I'm wondering......

  • Kim Muller
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2003
      <<We had a cold snap yesterday in the southeast, I was wondering how
      many other hammockers spent last night in their back yards trying out
      their latest 'cold weather solutions'? >>

      I'm just back from a 6 day trip in the Sipsey Wilderness Area. It was definitely cold. I have no idea on temps but I figure in the mid to upper 20s. It was cold enough to have ice a few inches thick in my water bag in the morning. It was also cold enough so that the icicles that formed in the canyons did not melt until the sun touched it at about 3 in the afternoon.

      I was prepared for cold and rain on this trip. Besides my HH, I brought an 8 X 10 silnylon tarp and I'm glad I did. We were base camping and daying hiking out from base camp so I carried more than I normally would. I also brought my blue Target pad, a space blanket underquilt, and my 10 degree sleeping bag.

      The first night was fine, cool and clear skies - comfortable sleeping. The second night was cool but it rained a steady rain all night long. I had the extra tarp over my hammock and I'm glad I did. I still got a little bit wet on one end but slept comfortably warm. The next night gale force winds, heavy rain and cold temps made for a sleepless night. I was really glad for the extra tarp. One of the things I don't like about a hammock is nowhere to store my gear. I had it under my tarp and hammock on a small piece of tyvek. It stayed dry through the whole trip - even in the high winds.

      The cheap Wal-Mart space blanket made very little noise. I had it attached at each end with elastic cord like Rosaleen suggested. I hadn't tried out the whole thing until I got to Sipsey so I didn't realize that it was going to be wide open at each end. I solved that by using an elastic hair tie at the head end to hold it closed. That worked great. The space blanket wasn't exactly long enough to go all the way to the other end of the hammock so I left it open. That ended up being a bit of a rain collector on the rainy nights.

      I'm still unsure of temps on Friday and Sat. evening in NW AL. Does anyone know? Friday evening I wore 2 layers of clothes to bed and was warm all night. Sat. evening I wore 3 layers and my feet were cold all night with socks on.

      All in all, the blue Target pad, space blanket underquilt worked great. I feel the tarp really helped out in blocking the wind. But, I'm not so sure that hammock camping is worth is in cold weather. I love it in warm weather. It's simple, easy, lightweight and comfortable. In cold weather it's more complicated, just as heavy as a tent if you bring all I brought and not as comfortable and warm as a tent.

      Kim
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2003
        Sounds like a good trip. I forget the exact temps especially
        earlier this week but it was cold and windy T-Day with scattered
        showers. I think the high was 44. It was cold and raining Fri
        morning when my wife woke me up to go do some shopping. Fri and Fri
        night was cold and windy. It was 24 deg when I got up around 8 Sat
        morning. It did warm up more Sat to the low 50s. It was 34 Deg
        when I got up around 7 this morning. It got warmer today than the
        last few, mid 50s. It is 46 right now. The rain and wind has not
        been ideal hiking weather but you take what you can get I guess.
        Glad you managed to stay mostly warm.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Muller" <kim004@i...>