fly from not 2 seperate steps ie: hang
            fly then hang hammock.]

            etc etc

            hanging whole thing should take 3 mins fly and all

            white knight