Hammocking Hall of Fame--a proposal...........

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2003
      Just got out of the hot tub, 22 degrees here 2.5 miles south of Roan
      High Knob and one thought I had while soaking was that I should be in
      my Crib/Ponderosa but the Chivas Regal took that thought away and
      replaced it with another.....
      We probably all agree that hammocking has given a new dimension to
      backpacking-analogies to sliced bread come to mind, and this search,
      sojourn realy to find the means to hammock in the deep dark cold of
      winter raises several names to mind. These names should enter the
      Hammocking Hall of Fame...
      Ray Garlington-the inventor of the Garlington Taco, a device that I
      emulated and gained 3 seasons of hammocking...the Taco made it simple
      for anyone of any skill level to fashion a rig that would defeat cold
      to the 40's maybe even mid 30's depending on which insulation is used.
      Risk- the inventor of the TravelPod (is that the official name that
      will stick?), borrowing from the Speer PeaPod he has created a pod of
      his own that will allow differing amounts of insulation to be added
      and therefore the ability to vary based on conditions-but most
      importantly it is affordable by the average man (can we call
      backpackers men in lieu of maniancs?). Granted it is a modification
      of a proven design, i.e. the PeaPOd, it gave us all the clear sight
      that 20dollars of ripstop nylon stuffed with insulation can propel
      the hammock into the 20's if not colder.
      Ed Speer- no credit for his hammock-sorry Ed but your PeaPod is the
      answer for 30 degrees and colder, in fact your PeaPod realized the
      fact that the bug netting on the Hennessey is worthless in these
      temps and that the bottom entry while brilliant in the other three
      seasons is inconsequential when facing father north.
      Tom Hennessey-the father of the revolution. I have to wonder why he
      didnt see into the future and that we would want the comfort he gave
      us throughout the year, nevertheless Tom is not only genius within
      the backpack but a good man as well. His genius and Ed Speer's should
      be acclaimed by all why seek the trees.

      With all this said I look at my feable Crib/Ponderosa (still untested)
      and wonder in which direction the true inovators
      (Speer,Garlington,Risk,Hennessey) will take us. I know that I am
      truly glad/thankful that I will not have to spend a fortune hiring
      Nunatak Gear to sew an underquilt for me. I am just as thankful that
      my Taco has served me well from March to November in all weather
      imaginable.

      So in closing I ask all hammockers to invoke the secret rites and
      rituals and invite these fine fellows with packs on their backs into
      the Hammocking Hall of Fame.
      With Hanging Regards---------
      Medicine Man