Not a banana (starting out)

  • polecatpop
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 2003
      Ok,
      After piddling around with cheap backyard hammocks and other
      inappropriate matters I'm finally ready to step up to a
      real "camping hammock".

      I have 3 main goals:
      1) Avoid the small night critters.
      2) Get a good nights sleep
      3) Impress my Boy Scouts (and other leaders)
      4) weight is an issue but comfort trumps weight anytime.

      When I try sleeping in a standard backyard hammock I always end up
      in the banana position, butt down with my knees locked straight.
      This quickly becomes painful. If I try rolling on my side my hip is
      stressed sideways and it slowly gets awkward. Some time around 2 am
      I end up just rolling out of the hammock to get some sleep on the
      more comfortable cold hard ground.

      Hennesay seems to have solved the problem by sleeping diagonally.
      How do the other manufacturers handle the problem of creating a
      reasonably level sleeping surface.

      Advice and suggestions especially from those who have tried various
      different designs would be appreciated.

      If it matters, I'm 5 ft 13 in (6-1), 210 lbs, not as limber as I
      used to be and most of my camping is around Pocatello, Idaho (
      juniper, pine, quakie)

      Once I get started I will want to expand three seasons plus.

      I wanna be a tree hanger, but not a banana
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 29, 2003
        > When I try sleeping in a standard backyard hammock I always end up
        > in the banana position, butt down with my knees locked straight.

        Start here, and watch the videos:

        www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hthh.htm

        Shane
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 30, 2003
          polecatpop wrote:

          >When I try sleeping in a standard backyard hammock I always end up
          >in the banana position,
          >
          >Hennesay seems to have solved the problem by sleeping diagonally.
          >How do the other manufacturers handle the problem of creating a
          >reasonably level sleeping surface.

          Same way. The Speer and all of my variants of it sleep across the
          diagonal to be reasonably flat. When I first started sleeping on my
          side, one of my knees hurt a little. Crossing my feet removed that pain.

          When I look at photos of us in these hammocks, they look like we are
          bananas. However, the experience laying/sleeping across the diagonal is
          that it feels flat. There is a nice sweet pocket for the feet off to
          either side of the middle in the Speer hammock. Finding this foot
          pocket is the secret to sleeping on the diagonal.

          Risk
        • Chris Aguilera
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 30, 2003
            Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the feet?  I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with.

            Chris

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
              Chris Aguilera wrote:
              Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the feet?  I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with.
              Hi Chris,

              The Speer and the HH both have a nice place for the feet on either side of the middle.  I have no experience with the Crazy Crib or the Clark to say.  I am sure someone here does.

              Rick

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
                Most hammocks have a sweet spot, the position that gets you
                flattest. Some more than others. A Crazy Crib probably dont have
                much of one while a HH A-sym pretty much picks it for you.

                Coy Boy

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Aguilera"
                <cwalpole@l...> wrote:
                > Is the Speer the only hammock with the "sweet pocket" for the
                feet? I'm getting a hammock for Christmas and I'm having a hard
                time deciding which one to go with.

                > Chris

                Service.
              • subypower
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
                  well chris i use a HH expidition asym, and love it

                  the reasons i like it are :

                  i move a lot during the night and i think it has more room than a
                  speer

                  i like the bottom entry for bug reasons, it is fast and no bugs get
                  in as well ( bad bugs where i live ... MD )

                  i like the bug net in the winter too it does help hold a little heat

                  it is cheaper than almost all the other hammocks

                  what i dont like are (HH):

                  well i drew a blank

                  i have tried a speer but not slept in it and my opinions are :

                  i think it is a little narrower and i feel more confined in it

                  i do like the top entry but i think i can do the HH entry just as fast

                  i like the idea of the peapod bag

                  and the larger fly of the speer is nice but the HH has kept me dry,
                  but i am planning on a larger fly ( one side of a hex fly ) for use
                  when outside the hammock

                  the best thing i can say is get in both and look at em to see what
                  you think, you could make a speer type hammock for a comfort test for
                  10 bucks ( not for long term use or even for a week )

                  if you ask i am sure there is a tree hanger near you some where that
                  would let you take a nap

                  white knight
                • Chris Aguilera
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
                    Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as white knight puts it below?  I'd be interested in looking at any and all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

                    Thanks,

                    Chris

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
                      Chris Aguilera wrote:

                      > Any tree hangers near Sonora, CA who would let me "take a nap" as
                      > white knight puts it below? I'd be interested in looking at any and
                      > all brands of backpacking type hammocks.

                      Hey Chris,

                      Near being a relative term I am in Bakersfield California and would be
                      happy to help you out if'n by near you mean the same state. (At least
                      I'm a lot closer than them East Coasters!!!)

                      I have a couple of spear type hammocks a Bana Travel hammock and I can
                      get my hands on at least one and maybe two Hennessey hammocks with a
                      little bit of notice.

                      Tom
                      Pura Vida