RE: [Hammock Camping] Not a banana (starting out)

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 2003
      > When I try sleeping in a standard backyard hammock I always end up
      > in the banana position, butt down with my knees locked straight.

      Start here, and watch the videos:

      www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hthh.htm

      Shane
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 2003
        polecatpop wrote:

        >When I try sleeping in a standard backyard hammock I always end up
        >in the banana position,
        >
        >Hennesay seems to have solved the problem by sleeping diagonally.
        >How do the other manufacturers handle the problem of creating a
        >reasonably level sleeping surface.

        Same way. The Speer and all of my variants of it sleep across the
        diagonal to be reasonably flat. When I first started sleeping on my
        side, one of my knees hurt a little. Crossing my feet removed that pain.

        When I look at photos of us in these hammocks, they look like we are
        bananas. However, the experience laying/sleeping across the diagonal is
        that it feels flat. There is a nice sweet pocket for the feet off to
        either side of the middle in the Speer hammock. Finding this foot
        pocket is the secret to sleeping on the diagonal.

        Risk
      • Chris Aguilera
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 30, 2003
          Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the feet?  I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with.

          Chris

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
            Chris Aguilera wrote:
            Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the feet?  I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with.
            Hi Chris,

            The Speer and the HH both have a nice place for the feet on either side of the middle.  I have no experience with the Crazy Crib or the Clark to say.  I am sure someone here does.

            Rick

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
              Most hammocks have a sweet spot, the position that gets you
              flattest. Some more than others. A Crazy Crib probably dont have
              much of one while a HH A-sym pretty much picks it for you.

              Coy Boy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Aguilera"
              <cwalpole@l...> wrote:
              > Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the
              feet? I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard
              time deciding which one to go with.

              > Chris

              Service.
            • subypower
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
                well chris i use a HH expidition asym, and love it

                the reasons i like it are :

                i move a lot during the night and i think it has more room than a
                speer

                i like the bottom entry for bug reasons, it is fast and no bugs get
                in as well ( bad bugs where i live ... MD )

                i like the bug net in the winter too it does help hold a little heat

                it is cheaper than almost all the other hammocks

                what i dont like are (HH):

                well i drew a blank

                i have tried a speer but not slept in it and my opinions are :

                i think it is a little narrower and i feel more confined in it

                i do like the top entry but i think i can do the HH entry just as fast

                i like the idea of the peapod bag

                and the larger fly of the speer is nice but the HH has kept me dry,
                but i am planning on a larger fly ( one side of a hex fly ) for use
                when outside the hammock

                the best thing i can say is get in both and look at em to see what
                you think, you could make a speer type hammock for a comfort test for
                10 bucks ( not for long term use or even for a week )

                if you ask i am sure there is a tree hanger near you some where that
                would let you take a nap

                white knight
              • Chris Aguilera
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
                  Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as white knight puts it below?  I'd be interested in looking at any and all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

                  Thanks,

                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Chris Aguilera wrote:

                    > Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as
                    > white knight puts it below? I'd be interested in looking at any and
                    > all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

                    Hey Chris,

                    Near being a relative term I am in Bakersfield California and would be
                    happy to help you out if'n by near you mean the same state. (At least
                    I'm a lot closer than them East Coasters!!!)

                    I have a couple of spear type hammocks a Bana Travel hammock and I can
                    get my hands on at least one and maybe two Hennessey hammocks with a
                    little bit of notice.

                    Tom
                    Pura Vida