Re: [Hammock Camping] TravelPod - a new insulator

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 28, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <simva4040@y...>
      wrote:
      > Risk-Beautiful job on teh TravelPod....can't say how good it looks
      except outstanding...I will be ordering more sil-nyl to copy you,
      still have 12 oz of Primaloft left over from a previous order for
      underquilts, maybe the two materials will get together.
      > Medicine Man

      I'll be interested in your try... Personally, I will not make a sack
      like this with silnylon unless it were against my skin. I believe
      this contraption, made from silnylon would soak my sleeping bag with
      my own insensitive water loss from skin.

      BTW, details on measurements later, but even with my 4 foot wide
      hammock, I needed to add about 8 inches of width to a standard 60 inch
      wide piece of cloth to do the design. It requires a piece of cloth 8
      feet by six feet, but can be done with a piece 8x5 if the scraps from
      head and foot are pieced into the central 5 feet of one long edge.

      Rick
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 28, 2003
        "Ray Garlington" wrote:

        > Rick,
        >
        > I like this idea. From the picture it looks like the pod is drooping
        > a little in the shoulder area. You might have to add a cinch line to
        > pull up the bottom so that the insulating layer touches your back.
        >
        > I think you will be able to go below zero with that contraption!
        > Ray

        Thanks for the ideas Ray. It began as a symetric bag buttoned from
        head to toe. However, it just took too long to do up the ten central
        buttons with my eyes shut and from the inside. So I got rid of the
        buttons, and added the zipper.

        Actually, the travel pod is a little tight right at my neck, leaving
        less room for air to collect. I think I will add an inch there,
        giving me a little more dead air space. The best way to do the zipper
        is to have an opening zipper at the foot end and to close the last 18
        inches with buttons. That way it can easily be added to an already
        hanging hammock in the middle of a colder than expected night.

        It remains a work in progress.