Re: I'm wondering....

  • canoetrip_2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
      NO, but I thought about it. <G> I am in Northwest Louisiana at my
      parents' home for Thanksgiving. I have been here since Wednesday
      night. My HH is hanging in the back yard. I have not slept in it
      yet. I have been working on insulation for both the inside and
      outside of the HH.
      For the outside, I am making an insulator out of a standard high
      quality Coughlin space blanket (not those foil-like things we all
      have in our emergency kits). My niece helped me hold it up to the HH
      so I could mark and cut it. It is just about finished. I am
      suspending it under and around the HH using the same method on the
      HH website where they use the cheap noisy space blanket.

      For the inside, I enlisted my Mom, who, unlike me, can sew a
      straight seam, to make a pillow case style enclosure out of a Neat
      Sheet for the Target pad and windshield reflector. Making it pillow
      case style, and leaving extra room, instead of closing off all 4
      sides works great because I can remove the insides for cleaning and
      add more padding if necessary later.

      NOTE: I NEED GOOD PLASTIC GLOVE HOOKS. I bought some flimsy, cheap
      metal ones from a local sewing shop and I am sure that is going to
      be the best I can do in terms of a local source. Does anyone know a
      good mail order source for the kind of glove hooks we use?

      Anyway, both insulators are about finished and I plan to test it out
      tonight. I have been sleeping inside because my brother took his son
      hunting after TG and it has been nice and quiet in the house since
      Friday. The HH is getting use during the day. I have taken some
      delicious naps and my adorable 7 year old niece, who lives next
      door, has been playing in it. I am really enjoying this holiday. I
      needed it. Hope you are all having a lovely weekend.
      Marsanne

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "canoetrip_2000"
        <firefly@e...> wrote:
        "Does anyone know a
        good mail order source for the kind of glove hooks we use?"

        Try one of these sites for 'plastic glove or mitten hooks':

        http://tinyurl.com/x3na

        or

        http://tinyurl.com/x3ng

        Good luck with your project.

        Youngblood
      • canoetrip_2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
          Thanks! Found them, on the first link below, under mitten hooks. I
          just finished the insulator. It fits the hammock, and I am pleased
          with it. The temps feel in the upper 50s. I napped briefly in the
          sunshine. No top layer, blanky, sleeping bag, etc. After about 20
          minutes of dozing my butt was quite warm. I am going to tinker with
          it a bit, use heavier shock cord on the foot/butt end, get a supply
          of these little plastic hooks, but basically I am very pleased with
          it. I have made up a bullspit story to give the boss about why I
          need to stay up here another night instead of going home today so I
          am planning on sleeping out there tonight...especially with my
          brother and his 13 year old son due back from their deer hunt today.
          They fill up the house VERY quickly...
          Marsanne