I'm wondering....

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2003
      We had a cold snap yesterday in the southeast, I was wondering how
      many other hammockers spent last night in their back yards trying out
      their latest 'cold weather solutions'? It only got to the high 20s
      with some moderate gusts where I am at but I gave my winter tarp a
      try... got a good nights sleep and was especially glad that I took a
      pee bottle with me-- sure didn't want to have to get all the way out
      of my warm hammock.

      Youngblood
    • canoetrip_2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
        NO, but I thought about it. <G> I am in Northwest Louisiana at my
        parents' home for Thanksgiving. I have been here since Wednesday
        night. My HH is hanging in the back yard. I have not slept in it
        yet. I have been working on insulation for both the inside and
        outside of the HH.
        For the outside, I am making an insulator out of a standard high
        quality Coughlin space blanket (not those foil-like things we all
        have in our emergency kits). My niece helped me hold it up to the HH
        so I could mark and cut it. It is just about finished. I am
        suspending it under and around the HH using the same method on the
        HH website where they use the cheap noisy space blanket.

        For the inside, I enlisted my Mom, who, unlike me, can sew a
        straight seam, to make a pillow case style enclosure out of a Neat
        Sheet for the Target pad and windshield reflector. Making it pillow
        case style, and leaving extra room, instead of closing off all 4
        sides works great because I can remove the insides for cleaning and
        add more padding if necessary later.

        NOTE: I NEED GOOD PLASTIC GLOVE HOOKS. I bought some flimsy, cheap
        metal ones from a local sewing shop and I am sure that is going to
        be the best I can do in terms of a local source. Does anyone know a
        good mail order source for the kind of glove hooks we use?

        Anyway, both insulators are about finished and I plan to test it out
        tonight. I have been sleeping inside because my brother took his son
        hunting after TG and it has been nice and quiet in the house since
        Friday. The HH is getting use during the day. I have taken some
        delicious naps and my adorable 7 year old niece, who lives next
        door, has been playing in it. I am really enjoying this holiday. I
        needed it. Hope you are all having a lovely weekend.
        Marsanne

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "canoetrip_2000"
          <firefly@e...> wrote:
          "Does anyone know a
          good mail order source for the kind of glove hooks we use?"

          Try one of these sites for 'plastic glove or mitten hooks':

          http://tinyurl.com/x3na

          or

          http://tinyurl.com/x3ng

          Good luck with your project.

          Youngblood
        • canoetrip_2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2003
            Thanks! Found them, on the first link below, under mitten hooks. I
            just finished the insulator. It fits the hammock, and I am pleased
            with it. The temps feel in the upper 50s. I napped briefly in the
            sunshine. No top layer, blanky, sleeping bag, etc. After about 20
            minutes of dozing my butt was quite warm. I am going to tinker with
            it a bit, use heavier shock cord on the foot/butt end, get a supply
            of these little plastic hooks, but basically I am very pleased with
            it. I have made up a bullspit story to give the boss about why I
            need to stay up here another night instead of going home today so I
            am planning on sleeping out there tonight...especially with my
            brother and his 13 year old son due back from their deer hunt today.
            They fill up the house VERY quickly...
            Marsanne