Re: [Hammock Camping] Not a banana (starting out)

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2003
      polecatpop wrote:

      >When I try sleeping in a standard backyard hammock I always end up
      >in the banana position,
      >
      >Hennesay seems to have solved the problem by sleeping diagonally.
      >How do the other manufacturers handle the problem of creating a
      >reasonably level sleeping surface.

      Same way. The Speer and all of my variants of it sleep across the
      diagonal to be reasonably flat. When I first started sleeping on my
      side, one of my knees hurt a little. Crossing my feet removed that pain.

      When I look at photos of us in these hammocks, they look like we are
      bananas. However, the experience laying/sleeping across the diagonal is
      that it feels flat. There is a nice sweet pocket for the feet off to
      either side of the middle in the Speer hammock. Finding this foot
      pocket is the secret to sleeping on the diagonal.

      Risk
    • Chris Aguilera
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 2003
        Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the feet?  I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with.

        Chris

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
          Chris Aguilera wrote:
          Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the feet?  I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with.
          Hi Chris,

          The Speer and the HH both have a nice place for the feet on either side of the middle.  I have no experience with the Crazy Crib or the Clark to say.  I am sure someone here does.

          Rick

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
            Most hammocks have a sweet spot, the position that gets you
            flattest. Some more than others. A Crazy Crib probably dont have
            much of one while a HH A-sym pretty much picks it for you.

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Aguilera"
            <cwalpole@l...> wrote:
            > Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the
            feet? I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard
            time deciding which one to go with.

            > Chris

            Service.
          • subypower
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
              well chris i use a HH expidition asym, and love it

              the reasons i like it are :

              i move a lot during the night and i think it has more room than a
              speer

              i like the bottom entry for bug reasons, it is fast and no bugs get
              in as well ( bad bugs where i live ... MD )

              i like the bug net in the winter too it does help hold a little heat

              it is cheaper than almost all the other hammocks

              what i dont like are (HH):

              well i drew a blank

              i have tried a speer but not slept in it and my opinions are :

              i think it is a little narrower and i feel more confined in it

              i do like the top entry but i think i can do the HH entry just as fast

              i like the idea of the peapod bag

              and the larger fly of the speer is nice but the HH has kept me dry,
              but i am planning on a larger fly ( one side of a hex fly ) for use
              when outside the hammock

              the best thing i can say is get in both and look at em to see what
              you think, you could make a speer type hammock for a comfort test for
              10 bucks ( not for long term use or even for a week )

              if you ask i am sure there is a tree hanger near you some where that
              would let you take a nap

              white knight
            • Chris Aguilera
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
                Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as white knight puts it below?  I'd be interested in looking at any and all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

                Thanks,

                Chris

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
                  Chris Aguilera wrote:

                  > Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as
                  > white knight puts it below? I'd be interested in looking at any and
                  > all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

                  Hey Chris,

                  Near being a relative term I am in Bakersfield California and would be
                  happy to help you out if'n by near you mean the same state. (At least
                  I'm a lot closer than them East Coasters!!!)

                  I have a couple of spear type hammocks a Bana Travel hammock and I can
                  get my hands on at least one and maybe two Hennessey hammocks with a
                  little bit of notice.

                  Tom
                  Pura Vida