Re: [Hammock Camping] Risk -- quarter weight questions

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2003
      A couple words from Risk on the subject:

      Chet Clocksin wrote:
      Steve,

      Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to this project. I'm still a little confused about how to cut and attach the bugnet. I think Risk said to cut one long edge of the bugnet  football shaped, then pin that curved edge to the long straight edge(s) of the hammock body and sew that one edge together. Do I have that right?

      Yep.  Pin the noseeum between two layers of cloth.  If they have a right/wrong side, their wrong sides should be out on the stack.  When I turn them over to hide the raw edges, the right sides are out.
      And you just sew the short ends together, and then a couple feet down from the ends on the long side that doesn't have the bugnet in it?

      I do not sew the short edges together... no reason to do so.  I do *not* sew the bugnet to the end.  Its tension needs to be adjusted with the overhand knots to leave a nice tight ridge.  About three feet down each side of the two layers of hammock cloth is right.

      I really like the sounds of having removeable hanging straps! Do you mean that you just tie a bowline in the end of the strap, make loop with it, and tighten it over the hammock knot?

      OTOH, I could much more quickly just clip the bartacking with a knife than I could untie a bowline tied in webbing.  If I need to do a repair in the field, then a bowline seems like a nice way to do it; or even a simple slip knot.

      Thanks,

      Chet

    • Chet Clocksin
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 28, 2003
        Risk,
        Thanks for the clarification. I'll let you know how it turns out.
        And BTW, Nice insulator! Iooks like a "hammock Bivy" to me. Now I've already got another project to think about...I can't wait to hear more details.

        Chet

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2003
          Chet,

          Yes, the bowline loop itself is small, maybe only a couple inches in diameter. The long end is then threaded through that loop to form a sliding loop, which tightens over the hammock knot. I didn't use a simple slip knot for fear it would untie under tension.