Re: [Hammock Camping] TravelPod - a new insulator

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 28, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Harper" <pharper@k...>
      wrote:
      > That looks like a very good looking design. I look forward to
      seeing how it
      > holds up, how much is the final weight?

      It scrunches to the size of a soft ball. Scale is at work, but first
      guess is about 5 oz. It can be stored on the hammock inside the
      hammock tube.

      First night was quite warm... blowing rain at about 38 degrees. I
      was *much warmer* than on my latest section hike and wearing less
      clothing. Tonight is forcast into the mid twenties.

      Rick
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 28, 2003
        "Coy" wrote:
        > Yep That looks pretty cool...OK warm. Is the 1.1 oz nylon coated.
        > I suspect not so it will breathe a little. Like Patrick asked: How
        > much does it weigh?

        Uncoated ripstop... I have to admit to guessing about the material.
        It was bought as 1.9 oz ripstop seconds. However, it feels much more
        like 1.1 oz ripstop. It is the material from the only hammock I have
        ever had fail. Therefore I believe it is 1.1 oz.

        Yep, I would *not* advise making one out of silnylon. It needs to
        breathe.

        Weight: "patience, Grasshopper..."

        Rick
      • Risk
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2003
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <simva4040@y...>
          wrote:
          > Risk-Beautiful job on teh TravelPod....can't say how good it looks
          except outstanding...I will be ordering more sil-nyl to copy you,
          still have 12 oz of Primaloft left over from a previous order for
          underquilts, maybe the two materials will get together.
          > Medicine Man

          I'll be interested in your try... Personally, I will not make a sack
          like this with silnylon unless it were against my skin. I believe
          this contraption, made from silnylon would soak my sleeping bag with
          my own insensitive water loss from skin.

          BTW, details on measurements later, but even with my 4 foot wide
          hammock, I needed to add about 8 inches of width to a standard 60 inch
          wide piece of cloth to do the design. It requires a piece of cloth 8
          feet by six feet, but can be done with a piece 8x5 if the scraps from
          head and foot are pieced into the central 5 feet of one long edge.

          Rick
        • Risk
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 28, 2003
            "Ray Garlington" wrote:

            > Rick,
            >
            > I like this idea. From the picture it looks like the pod is drooping
            > a little in the shoulder area. You might have to add a cinch line to
            > pull up the bottom so that the insulating layer touches your back.
            >
            > I think you will be able to go below zero with that contraption!
            > Ray

            Thanks for the ideas Ray. It began as a symetric bag buttoned from
            head to toe. However, it just took too long to do up the ten central
            buttons with my eyes shut and from the inside. So I got rid of the
            buttons, and added the zipper.

            Actually, the travel pod is a little tight right at my neck, leaving
            less room for air to collect. I think I will add an inch there,
            giving me a little more dead air space. The best way to do the zipper
            is to have an opening zipper at the foot end and to close the last 18
            inches with buttons. That way it can easily be added to an already
            hanging hammock in the middle of a colder than expected night.

            It remains a work in progress.